Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Derek Hunter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, Mar 11, 2018.

1. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely

2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    He never looked like a Gator.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    So I’ve been told that UF’s DLine board looks like Fuller, Fann, Hunter, and Summerall. Is that accurate?

4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's bigger than that, but those are certainly some names in the mix. I'm a Summerall fan personally, but he doesn't seem to get quite the notice.
    The one that absolutely baffles me is that neither UF or FSU seems to be hard after Tyler Davis from Wekiva. Kid as a total beast and neither school seems to be after him. Can't figure it out. Heck, you could fill half your defensive class at Wekiva this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    FSU is after Tyler Davis pretty hard. He was at FSU's camp last week and was Odell was coaching him hard, which typically mean Odell really likes him. The word is that it is a Clemson vs OSU battle, but FSU is trying to make a push.

I agree that Summerall is probably one of the best weak-side DE in the state this year. I don't think FSU has been able to get much traction with him this spring and summer. I think they are going all in on K. Thibodeaux at this point and will continue to do so until they think they are out of it.

What is you opinion on Renardo Green?

6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Renardo is a good player, just a little bit of a tweener imo. Not sure if fsu seems him as a S or CB. Wekiva defense was totally shut down on the front 7 last year and I didnt see him challenged a ton in the passing game. Sounds like he has done well in 7 v 7.
    Rian Davis is a stud, their other big body Pollard just committed to Va Tech

7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    APK,

Agree with you 100% on Davis. Kid is all beast. Without saying too much, of the other 4 mentioned not one is a slam dunk to commit to us.

Davis will be a very good one.
    Could it be he is all Buckeye??

8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Davis is the head scratcher for me. Apparently FSU got in on him too late and he showed up to FSU's camp in a UGA shirt and did not work out. I don't think UF has offered him. Not sure what is going on there but apparently he is all UGA.

9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Summerall with weight will be another really good one.

Really concerned about not grabbing 1-2 from Wekiva and Fuller and Hunter from SW Florida.

SW. Florida a better area than people think.

Naples RB to Harbaugh and Soph TE to Miami.

10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not much feel on R Davis....he was at wekiva, transferred to Texas, and is now back. Doesnt seem to have any natural affiliations. O think uf could have been a player for the whole crew but just never seemed to really engage

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Do you feel like T. Davis is Buckeye bound? Just cannot understand how we are missing on so many out of state kids year after year. Seems like they go to Clemson, OSU, Bama and become big timers. Guess that's coaching but almost seems like we are only giving half attention to our own state.

12. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately I believe Tyler is all about OSU. He loves meyer and especially his position coach Larry Johnson.

"I am enjoying it, I am very grateful," Davis said. "I am loving it, taking my time and going with the flow."

Davis had the chance to check out an Ohio State practice over the spring and came away with a strong impression of the Buckeyes and his potential position coach, Larry Johnson.

"They treat me like family, I really love that," Davis said. "They are just very good people."

No visit to Ohio State is complete without a talk with Urban Meyer and that was a highlight for Davis.

"He is great, very down to earth and is a great person," Davis added.

Notorious Notes: He doesn't even mention UF in the article. Davis visited OSU recently and he'll be back for a game this fall. If there's a challenger to OSU I believe it's Clemson.

BuckeyeGrove.com - Tyler Davis has strong feelings about Ohio State

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great info. Thank you sir. Well, I wish it was slanted our way haha. For the umpteenth time I'm amazed how we have lost our state. I know I know someone will talk about relationships and I will come back for the fourth or fifth time and talk about how Kirby, Meyer, And plenty of others did it quick. When you talk to those in the profession, they say it's a mentality. Are you gonna own it quick or are you going to allow people to say "it takes time to build relationships". They also say have to commit to Florida and Georgia. Cali and Texas not gonna happen until your a national contender.
    For those that say it takes time how is
    CWT doing so well at FSU so quick? Can't say ties to Florida because at USF. USF is not in contention with UF and FSU for recruits. ya can't say he was at Oregon. At Oregon his recruiting time could only be minimal in Florida. Coach Woodie just a few years ago was a head coach at Bayshore and Palmetto I think. I think in 9 seasons at Bayshore he was probably at best a 500 coach. At Palmetto the next three seasons he won one district title. After he left Coach Dave Marino took the program to a different level.
    Woodie's getting credit for helping to land some big names. He's obviously a great recruiter but resume wise....before he was let go when strong took over at South Florida his defense was 120th out of 128.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm glad you appreciate the info Shane. I too, wish it were slanted toward UF.

I have extreme faith in mullen and I believe he'll turn it around. Imo, were not doing that poorly in recruiting when all is said and done will be a top-10 class. Along with Coach Mullen and a couple top 10 Klass and a lot of talent in the State of Florida next year I'm not overly worried.

It is a bit bizarre to me how Kirby Smart slick Willy mark richt and whoever else I'm forgetting to add to that list can come in and immediately start pulling in studs and we happen to be a bit behind all those guys.

15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    It's not bizarre, it's concerning no matter how you (not you in particular) spin it. I understand recruiting isn't finalized until the ink hits the paper, but my gosh a little momentum going into the fall would be nice

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    To me it's bizarre. Where's slick willies momentum? Where was Kirbys?

Yeah, we need to see it on the field to help our class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think the fact the Taggart, Woodie, and Pimpleton were at USF for four years and recruiting the same high schools they are now means that they know the high school staffs and recruits during that time. They may not have been a final option but were often the first school to offer, even if it was USF. During Taggart’s one year at Oregon, his staff was still recruiting Florida hard to leverage their relationships for the ‘17 and ‘18 recruiting classes. A lot of recruits in Florida have know Taggart and Woodie for years but felt USF was not an option or Oregon was too far away. Now those recruits are willing to be recruited and commit to them once they ended at FSU.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    very good points

19. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  20. severnt

severnt All American

Feb 2, 2012
    Well, everyone knows you have to be 110% committed to actually have a leader.

• Funny Funny x 2