Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis says bring on the cargo ships to florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Oct 21, 2021.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I put that in because of what city had posted. He implied that I was lying because “everyone knows” or “everyone else” does something different.

I do not make any decisions based on what “everyone” else does. That is rather juvenile, and overall leads to bad decisions.

For instance: I consider social media to be one of the most destructive wastes of time ever invented. I do not say that because Zuckerberg and Dorsey are corrupt. I say that because I have always felt that way going all the way back to MySpace. Why in the world would I listen to an influencer? They are nothing more than hi-tech used car salesman.

2. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Atlantic and Gulf seafood are still great here. Scallops are still quite pricey but available.

If seafood does become only for the rich I will have to definitely make the necessary sacrifices in other things to open up budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    I always wanted to catch the Crystal River scallop season. Scallop used to be the cheap seafood. I also remember a bushel of oysters costing $25. Gone are the days :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    S. Cal is getting hit today. But just the tail of the low pressure ridge, whereas N. Cal got the full brunt. Slow moving storm, and San Francisco is significantly farther west than L.A. as the California coast is diagonal. And yes, anything moving East by SE from L.A. will likely use I-10, as it's shorter with less mountains than I-40. Anything headed East by NE out of L.A. usually takes I-15 towards Las Vegas.

It's difficult to compare the size of the ports in L.A. and Long Beach with that of others. San Diego is right down the shore, and is helping out with the issue. Logistically, things heading E from SD can take I-8 to Casa Grande, and hook up with I-10 E in about 5 hours, whereas the trip from L.A. directly on I-10 takes closer to 7 hours. But San Diego is a much smaller port, and only expected to take a 2-4 ships a month, which while helpful, is still a bandaid on an open wound.

Florida isn't much of an option. By the time the ships got through the Canal, assuming it would fit, would take more than a week. And it's not like these ports could handle multiple ships at a time, meaning instead of waiting in the Pacific, these ships would be waiting in the Gulf or in the Atlantic instead. Meanwhile, we would have to pay for the increase costs it takes to move these ships from California to Florida.

DeSantis is pandering to his base, nothing more. The chances of Florida actually being able to help in this situation is zero. DeSantis likely knows this, but still says things that makes it looks like he is trying. What good comes of this? If it was logically feasible to actually use East Coast and Gulf Ports to ease the issues off the coast of S. California, shipping companies would already be doing this.

By the way, and purely anecdotally, I was in San Diego over Labor Day weekend getting away from the Arizona heat, having dinner on the water at Sea Port Village, when we saw one of the huge cargo ships leaving port. Everyone stopped and stared, as ships this size are not regular occurrences. Hard to judge the size of the ship, because it made everything else on the water look like a kid's canoe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    Thanks AzCatFan. Today we have blue skies and sun, but yesterday was crazy. I think another storm may be heading in this week. It is actually good that the lakes and rivers are still in drought conditions. Tons of capacity to store and move the runoff. Some sump pumps failed south of us and led to about 2-feet of standing water in our neighborhood. Luckily most of the older houses are 5 feet or more above the surface streets. As an aside, the huge cranes at the Port of Oakland were what gave Lucas his idea for "walkers". At least that is the urban legend around here.

6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    My family is in Sacramento. Rain is much needed, but there is too much of a good thing. Especially all the rain in burn scar areas. Causes massive run-offs and mudslides. Happened in Arizona a few months ago in places like Gila Bend, Flagstaff, and Globe that had large fires, followed by monsoon storms that dropped a few inches of rain in a few hours. Streets turned into rivers, and rivers that are often dry, were raging.

Clear here in Arizona today, and likely stay that way, as the storm will likely just skim the northern part of the state. Phoenix usually gets San Diego's weather in the winter, just a few hours later. And the storm tail looks like the Irvine area is the bottom, and San Diego has remained dry today too.

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Are vaccines dangerous because the person previously had COVID?

8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Don't know that that question has been studied.
    There are some scientists/Doctors who have hypothesized that if you have been infected remnants of the spike protein can be found in many different tissues ie: brain, blood vessels, kidney, liver. When vaccinated it re actives the immune system which then attacks that remnant and causes an immune mediated inflammatory response and can cause heart attacks and stroke. I actually read a recent study where they isolated covid in tonsil tissue months after covid infection.

It would be interesting to see if people with higher rates of side effects had prior infection, but since the push has been to get everyone vaccinated regardless I doubt they really want to look at that.

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    JaxPort could handle 50% increase in volume if ships off California coast decide to head east, official says

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...09ZwyNcfdkpi3Wm2JN95ywJigsmSLNDjAdQ-2Bs5yA-ho

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Start harvesting yourself if your near the coast.
    Decades ago I did a lot of commercial spearfishing(hobby I made money at). Prices really have gone through the roof, may need to get back into it.

11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I have a better setup. A son in law that loves to fish the gulf and a daughter that likes to go with him. He keeps the freezer well stocked for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    There ya go and you don't even need to get your feet wet...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. surfin_bird

surfin_bird GC Legend

Jan 24, 2017
    Concerning the Port of Jacksonville. It could help in distribution, but the idea of moving to the east coast ports from SoCal is a pipe dream IMHO. As noted previously the quick check I did on the Port of Oakland, the loss in profit margin by moving to Oakland is unacceptable to the shipping companies. I believe the reloading of boxes on ships returning to the orient are part of the issue as well.