Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis Appoints Surgeon General that believes vaccines are not necessary

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Sep 22, 2021.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Most people who call people who call libertarians idiots authoritative idiots are idiots.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The problem with the externality analysis regarding COVID, as well as most comparisons people make regarding COVID, like wearing a seat belt, driving under the influence, and waiving your arms around... is that the COVID vaccine basically dramatically reduces the risk of contracting COVID, being hospitalized from COVID, and dying from COVID for the vaccinated.

So the only people under serious risk here, are other unvaccinated people... almost all of which made the same choice not to take the vaccine.

"But 715, there are people who medically cannot take the vaccine."

Okay, we'll craft exceptions for them.

"But 715, if COVID mutates, the vaccine may no longer be effective. And the longer COVID is around spreading through the ranks of the unvaccinated, it preserves the possibility of such a mutation."

First of all, that's a lot of hypotheticals, there, that may or may not happen. Second of all, last I checked we had a border crisis. the US is not the center of the universe. COVID is here to stay, especially because we have a border crisis, even if we had 100% vaccination in the US. So, trying to mandate vaccines on US citizens to mitigate the possibility of mutation, that's a bandaid on a gaping wound. It's not going to do much.

The best externality argument regarding any mandates for COVID is the scenario in which a vaccine is not available, which is not the current scenario, and the lack of availability of hospital beds... which seems to be a regional and situational problem. The more that hospitals are overwhelmed causing rationing of care, the more the decision to mask, socially distance, and vaccinate becomes an externality.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Most people who call most people who call people who call libertarians idiots, authoritative idiots, idiots, are idiots.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Accidentally funny post of the day. I pronounce this statement half true however. Some of the people who call libertarians idiots are merely authoritative, like moi.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    New UF professor picked for surgeon general by DeSantis

As an aside from the mask/vaccine mandate of all of this, I don't buy the story that UF is trying put out re: this hire. I also don't believe in most coincidences. Here is how I think this hire went down:
    1. Desantis and team identify the man they want as surgeon general. He tows the anti-mandate line, he's got good credentials, and being non-white doesn't hurt either.
    2. Desantis and team ask UF to hire him and they do so with immediate tenure I might add.
    3. And "surprise" to UF, Desantis appoints him as surgeon general 2 days later.
    Now, I don't believe UF when it acts surprised and when anyone protests from UF faculty, students, etc then UF can throw up their arms claiming they can't do anything re: his employment with UF. For UF this comes down to funding and always has. They don't want to upset the Board of Governors nor Desantis and it doesn't hurt that he brings his own NIH money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    By back then, are we taking polio times? I wasn’t born then, but yes I would have called the very few Americans that were anti-polio vaccine to be a sheep and foolish.

Lol... The stupidity of this statement burns my brain. History has shown vaccines work. You should learn this thing called history instead of spending all your time watching Fox News and regurgitating what your masters tell you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Not sure what your point is.

You suggest DeSantis is wishing death and then you bring up cost. Obviously the MAB from Regeneron is cheaper than vaccines.

DeSantis led the way in getting vaccines into the arms of the highest risk citizens quickly, he also helped get widespread dosing to many pharmacies. He had told people to get the vaccine.

He is going right to the manufacturer to get more doses of the MAB since the Feds want to cut back the amount available to Florida.

It's not an either or solution man.

8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

I suggest you do some research then there were issues with the polio vaccines in fact there were man people who got polio from the vaccine due to issues with production, probably not the best choice as an example.
    Furthermore tens of thousands of children were essentially used as clinical trial participants, it would never happen than way now for good reason.

Mortality for Polio in kids is far worse than COVID by many factors man.

BTW haven't watched FOX news in 12 years, I'm a CNBC/ESPN guy. Stop with the stupid stereotypes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Seems to me that they are examples of the continued untethering of republicans from reason.

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That's quite a conspiracy you got there, any facts to support DeSantis got UF to hire him?
    Did DeSantis also get Harvard and UCLA train him and let him practice?

11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    More Trumpistas I guess.....

