Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis signs order withholding school funds over mask mandate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Jul 31, 2021.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

If masks work, why did CA blow up when they had well over 90% mask compliance? Just bad luck? Come on. I can post chart after chart showing cases blowing up where mask usage was over 90%. IF masks worked, there would be a clear delineation between states where mask usage was high and. Low. And then there is the case of India, where mask usage was extremely high and that didn’t matter at all. Look at the UK. IF masks work, why did cases drop like a stone when they dropped the mask mandate? More luck? Let’s use common sense. I know that’s he’s for some to do, but it is needed here.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    What do the next two sentences say?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How did they adjust it? This wasn’t a real RCT trial since they didn’t use the data provided.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s really simple. All adults have been offered the vaccine. If you don’t want it, that’s on you. Get back to life. If a parent wants to vaccinate or mask their kid, that’s their choice. Let’s get on with life. Those who choose to risk their life by not vaccinating, we can’t do anything about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    India was f?$ced by the delta variant, twice as high R0, and they have 1.5 billion people to infect.

Masks don’t to shit if you are in a bar or some high density situation. The whole point is to give you that 30-40% barrier on top of trying to stay 6’ apart. This is why mask mandates in grocery stores make sense. In schools make sense. In hospitals it’s full masks and back to limited visitation. In restaurants? Not so much, but I guess it’s better than nothing to try and keep the workers safe. But when you sit down and eat the mask comes off, so then it’s more about the “density” and air filtration.

I would also opine that delta variant probably (logically) does make masks less effective, there must be some reason it spreads 2x as quickly as before (the reported viral loads are much higher).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009
    I think the Desantis mandate is inappropriate. But, you can make a logical, evidence based argument that the frequency of serious illness among the vaccinated, and children, is low, and in fact as low or lower than the flu.

7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Masks help. Period end of story.
    No matter how many one off out of context charts you post it doesn’t change anything.
    The problem is us. People. We don’t use them right, we don’t avoid situations that we should. Wearing a mask to a restaurant is fricken pointless when you take it off for 40 minutes to eat and drink.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’d have no problem with this if it wasn’t already overrunning hospitals in some areas. I’d say let Darwinism work. Problem is there’s too much Darwinism going on, and it seems to be an escalating problem.

Once the problem gets large enough, it impacts more than just the loud and proud Darwin candidate’s. You start hurting the economy, hurting the strained hospitals, spilling over more cases to vulnerable people, even those who are fully vaccinated but whose immunity has waned, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Right, I’m not even passionately for a statewide mask mandate in schools. A month ago i probably have said, why mask? Just 100% vaccinate the teachers and then let the parents choose. If you get at least half the kids vaccinated, and 100% teachers, that would pretty well cover bad outcomes. You might have a rare tragedy for an unvaxxed child, but it indeed would be rare.

But to take away local ability to respond to an outbreak? That’s beyond just dumb. It’s borderline criminal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

We aren’t “overrunning” hospitals. When we are well over 100%(most can go to 125% if needed). The media is making it significantly worse than it really is. Social media doesn’t help either. We have vaccinated over half our population. If others don’t want to do it then I’d they die, they die. Can’t fix stupid. Don’t vax or mask kids. That’s my only argument.

11. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

The Majority of the Best Scientific Studies Show Masks are Useless, So Why Do People Keep Claiming They Work? – DailyVeracity
    The Majority of the Best Scientific Studies Show Masks are Useless, So Why Do People Keep Claiming They Work?

Another ecological study of state mask mandates and their use – which included data from the winter case spike – has found that widespread mask-wearing didn’t slow the spread of COVID-19.

The study, conducted by the University of Louisville using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that “80% of US states mandated masks during the COVID-19 pandemic,” but while “mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima).” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

Additionally, the vast majority of gold-standard scientific research compiled over multiple decades, conclude masks are completely ineffective at preventing the spread of respiratory illnesses, and that healthcare workers wear them solely to block big droplets.

This means that the only way to remove bias from scientific research in the medical field is with randomized clinical trials. Contrary to popular belief, every single RCT ever performed on mask usage and prevention of infection for laboratory-confirmed influenza, the common cold, or other respiratory viruses shows that masks are ineffective.

There is a sum total of zero randomized clinical trials showing that masks prevent any of the aforementioned illnesses. As you read through the following trial summaries and their conclusions, recall the damage we have already knowingly inflicted upon the population, and the health risks of the shutdowns that we have already consciously accepted in our quest to “trust the science.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There are actually hospitals that are constrained already. Back at full ICU.

If that continues they can do things like cancel elective procedures (as they did before), convert areas of the hospital to at least create a bed. But come on, surely you must find having to do that as totally ridiculous with a vaccine 97% at keeping people out of hospitals.

13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Thanks for the link to a crazy right wing website that relied primarily on old studies.

Can face masks protect against coronavirus?

In addition to masks, social distance.

You should really try to get information from sources other than right wing garbage that misrepresents scientific data.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    ok now show us the link listing all the studies that show masks help. We’ll wait.

hint - search masks covid in google scholar. You’ll get it pretty quick. Lots more studies showing masks are effective.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How about you mask up and leave us alone with your BS

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Already happening in my area but the hospitals "aren't getting overrun"...

17. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL You and others just need to worry about yourselves and quit trying to force your BS views on fellow Americans, you do realize that probably more than half of America thinks you and other are crazy

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey I didn't call you senseless but I will agree that you are

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Surely not you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    LOL, although it’s really sad that folks like you have zero understanding of public health and have no concern for your fellow citizens. It’s pathetic actually.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5