Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis says bring on the cargo ships to florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Oct 21, 2021.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    That was my thought. I mean, if it's feasible, that'd be great.
    But if it is feasible, would it never have occurred to the shipping companies?

• Like Like x 1
  2. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course but shouldn’t leaders be at least promoting them even if only for political points? It’s what pols do.

3. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Politician 1———‘free community college’.
    GatorCountry left—— “. Brilliant. The type of nuanced thinking we need “. Forward looking “. “ breath of fresh air in intellectual thinking “

Politician 2—-“ come use our ports and ease the delays. We have capacity and capability “
    GatorCountry Left—— “ thats pure pandering idiot Maga boobs and red necks. Pathetic. Pandering. Thinking the worst of his base.

thanks for clarification. Got it

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, government can allocate funding to change the pricing on something provided by government. Government can't magically invent ports and supporting infrastructure instantaneously. It really isn't complicated.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    Didnt newsome just prevent any state funded business /travel from cali to Florida. If you were one of the very smart Harvard educated attorneys working at those wealthy business in Cali, then Florida isn’t viable

6. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015

government supplies college education and just has to ‘ change the price to $0. that’s is definitely some nuance. Ports exist and have for long time. I grew up in tampa and seen them grow. Or maybe they were Russian. I don’t remember

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, most community colleges are run by governments. Do you not realize that? And yes, the government heavily subsidizes them, generally, so it just requires more subsidization from the government to lower the price further.

Again, the Port of Tampa Bay has two berths for container ships. That is tiny. Could that be changed? Sure. In a matter of years after substantial spending to do so. Beyond that, you need to get the containers out of there, which it is also not set up to do on even the same level of magnitude as the large ports. Again, years of work to change that, even setting aside the specific issues that would likely arise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Such a defeatist attitude. Tampa Bay and Port Manatee among others have capacity so how dare the Gov promote that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    A positive attitude doesn't build billions of dollars worth of infrastructure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Without context, neither of these things are useful. But the first is at least a problem the government has the power to solve. The second is just empty words unless DeSantis has some plan to either create excess capacity or make it profitable for businesses when it otherwise wouldn't be.

You're going to need to elaborate. I'm not sure how you're getting from Point A to Point B here. Newsom banned people employed by the State of California from traveling to Florida for nonessential work-related purposes using state funds. It has no effect on private businesses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    No? I would expect leaders to be providing solutions to problems, not pandering to their base with empty gestures. I understand that's too often how politicians are, but I'm going to demand better from them. Would be nice if other Americans did the same. Only way things get better is if we fight for them to be better.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    It sounds to me like most of the more liberal posters seem to prefer that we sit around and do nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Is standing up and pretending to do something while accomplishing nothing preferable to you? I'm all for real solutions. But don't waste my time with empty words and pandering.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yep, you nailed it. Free community college is a great idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i dont care if they have 100 berths if the cargo sits offshore for a month

16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Well that sounds like typical liberal thinking to me. Let's see I worked out a budget and it is going to cost me $1000/week to live but I can only make $800/week so I think I will quit my job and do nothing. It isn't worth my time to try.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If just one or two, or hell even 20, ships get unloaded that is better than nothing. It is also providing work for workers in Florida. Isn't that what the governor is supposed to do?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Swing and a miss. It's more akin to Person A taking a nap at his desk, while Person B pretends to work but is actually reading Fox News articles. Neither are being productive. You're arguing that we should laud Person B for pretending to do something. I'm saying that neither are doing anything productive. So it's good you recognize common sense to be "typical liberal thinking."

• Like Like x 2
  19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Maybe the Governor of Nebraska can have a press conference next and invite the ships to his ports.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Come on man, we all know that Nebraska dock workers are on steroids, we don't want them unloading those ships. That's cheating.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1