BLM Leaders Condemn NYC Vaccine Passport As Racist (msn.com)

"Restaurants are using vaccine mandates to enforce their racist beliefs and excluding black patrons,” said Hawk Newsome, the co-founder and chairman of Black Lives Matter Greater New York, according to The New York Times.

President Joe Biden’s approval rating among unvaccinated black voters has fallen 17 percentage points since his vaccine mandate announcement Sept. 9
    We are serving notice on the mayor, on the governor, on the restaurant industry that we will not allow for you to use this pandemic, vaccination cards, and masks as another reason to be racist, to put us in prison,” Kimberly Bernard, co-founder of the Black Women’s March, stated, according to National Review. “Because there’s enough of us in there.”

New York City requires proof of vaccination in order to enter indoor restaurants and various other venues. About 38 percent of black New Yorkers are not fully vaccinated, according to the New York City Department of Health. )

“What is going to stop the Gestapo, I mean the NYPD, from rounding up black people, from snatching them off the train, off the bus?” asked Chivona Newsome, another BLM leader, at a protest following the restaurant incident, National Review reported"

Strange I thought it was only whacky Trump Pubs that weren't onboard with vaccine passports.

Why isn't the left calling out BLM to help get their people vaccinated?

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. goodlife

goodlife Freshman

Sep 28, 2020
    I have an unvaccinated coworker, the same age as me, that had to be hospitalized with covid, his hospital bill was $157,000. He missed more than two weeks of work while occupying healhcare resources.

Should I stop working out and making healthy lifestyle choices and just medicate myself on the back end on everyone else's dime?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. goodlife

goodlife Freshman

Sep 28, 2020
    I think you might be getting officelife and goodlife confused...but how is MAB cheaper than a vaccine dose?

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, I should always bet on stupider

Manny Diaz wants to ‘review’ existing non-COVID-19 vaccine mandates

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    People who call libertarian Randy Paul an idiot, aren’t

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I did not call libertarians idiots. I called "libertarians" idiots. I used the ""s for a reason.

at UF, for Modern Criticism (english), my final 8 page paper could be on either
    1. there is a text in this class
    2. "there is a text in this class"
    3. construct a calculus where there is a text in this class is both the function and the variable.

I chose 1

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No. You should keep working out and stop complaining about the decisions another person makes when it comes to their health. I wish everyone would take care of themselves. I don't like paying higher health insurance premiums for our family and our employees because people do not take care of themselves (which is the best way to fight covid by the way/being healthy). We are an obese and unhealthy nation as a whole. I can give you the anecdotal of the vaccinated/unvaccinated who have had no issues or who have died. Those stories are all out there. The data shows this virus is not that dangerous to the young and healthy when you look at it.

Monoclonal antibodies are meant to keep you out of the hospital. If your coworker sought the treatment and it did not work. It is unfortunate and certainly possible as none of these drugs are the silver bullet. It is also unfortunate if they did not seek the treatment in time.

Funny how you do not want to address the reality that over 50% of those using these treatments in South Florida were vaccinated.

"There are three state-run sites in South Florida, and together they have treated thousands of patients, DeSantis said. The one in C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines, which opened Aug. 18, and the one at Tropical Park in Miami-Dade have provided about 6,000 treatments each. The West Palm Beach site has provided close to 5,000 treatments, he said.

Many of the people who have received monoclonal antibody treatments at one of the state-run sites were fully vaccinated, DeSantis added, including 52% of all patients at the Pembroke Pines site and almost 60% of all patients at the Tropical Park location."

DeSantis touts monoclonal antibodies for COVID-19 | Miami Herald

Should your vaccine and treatment if needed one day be paid for by the unvaccinated and their dime? Or can we just understand that medicine is not that simple?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    HEY BLM!! CUT THAT SHIT OUT. RIGHT NOW.!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't be intentionally obtuse, of course not, but it doesn't take Columbo to put 2 & 2 together. In order to get this guy to come from a spot at UCLA to Florida for a temp position means I'm sure he wanted a similar permanent position guaranteed and with immediate tenure as well. What's to guarantee that the UF position doesn't disappear when the governor changes?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yeah, this isn't an answer. You don't want me answering the question for you. I am asking for your perspective why this is different.