Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Delay on radio broadcast

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thenazz, Oct 7, 2019.

1. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I'd about had it with the CBS booth guys Saturday and went online for WRUF's feed. It was a good 30 seconds behind the CBS video (via DirecTV). Meaning the radio was calling the play that already happened. I tried accessing it various ways, but the delay persisted.

Anyone know how to get around this delay? Is it something CBS requires?

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Are you saying that the radio was sooner or later?

If the radio call was late, that's strange....usually it's the other way around.

Many times, DirecTV has a delay in their satellite feed.
    I watched on CBS via Spectrum, and the r1adio feed was almost on point.

There are ways to "fix" it... like setting you DVR up to 'delay" the TV feed to sync with the radio.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Since DirecTV was 30 seconds or so AHEAD of the radio broadcast, that wasn't the case. Thanks for your input, though.

4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I edited my post.... check that.

5. You could sync your TV instead of the radio. I don't think there's another option.

6. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    What WhattaGator said.

If your TV allows you to rewind what you are watching, then do that. I have Cox Contour DVR which allows me to pause live tv and rewind live TV if I missed something. I haven’t tried it, but I could pause the channel until the radio audio is in sync with the TV image, and just mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast in sync with the TV picture.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Yep - that's what I used to do with dtv. Now I do the same with Hulu. If radio is ahead you can use the TuneIn radio app playing gator radio network and pause that to sync up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The UAA used to delay the radio broadcast, to force fans in the Swamp to subscribe to (and therefore pay to listen to) the radio broadcast in real time. Don’t know if that is still the case, or if this current 30 second delay is related to that policy. Either way, I feel it is an unconscionable gouging Gator fans. We should be able to listen to Mick in real time.

Things seems to have gotten slightly better for fans in the stands. I thought Foley did some good things as AD (and some not-so-good things). But towards the end of his tenure, it seemed like the UAA would have charged us for the air we breathed at the Swamp if they could have figured out a way to get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Not to go all geeky-nerd, but the signals are taking different paths that may include signal processing that delays reception. I think there is also some sort of delay on broadcast tv (eg CBS, but not ESPN) to guard against bad words being picked up from sideline mics

10. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    That makes sense, unfortunately. We used to enjoy listening to the radio in the stands in the olden days. Sad that you'd have to do the DVR-lag bit to get "real time" Mick.

11. jpullen

jpullen Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    I have Dish and I kept going back to WRUF to see if the delay was any better. It was 3-4 plays behind the TV. That is uncalled for and UF needs to do something about it.

12. I hate the CBS crew so much that I just live with the 30-second delay. Back when I was more patient, I would DVR the show and delay it to match TuneIn. Now I just live with the delay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Yes, pause DVR and press play when Mick catches up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. wiskgator71

wiskgator71 VIP Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I have dish and listen over internet (via TuneIn Florida Football on echo show). Most games I pause dish 1min 8secs and it's almost spot on. Auburn game was a little difficult b/c I think either TuneIn or IMG was having issues.

I read on another thread that someone was able to either speed up or slow down the radio broadcast on their phone using the TuneIn app.

You can also use AudioNow

15. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Radio broadcast here in Destin is 5-10 secs ahead of play on tv. I love it that way

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Was it true radio or radio streamed over the Internet? I've always found that terrestrial radio is 5-7 seconds before the TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I do prefer Mick to be a few seconds ahead. Hearing what's coming is weirdly enjoyable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    This is the way I watch & listen, I love it because I know just where to focus when the video catches up to the audio... but not everyone can get the live radio feed, works for all the sports as well

19. merinker

merinker Junior

May 28, 2019
    It has nothing to do with any of that. He was STREAMING the radio broadcast. Streams are always behind live TV or actual terrestrial radio.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    I'm not local, but I switched to the WRUF stream for audio in the second quarter. I had to pause the game on TV for a few seconds to get them synced, but not too bad.