Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis doesn't want the FBI looking into threats aimed at Florida educators

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 6, 2021.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I believe DeSantis's tweet was in response to this comment:

I have little doubt, though, that both sides are playing interpretation games to score points. There likely have been threats of violence, but I haven't seen those specifically in FL. Harassment is almost certainly evident.

• Like Like x 1
  2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Tell that to single parents and those without the economic where with all to home school.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep and freedom of speech and parents standing up to the government and having a say in what their children are taught in schools really triggers the government loving lefties who are happy to be told how to raise their children. You know the parents who elect the school board officials and pay for everything. How dare they demand to have some say in how things are run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Perhaps true, but they don't necessarily have a right to elicit the results they demand.
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay. Single parents and those without the economic wherewithal to homeschool, you have no right to decide what schools teach. If you don't like it, homeschool your kid or send him/her to a private school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wouldn't it be nice if the parents making demands were well-informed?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I love the idea that parents are legally required to either pay for their children’s education or send their children to a government run school. If it is the latter, parents should just hand their child over to the institution and have no say what happens while their children are there.

The tying education dollars to a child and allowing their parents to decided how to spend it are only going to get more popular the more often parents are told they have no say when it comes to the public option for education.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Of course they have the right to do exactly that otherwise it's a breach of contract in the goal of making their children productive members of society.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Again you have those with economic means to pay for private schools and single parents that cannot afford to homeschool. Try again.

10. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Look, everyone knows that liberals recording members of Congress in the bathroom is just part of the process while conservatives shouting at a school board meeting is literally terrorism.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    They absolutely do have a say. They get to vote for the school boards, vote for state governor, vote for federal elected officials.

Showing up and yelling the loudest at school board meetings is not representative democracy. Though protest happens on both sides, on the mask issue it was shown to not really be the majority position (not even close in a lot of these places that actually had mandates) so they are pissing into the wind in a lot of these district's. CRT seems to mostly be a faux issue as well, but perhaps not for those who must promote a false nationalism rather than a more accurate telling of history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I think this is a fair question, and I’m not sure I would suggest that this needs to be, literally, a federal case.

That said, the job of determining what should be a federal case belongs to people like attorney general, not the governor of Florida, so I still don’t think that DeSantis should be trying to dictate how the FBI uses it’s resources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Indeed, the fact that each parent can’t dictate what their student learns is more of a constraint on group-level democracy. I think we can always do a better job of figuring out the optimal curriculum, but in the end it will still be a single curriculum.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I'll pass. I stand by exactly what I said. McAuliffe is right, and you are wrong.

It really isn't hard to engage with a thread on an intellectually honest level. Shouting at a school board meeting isn't "terrorism." Nobody said it was. Threatening the lives of school board members is obviously a major problem. I'm glad the FBI is willing to step up and help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    I'll accept your disagreement with a firm belief that it is you who are wrong. Virginia voters will decide in November concerning Mr McAuliffe as parents will decide who gets elected to school boards and who has the ultimate oversight of their children's education.

17. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't think that issue is going to be anywhere near the top of the list for most voters in that election.

• Like Like x 1
  18. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I find it novel that it was the liberals, that literally wrote the book on a small minority group harassing public officials, are now complaining to the DOJ because it has now been turned on them. One poster on here mentioned that these weren't really parents, but an organized righty group just trying to disrupt a school board meeting because of a trumped up CRT concern that really wasn't happening. If so, I wonder where they learned that? I would be willing to lay money that 90%+ of all civil unrest in the country in recent years were caused by some liberal group protesting something they were trying to change, legit or not didn't matter.

While it is true we all have the right of protest, I would prefer going back to just vigorous debate on everything rather than trying to out shout the opposition to make your point. I also theorize that every one of those out of control school board meetings was caused by the board itself trying to shut off those in opposition to their policies. Most people get really pissed off when that happens, don't you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Even though that is a blue state, what he said speaks to his character and what he believes in, which will often sway elections, so don't bet on it.

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Whether the issue is legit or not is paramount to these public stunts having the desired effect.

At least the mask thing is something that seems to make some viscerally angry. 2 problems, public health officials have been almost 100% on this issue, and for most of the pandemic the public seems to range from around 50-50 to overwhelmingly in favor depending on the location and situation on the ground at the time. In the midst of serious outbreaks, it takes a real nutjob to protest the most minimal thing they could start with at the advice of doctors and experts before having to do other things (like temporarily closing schools). While the outrage might be legit, there is very little on their side. Obviously nobody WANTS to wear masks.

Unlike masks, most of the people showing up at CRT outage meetings can’t even articulate what is is that are outraged about, they just want everyone to know they’re not a racist. Either it’s totally fake and these are all activists, or these are all sheep being herded to these meetings by social media. To make it a legitimate discussion or debate, they need to be more specific about the areas that are problematic to them…their outrage is too broad.

• Like Like x 1