Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis is trying to get people killed.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    God it sucks to have the country's worst governor. Its a low bar too.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  3. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    So what's wrong with DeSantis' vaccination plan? From what I've read, the holdup is not with the distribution of vaccinations but with the supply of vaccine from the Federal Government.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm not entirely sure I disagree with him with regards to having too many cooks in the kitchen. I guess it depends on how Florida is doing so far on vaccine roll out.

5. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Just curious, but do all of these governors going on TV and whining like DeSantis and Cuomo think that this vaccine is just growing on a tree somewhere and all that needs to be done is snap your fingers and you have 360+ Million (legal and illegals) magically covered?

As to the FEMA camp comment, I do not see why if the Federal government is going to maintain the flow of vaccine shipments to the states in parallel with setting up FEMA run locations, likely in the poorest and areas where people are the least able to drive to their local Publix and stand in line for 3 hours, how that hurts anything?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not the point. Referring to "FEMA camps" links it to a conspiracy theory the wackos subscribe to. Not about the logistics of vaccine distribution. About the attempt to suggest that the federal plan for vaccine distribution is in fact a secret attempt to establish martial law

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not faulting DeSantis plan. Faulting his dog whistle that the federal plan is in fact a totalitarian takeover

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For those that did not click on the Wiki link, this is what the extremists hear when they hear the term FEMA camp, which is what DeSantis used to describe the vaccine rollout

FEMA camps conspiracy theory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The FEMA camps conspiracy theory holds that the United States Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is planning to imprison US citizens in concentration camps.[1][2][3] This is typically described as following the imposition of martial law in the United States after a major disaster or crisis. In some versions of the theory, only suspected dissidents will be imprisoned. In more extreme versions, large numbers of US citizens will be imprisoned for the purposes of extermination as a New World Order is established.

The theory has existed since the late 1970s, but it has picked up greatly in popularity with the advent of the internet and social media platforms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    They also thought contact tracers were going to arrest and jail you and vaccines were implanting microchips. At some point we need to just live our lives and stop worrying about all the nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree to an extent, except that January 6 showed that it can result in real violence. Believe me I want to ignore them and believe them harmless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's kind of funny, because one of the big issues seems to be lack of coordination. Every county has it's own system, many (most?) of them crap. Is that not "too many cooks in the kitchen"? Some of these counties literally don't know what they are doing. One of our counties was so clueless they literally told people "ok come get it, first come first served". They have since corrected that with an ad-hoc appointment system, but still tons of people that were not able to get in and still waiting to even get in the system (let alone get an actual vaccination date).

That being said, the Governor is correct on one thing: the overriding issue above all else is the lack of supply to meet demand. THAT is the bottleneck presently. It seems to me that doing some "FEMA site" is not currently an option. That being said, maybe once we get some big batches from J&J and AZN and the volume ramps up overall, i'm not sure why we would turn down federal assistance. That's just playing politics.

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That is true. But, Biden wants to invoke the defense production act and increase supply as well as expand distribution by increasing available injection sites. If DeSantis has a good plan when there is supply that we don’t need the vaccine, fine. Our current Oman is to vaccinate over 65. But, the plan is contrary to CDC guidelines which allow for vaccination of front line and essential workers and vulnerable under 65. If you go to many websites, you can’t book a vaccine if you are under 65. These comments are also political, as you can see in the Florida thread, where the fringe right wing posters tout the numbers vaccinated over 65 compared to other states, but ignore the other 2 categories. For example, immune compromised people under 65. But, it would be nice to see the plans before we pass judgment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Traditionally final distribution has been at the state level. West Virginia has been doing a great job. And the real problem is certainly a lack of supply. There is certainly an argument to leave it at the state level, and I am not suggesting there are any obvious deficiencies in the State of Florida plan, though I have not studied it. I am agnostic on the issue.

But calling the federal plan a "FEMA Camp" just triggers the conspiracies among the crazies that they are in reality a secret attempt to impose martial law. That's absurd and dangerous.

If the Governor wants to object to the federal plan, fine. But that's not what he's doing. He is trying to whip up the same types that stormed the Capitol. And he knows what he is doing

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So the thought here is that the governor by using the term fema camps is purposely dog whistling and trying to get people killed?
    Yeah... the right has plenty of whacko conspiracy theorist... but apparently the left does too!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    It seems like it is a distribution issue. My parents live in Bay County up in the panhandle and they got an appointment to get their shots up near Wewahitchka in Gulf County. Next closest place that had it was Over in Ft. Walton.

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    FEMA Camps are a right wing thing, remember Jade Helm at the end of the Obama admin? Bunch of crazies thought Obama was going to take their guns and lock them up in a bunch of Walmart’s disbursed around the country lol.

It’s a strange dog whistle, but I can think of no other reason for a right wing governor to refer to hypothetical vaccination sites as “FEMA camps”.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    We live in Michigan or California or New York?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s worse than Trump. He just didn’t have NBC propping him up for years as a pretend billionaire celebrity business success.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Glad to see both Republicans and Democrats are afraid of the dark.

• Winner Winner x 4
  20. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orange County sure seems to know they’re doing. Maybe all other counties should take a look. But they aren’t doing any first shot appointments. Supply is a big issue. Maybe FEMA could help with that.