Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Delicia transferring...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Mar 11, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I agree about Manu. A full off season, she might blossom nicely.

Rainey started really contributing in the later half of the season. Has a lot of potential. But may have prospered since defenses were geared to thwart Funda.

2. all_gatorsports

all_gatorsports Freshman

Mar 19, 2016
    I been saying this about the transfers, of course it's normal for a program but we have had more than we should. When Amanda was here in terms of recruiting we would rather have a decent class or a very solid class and would often bring in high quality transfers in the past (Antoneitte Bannister, Cassie Peoples, Simone Westbrook, Eleanna Christinaki etc.) who would sometimes stick or would transfer again due to self-damage or other reasons such as playing time, team violations, issue with style of play etc. We had a small amount of post players who were solid who came into the program but for whatever reason didn't work out (transfer, injury etc.) like Tyshria Fleming, Vicky McIntrye. Looking back the 2013-2014 roster unbelivable potential but just couldn't live up to it (roster can be seen at 2013-14 Women's Basketball Roster - Florida Gators).

3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Rainey has a wealth of talent and a good (and improving) court sense, she learned a lot and improved once she was able to get on the court for live fire games rather than practice somewhere in mid December

4. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    It's not really a question of if we have talent or not. We're a Power 5 school, of course we have talent. The real question is can the coach get the most out of that talent enough to win games - particularly in this conference. The obvious answer right now (and likely next year) is "no." A big part of that is due to the lack of post play. Another is the other SEC teams are (and will continue to be) ahead of our curve. And yes, at some point you have to question the ability of the coach. I personally don't think it's too soon to do that, especially with his rate of transfer and now with him losing his arguably best player in her senior year. And that's not common by any stretch.

I'm a stats guy. If you don't think it can possibly be the coach, consider this: not only was this season the worst record ever, but it's also the worst 2 year stretch of any women's hoops coach we've had (I looked it up. Cam is 19-42. The next closest is 21-36 in the early days of the program).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I have endeavored to communicate this to you numerous times ( but have failed to make it land): I believe Cam convinced to AD to raze the program as is, and start anew. It’s evident by how he has managed the roster theses first two years to clear space for “his” recruits (really starting next season).

Quite transformative, to say the least. To me, he, or any coach, would never do what he did, twice, unless he had the blessing of the AD....and they knew, going in, they’d take quite a hit in the W/L columns.

So, IMO, throw out these first two years. Let’s talk, (start evaluating), end of next season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    That's not lost on me. I have to say I find it hard to believe he was greenlighted to demolish the foundation of a program that only needed to "get over the hump." Especially since he has no experience doing that (it's not at all what he did at Belmont). That being said, that only - potentially - explains the transfers. It doesn't explain the performance. I don't at all think we have an elite team but we are better then the record implies. And that's on the coach. Unless you also believe that he tanked these last 2 years.

I struggle for other reasons to buy into that as well. And I've said here I don't think he's the guy based on what I've seen him actually do, or rather not do, here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Premium Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I think Cam is doing things the way he needs to... I know some of us support him and some of us do not... but he will be the coach at least 2 more years. I think we will know how good he is after next season but he has 2 years at least to get it done. It is a nonrevenue sport, and you are not going to see a change until that contract is basically up. Most people don't seem to realize the mess we were in. We were 12th out of 14 SEC teams when Butler was fired and lost 7 players from that roster, including Ronni to graduation, injury, coaching change, etc. We also lost 2 recruits from her class coming in. You don't absorb losing 9 players off a team with a losing record and expect to win right away. It is not going to happen. We then lost 3 more players Butler recruited at the end of last season...one followed her (the only one I think that we would have liked to keep nonetheless). Cam has actually done an amazing job piecing together a roster for next season that is much more balanced and has the numbers we need. We haven't had that in quite a few years.... if he adds one more post (I think there is one at least) we are set with the numbers in terms of balancing the classes and positions and it is much easier to focus on recruiting replacements for graduating players instead of trying to fill a whole roster. Then we can really focus on upgrading the quality of talent at those positions as well. I was pleased with year 1. Love what I am seeing him develop in terms of an offensive system, though it is missing the post players we need for it to work. There have been a couple of questionable additions that I think he had to take simply because we had to have a body, and this years record was disappointing, particularly the number of close game losses. .. but again he has been trying to win with a team of someone else's players who had a much different style as well as a lot of his own players playing in their first seasons with him. Next season, for the first time, he returns a lot of players plus adds in a talented group that he recruited for his system. IMO, we should and will see a jump... if we don't then I think it is fair to put him on the hot seat for Year 4. I think it is unfair to judge at all on what he has had to do to this point just to field a team basically. Whichever side people fall on, I truly believe next season is his most crucial.... it won't be his last but it will determine if he is in trouble or not when it comes time for that contract to end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. hohogator

hohogator Freshman

Jan 12, 2019
    Will be interesting to see the performance at the end of the next year... if the intention and the agreement from the AD was what you said, they should have released Delicia last year which would have given her 2 years of playing time under a coach who can utilise her strenghts...
    And isn't it ironic to see the success of Amanda Butler's transformation at Clemson compared to this program ... Time will tell which approach is better for the program, coaches and the players...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Amanda started out with 19 wins at UF with a very nice turnaround... her problem was always maintaining success. She'd always go 2 steps forward then 3 steps back. I hope she wins at Clemson, always personally liked her, but I am very curious to see if she regresses or not in season 2 after graduations and also to see if she has any transfers out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017

