Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis says bring on the cargo ships to florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Oct 21, 2021.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So send the ones that will fit.
    Get working now to add capacity on trucking and rail as well as crane guys.

Work the problem or just let the ships sit in the Pacific.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    not enough skilled workforce, not cheap enough. if we buy less but pay more for it and keep the work here that works for me. maybe people have too much stuff because it is too cheap to get

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Working with many multi-billion dollar Pharma companies I will say yes sometime big companies have people who make stupid decisions without a thought to the cost.

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Are you suggesting that the GOV can really make college free?

The massive increase in college costs is directly related to the feds allowing more money to be borrowed to pay for college.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    You mean like when DeSantis set up numerous MAB infusion centers around the state for people with COVID right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    I was listening to the news last nice concerning the west coast ports. For some reason they are not using Port of Oakland. It sounds like worker shortages there caused the slowdown at that port, previously. Following that SNAFU, the businesses decided to "skip the port". There is also an increase in travel time back to China (like 1 ship per year). Sounds like profits override delivery in that case. That would be the best option and appears some shipping is coming back to Oakland. I agree that the governors comments are BS an the idea of using Florida ports is noise in the system, and De Satan trying to score political points.

• Like Like x 1
  7. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Serious question, IF this was feasible both logistically and financially don't you think that they would already be doing it? Don't you think that the shipping companies involved would be able to recognize this? Do you think that they were just waiting for our governor to suggest it?

C'mon man, use your head.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I think after watching a delay in the roll out of MAB for Covid in the US I would not assume that any company is perfect.
    In the middle of rebuilding a house , the lunacy is nuts, for example Lighting dealer says 8 weeks to get a certain light, wife finds same exact one on Amazon it's here in 4 days. Many examples with other items also.
    Point is don't always assume a problem is being addressed. it's not uncommon for big business to ride out and issue if they think it's a short term problem(not worth the effort to redirect.)
    If the shippers were so perfect how did they not see this issue coming to begin with I'll ask......

9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    So why don't you just be honest and just say, "Our argument is based solely on anti Trump & anti DeSantis sentiments. It has nothing to do with trying to solve a problem. We don't care about real problems only about badmouthing opponents."

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    If the companies were not using the Port of Oakland, due to assumed small loss in profit margin compared to SoCal ports, there is no way they would consider Florida ports. It is all smoke being blown by De Satan. As I have stated in other posts, we need to become untethered from China. I am still pissed at Carter/Reagan/Bush for making the decision to recognize China. In 1979 the U.S. and China reestablished diplomatic relations and signed a bilateral trade agreement. Oh well, another thing we can blame on the US government. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    How did they not see post pandemic demand creating more volume than capacity in time to build more ports, docks, boats? Really?

12. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You didn't really answer the question though. The shipping companies at this point don't think that it's cost effective to move their container ships to Florida. They are ramping up port operations in California but the truck driver shortage is one the major drivers of this problem.

Your example of lighting is irrelevant as the lighting dealer didn't have it in stock but Amazon already did. That's why you got it quickly. I have a new fan sitting in a container ship in Savannah so I get your aggravation but that's a function of one business having it in stock and the other choosing not to tie up their money in inventory.

• Like Like x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    because that was not and is not my intent. DeSantis did right by trying to get freight to Florida ports. I imagine that ports in Alabama and New Orleans are doing the same thing but their governors aren't running for potus so we don't hear about it. i was under the impression that you were comparing trump and biden. I will agree that biden has issues but trump and his zealots are a threat to our democracy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    My comment remains valid. If the shipping container fleet won't move to Oakland because of profit margins, why would they ever consider Florida or other east coast ports? I am sure De Satan knew this and was only trying to score political points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It was very nice of the arsonist to spray some water at the building he helped set aflame.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Government makes K-12 free. No reason that they couldn't extend that if they chose to spend the money to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    An associate's degree is already free here in Florida for high school students that choose dual enrollment courses. Instead of converting community colleges to "state colleges", we should have taken advantage of these existing campuses for strictly AAs and vocational/technical certificate programs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Calling one of our country’s most respect and revered scientists Lord Fauci makes me think the previous simpleton comparisons are correct.

19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The Dems are colluding across state lines like California to intentionally cripple our economy... All part of the plan.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    You really need to lay off the Qool-aid :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1