Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis says bring on the cargo ships to florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Oct 21, 2021.

1. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I think you maybe can understand this. You have two kids at the tryouts who can't seem to be able to hit the ball. One stands there and takes strikes all day. The other swings at strikes but usually misses. One has no chance of hitting the ball, the other may some day hit it out of the park. Which kid do you want on your team?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Total grandstanding. Nothing more. Don't insult your intelligence by taking it serious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The ports aren't really the issue lol. Its getting the containers on trucks that aren't there. And I'd hate to tell Ron that much of that work pre-pandemic was done by non-documented labor.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The dude went to Harvard. I'm almost sure he does in fact know this stuff. He also clearly believes that his base is either too stupid to know or too partisan to care. Our politicians continue to focus on what pleases their constituents over what benefits them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    One week round trip through the Panama
    One week round trip through the Panama Canal? I just looked up the distance by sea from the Port of L.A. to the Port of Tampa. It's about 4500 miles one way and that doesn't include the length of the canal. If a ship does 20 knots per hour 24/7 that comes out to 3360 nautical miles. A container ship doing 30 knots per hour will go 5040 miles in a week if it doesn't have to slow down or stop. How many container ships do 30 knots? I don't think I've ever seen one do 20 knots per hour and I've spent a pretty good amount of time on the ocean. Check your source of information on your post, please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Perhaps free trucking school too, if it helps address our shortage of truck drivers.

8. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Come on man, you know rich lib attorneys don't care about mundane problems such as supply chains, especially if a pub governor is offering to help out.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No. It takes years to prepare a port. That's why the US has very few of them. The US has 99 ports officially, and Florida has 6 ports - Port of Tampa Bay, Port Everglades, Port of Jacksonville, Port of Miami, Port Canaveral, and Port Manatee. But these ports aren't made for massive imports like Long Beach and Los Angeles. You could combine all of Florida's ports and it still would be smaller than the Port of Los Angeles.

The other issue is logistics. Since the vast majority of imports come from China, Florida is out of the question. In fact, the only ports that can logistically work have to be located on the west coast. The east coast is used for other imports from the UK, South America, Europe, Africa, etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Shipping from China to the west coast takes 14 days. From China to the east coast/Florida, 30 days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    neither. Trump hit out of the park with his fund raising machine, deficit spending, tax cuts for rich, hijacking of the pub party by the extremes, and undermining the confidence in US elections (somewhere Putin is smiling). i think it is more akin to one hits a dribbling single or lays down a bunt on occasion while they other flails miserably resulting in an occasional pop out or thrown bat/catcher hit in the head, etc

• Like Like x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Except your analogy isn't on point because DeSantis knows exactly what he's doing. The kid swinging at pitches is genuinely trying. DeSantis isn't. He's simply trying to create the perception that he's doing something when he isn't. I guess it works, because people like yourself fall for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    DeSantis latest announcement:

Florida citizens available to play for any MLB team
    Tallahassee - Ron DeSantis announced today that there are plenty of middle aged sports fans that are available for any MLB team to use for the playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think Tommy Frazier just scored again. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, a port that does 135K TEUs is a monster. No need to build any infrastructure to take the pressure off of multiple ports that do more than 30x of that type of business. I am sure they have truly massive amounts of excess capacity on that port that did 135K TEUs to handle the overflow of ports doing over 4 millions TEUs a year. Also, I am sure that they have enough access to infrastructure to get the containers from that tiny port into the supply chain within the US.

I guess next he could start promoting the amazing ski slopes of Florida as we get towards winter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I guess we could manufacture things in the US and take out the shipping middleman?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It will cost more, but it would be better for our country.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    NO!

Autarky is the road to poverty. trade is the greatest wealth creating thing there is

19. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Sure. CC does all sorts of vocational training too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sure, if we are trying to make the world wealthy :)

But the theoretical is irrelevant here, Americans have voted with their wallets and we aren't willing to pay more for Made in America. American labor isn't competitive in global markets and so the only things that will be made here are things that require high levels of skill, or things that aren't easily transported.

• Like Like x 1