Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis signs law making texting while driving a primary offense

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorknights, May 17, 2019.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    DeSantis signs law making texting while driving primary offense

"The penalty for a first offense would be $30 plus court costs. A second offense within five years would result in a $60 penalty plus court costs and three points on the driver’s license."

$30????? For REAL????? So putting people's life in danger because some punk wants their text returned immediately is only worth $30? Some freaking deterrent. Should we just make DUI's only a $30 fine?

Photo op: Epic win.

Effectiveness of safety: Epic fail.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    How much are typical court costs in a case like this?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    It should be the same as DUI, at least on second offense.

Actually, all fines should be wealth based if they are to have any punishment factor. I saw in one of the Nordic countries, a speedin* ticket of $20k as it was based on wealth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I assume there would be very little if you plead guilty, like with a speeding ticket.

5. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Like a DUI? That's an automatic license suspension! That's a bit much. I think there should be points even on the first offense, but steep fines and license suspension for a first or even second offense seem a bit extreme.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    It’s just as or more dangerous than DUI. If it’s too tough for texting then it’s too tough for DUI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I remember reading about that as well. The question then becomes what of those that not so well to do financially. Your honor I am in bankruptcy at the moment.

8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    500 for first offense
    1000 for 2nd
    6 month suspension for 3rd.

Steep fines are the only way to enforce it. People don't give a crap for a 30 dollar fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    If the fines get reported to the insurance company and the insurance rates go up it will be a whole lot more than $30.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    How much value do we assign to arrogantly and carelessly putting everyone around us lives in danger by something sooooo important and necessary as texting? I won't speak for anyone else, but my safety is worth a bit more that $30. Or $300. Or $300,000. Maybe it's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Does it mean the police can now force you to unlock your phone?

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What about what’s app messaging, emailing, Instagram or Facebook posting? Or posting on GC?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    Maybe it’s time to go into the car window tinting business.

I drive Uber/Lyft and have had several passengers talk about their attorney representing them for DUIs and attorneys don’t come cheap.

I’ve also seen students riding their scooters down the street texting.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  14. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I doubt it unless there is an accident or something like that. Probably just the cops word he saw you texting to fine you. I thought this was made a primary in FL a few years back.

15. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In my state, they can force you to take DUI tests. A refusal to consent to breathalyzer or blood test can, and likely will, be treated as a failed test. If you want a North Carolina license you have to agree to the applied consent law. This doesn’t just mean you waive your right to drive for a period of time, but can be convicted of DUI without any test of your BLood alcohol level.

It seems the phone, text, social media while driving is so prevalent that there is a fear to pass laws strong enough to curtail it.

Stand on a street corner long enough to see the percentage of drivers looking at their phones. Can you imagine the outrage if the same percentage were holding a Budweiser on the top of the steering wheel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    Make it against the law to lie to your phone, it asks you if your driving before you can manually text.:))))

I guess the policeman’s word will be used and you will have to provide a transcript from cell company that contradicts him/her as evidence to the contrary.

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that it has no real teeth to it, considering how dangerous texting and driving really is. It should be points and $100 for a first offense, and... $500 and license suspension (3 months) on the second offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah as others have stated $30 is nothing...not even a wrist slap...and not only that but you have to hope the cops pull them over to begin with...otherwise what’s the point in a law if you don’t enforce it? It’s funny how many people I see driving around with expired tags...I’m thinking how do they not get caught? My only guess is the cop is too lazy to pull them over....and plus I wonder when someone does get pulled over, they can erase the texts before the cop gets to their window and it becomes a he said she said....to me the most foolproof way is to install a feature in the car that disables cellphones other than making/receiving calls when the car is in motion...in this age of technology I find it hard to believe that couldn’t be done

19. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    It scares the hell on me to drive around Gainesville seeing all those students texting all the time. Also at any given time at a red light pretty much everybody's on their phones

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Police will love this as it allows them to pull any car over at any time for any reason. “I saw you looking down at your phone” is now a valid excuse for a traffic stop. Great. It is a problem but phone designers/providers need to install a permanent application that will prevent communication outside of talking while driving a car. They should legislate that instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1