Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis Not a good Employer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, May 10, 2021.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seems like he went to same school as Trump. Trust nobody, discharge anybody that disagrees with you. Has a generally toxic work environment. Not good.

Former staffers of Florida Gov. DeSantis formed a 'support group' to trade horror stories (cltampa.com)

Turns out you don't need a sex trafficking scandal to shed staffers. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis lost plenty of employees during his time in Congress by just being generally terrible to work under. According to a new report from Politico, former staff of DeSantis' congressional office have formed a support group in the years since where they gather to trade "war stories."

The staffers told Politico that DeSantis was difficult to pin down, saying they had to lure the current governor into important meetings with promises of cupcakes or a birthday celebration. The picture staff painted elsewhere made it unlikely that any given employee would see a second office birthday party.“Loyalty and trust, that is not a currency he deals in,” an anonymous former employee said.

“It’s him and [his wife] Casey [DeSantis]. But everyone else is like a disposable piece of garbage.”

The data supports the idea that DeSantis created a volatile workplace. In three of his five years in Congress, DeSantis was in the 70th percentile for staff turnover. A mass exodus of staff during his first year as Florida governor left DeSantis defending his workplace to reporters.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    POLITICO Playbook: Scarred DeSantis staffers form a support group - POLITICO

— Within six months of taking office as governor in 2019, DeSantis fired five staffers. One was a 23-year-old scheduler who’d been with him since the beginning of his gubernatorial race. Shortly after she was sent packing, an unnamed member of DeSantis’ administration was quoted in a Florida blog trashing her performance. A month later, his deputy chief of staff left, prompting Florida reporters to press him about the rapid churn in his operation.

— Another story relayed to us by five former staffers: At the beginning of his administration, DeSantis directed the Florida Republican Party leader to fire a party official who had cancer — on that person’s first week back from surgery.

— DeSantis often blames his staff for his own blunders, we’re told. After DeSantis went on Fox News in 2018 and implored Florida voters not to “monkey this up” by supporting his African American Democratic opponent for governor, he and his wife chewed out his campaign staff for not cleaning up the mess, according to three former staffers. Shortly after, DeSantis brought in a whole new group of advisers.

— Aides would lure DeSantis to staff meetings with cupcakes, saying that it was a colleague’s birthday to get him to attend. In the gubernatorial primary, DeSantis visited his campaign headquarters just a couple of times. On election night, he entered the war room after his win and remarked, “Wow, I didn’t know this many people worked for me,” according to four former staffers.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Sounds like his wife is in lockstep with her mate. He is a little too Trumpy for my taste.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This isn't remotely surprising if you watch how he treats people in a general sense. He's rude with the media. He responded in a petty and cruel manner when people called out him putting vaccines in places favorable to his donors/voters. He had zero issue while campaigning against Gillum dog whistling (and even bullhorning) to the worst people. He's a turd of a person. But it seems that a lot of Republicans like that. Look at Trump.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I also find the luring him with cupcakes quite believable.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    We spent 30 minutes ~2 months ago discussing a somewhat relevant topic.

Still can’t go into details, but there is one thing everyone in Tally and (probably DC care about).

It is not the environment… Doesn’t surprise me he doesn’t care about his staff either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    He sure seems to have a richardly quality about him. Unfortunately there a lot of folks that love richardness. See one DJT for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That would work on me too, honestly. :emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009
    Being a douche of a manager is apparently a bipartisan skill set. Recall a lot of flack that came out about Amy Klobashar and her employees. Cuomo is also obviously a piece of work.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    For Gaetz they had to use Little Debbie

• Funny x 6
    • Creative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe All American

Mar 7, 2009
    Funny, he is bad governor as well. Crazy how that works like that.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Not hard to believe. Not a partisan trait.

Ironically I am friends with a woman who worked for the Trump Organization for about a decade back in the late 1980's/early 1990's, mostly when he was married to Ivana.

Said both Trumps could not have been nicer to her in the office environment, and that when her mother was sick and dying with cancer, the Trump's sent her mom food, visited her apartment, etc all the time to make things easier for her family. Probably an exception to how they treated most but it still happened.

If DeSantis (and I'm no great fan) was in the 70th percentile for turnover of 535 for 3 of 5 years, then there were still 160 worse than him each of those years who we don't hear about because they're not now the governor of the 4th largest state in the country. Doubtful if his former staffers form a support group if he wasn't.

So on SOME of this workplace stuff (not the more toxic hostility part, like Cuomo) I think we generally see what our partisan eyes want us to see.

Not likely the post you'd expect to see from me, but there it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Good post, North. Obviously someone is concerned with Desantis as between 60 minutes and this piece the knives are being sharpened.

cant wait for the “he made out with me at a party in high school but never called me again” stories to come. Oh, and remember, anything said that appears innocuous is really a “dog whistle” that all his supporters understand.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    TRUMP CLONE or "Being an As*Hole for Dummies" - GOP playbook under Trump and being "polished" by DeSantis.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I don't doubt it at all. Regrettably that family doesn't give two sh*ts for people OUTSIDE their little circle.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I grant you the Cuomo situation "currently" sucks and if guilty the man should go............

But I watched his daily briefings, something (holding daily briefings) few if any Pub Gov's did. They were busy saying it was a non issue and not to wear masks.

I also noted Cuomo did not recommend "bleach" or Haitian "voodoo" ladies casting spells for cures...........

You keep Trump, I'll take Cuomo.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    but Gaetz only took a 'small bite'...

18. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    and he didn't inhale......

19. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

looks like the numbers are adding up for "Playboy Gaetz". Real Ho-dog apparently. Fed's are after him, deservedly so.

20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Pretty much every high profile person has rumors swirling about that they are a jerk/nightmare to work for. Celebrities, politicians, etc.

I'm sure a lot of it is true, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if DeSantis was an a-hole boss. But anonymous anecdotes aren't going to move any needles.

• Agree Agree x 1