I'm not yet calling for Cam's head on a platter, I'm just saying I don't think he's the guy. Easy example to explain: Rick Pitino. He seemed like he would be great in the NBA. He wasn't. But (absent scandals) he was a legend at the college level.
    He's safe for the coming season but I just can't see him not being on a very hot seat if we're anywhere close to finishing as we have the last 2 years. And that's more probability than possibility stacking up against the conference teams. And again, I only give a little leeway on the whole "not his team" thing. It's the coaches job to get the best out of his players, individually & as at team. Butler (as mentioned) did just that this year at Clemson - with a roster much less talented than Florida's and in a stronger conference, I would add - and is going to the show.

As far a "mess" before Cam got here. I don't agree at all. Yes, it's true that season ended up bitterly disappointing, but what impacted them would happen nearly the same everywhere. Losing your leading scorer who quit instead of take discipline and losing your sparkplug sub to injury was a huge toll. But 7 players? That's high - Ronni & Tyshara to graduation, Brooke quit and he didn't want Westbrook (and her baggage). Who am I missing? The recruits weren't in your 7. I'd bet my last dollar that if Butler had Cam's first season, her record would be much better (yes, much). She'd have kept all the recruits, which would've given us more depth & a shooter. Westbrook would've played and I think Mikayla starts & Paulina comes off the bench, if she was even here (Butler champions defense. Paulina was more than suspect on defense.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Speculation like this does harm to the program as it is now configured. If you are truly a fan, I’d suggest you desist and attempt to get on-board.

And participate in other gator basketball threads going on on this board....so far, nary a single comment about gator men’s hoops....why is that?! Just posts that to cast Cam in a negative light at every chance.

And: Where the hell were you when Butler needed support on this board? ( I suspect I know).

• Like Like x 2
  12. So many of us rooted for Butler for nine years....we desperately wanted her to win. Finally, a change had to happen. We are nowhere near seeing it it was the right one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Elif and the Sydneys are also no longer on the team. I didn't count Christinaki because she was already gone before Butler was gone.

12th place team in 16-17...
    Lost Ronni, Ty, Simone, Brooke, Sydney Morang, Sydney Searcy, Elif Portakal, Karissa Maclaughlin, Priscilla Smeenge, Tameria, Mikayla, and Jalaysha in about a year's time... No one was going to make this a great team this year with that amount of roster/recruit loss over that short a time frame. That doesn't even count the three seniors who graduated after year one... When we say Cam complety rebuilt the roster it is quite literal. Next year we will not have a single player recruited here by Amanda in Cam's third year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    Women's basketball is the sport I'm a fan of and why I don't comment elsewhere is my business. And I joined this board when I found out about this board. Whatever else you may "suspect" I'd suggest you not. Whatever CSI hunch you think you have going, you should really let it go.

That I am critical of Cam is nowhere near the same as disparaging him. I make the assessment as I see it and that won't change. I absolutely want the program to be successful. Should Cam enable that success, perfect. Right now he's not and I've said I don't think he's the right hire.

15. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    I know she didn't really play and was a walk on but technically another transfer. Glad to see Corey get a scholarship at FAMU. She should see actual playing time there, and we aren't relying on walk ons to have enough players. IMG_20190315_191117.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Very happy to see her get to a program where she can be a player and a potential starter, had a good eye from 3 needs some work on D but who doesn't

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    East and Bogey have hit the nails on the head. Cam did go in and talk to all in the know and say we needed a complete overhaul and after everyone involved really looked into the program they agreed. It was a shit show off the court more then on the court. Totally mishandled roster, players out of control, coaches not engaged..it was terrible. There was a 4 year plan put together and everyone around knew this year was going to be bad. I said many times earlier this year if we won 8 games it would be a win for us. They just wanted to see improvements during the year and we got a lot of improvements.

On to the team...We will be much deeper next year and are still looking for 1 more post from want I been told. And Briggs again is a top 20 girl, I dont care what someone else is saying on here, Jordan Brand really listens to the scouts in the know and she was one of the first girls they listed. I think we still might get a transfer and with Delicia and Corey leaving opening up spots I think that shows that we are actively looking.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. all_gatorsports

all_gatorsports Freshman

Mar 19, 2016
    Nothing new with these annual transfers, good thing is it opens up spots for more players to come in, hopefully quality ones. The openings we have need to be filled, each one, so there is a balanced roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes...it is why I love what Cam has been doing. Balancing the roster by class and position both to set us up for the future. We have been follwing some European players but I don't think any of them will be here next year seeing as we have 4 freshmen coming in already. I'd keep eyes on JUCOs.... Bethy Mununga (6' Forward) and Yemiyah Morris (6'6 C) are two I think are possibilities though I think Morris is MSU if they want her and have room. Haven't really read or seen anything on Jaiden McCoy (6'3 C) to indicate anywhere she may be heading but she seems like a good fit. Hopefully we land 1 of those, preferably 2 and could still have room for a grad transfer if one became availble.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    You are a wealth of Info! Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1