Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeLand safety Williams: Hurricanes were ‘best for me’ (Sentinel)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorjjh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill GC Legend

Feb 7, 2018
    Seems like a nice guy. But we are here if he needs to transfer.

For everyone... choices have consequences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. sngators

sngators Recruit

Dec 8, 2016
    Yeah, that FSU kid that pulled the snow job on us was Dalvin Cook. Yeah, he never amounted to much.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Methinks he was sold on the old thug regime coming back. If that what floats his boat, I hope he is satisfied as to what he will actually have.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Edit- I just checked the history.
    Cook flipped on 12/31/13. Signing day was in February. (No ESD then.)

I finally found it on the internets. It was Shavar Manuel.
    Warning-link to WC.

Gaters Launch Melodrama Against Brad Lawing-Just Tell Them Gators Anything They Want To Hear

So it appears that Shavar Manuel also never did anything in college.
    And he was just arrested last summer.

So wow- I guess I was right.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    So I'm not "selling" anything. No funds are exchanging hands. Just message board chatter.
    If you remember where I'm wrong- post it. It's just some Gators making friendly conversations. From my end anyway.

And if you think a player who changes his school multiple times, does a bunch of big fake-outs, and then goes on to All pro, that's fine.
    Post the long list. I'd love to read it, and hear how those guys did.

I posted 3 very prominent guys who EVERYONE wanted, and who ended up being duds.
    I'll added one more. Mike McIntosh. (His drama was relatively minor compared to some others.)
    He switched to us on the last day from Clemson. Ron Zook got him.
    he was highly rated. He did zip.

I also need to add that my preceding clause of my sentence was I'M SURE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS.

Edit: I know I didn't specify- but I meant major drama. For this cycle the only recruits that would qualify would be Evans and Burch. Williams was more minor drama, though (for me) I'd much rather have a guy like Wingo and Dexter and so many more.
    But obv I'd be happy if we signed Williams too.

6. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

"Followed my heart"..oh brother. WTF does that mean?...does he pee sitting down?

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll still contend that, regardless of what he says, it was 90% "Miami culture" and 10% relationship with coaches.

There are no signs that Miami is improving.

With respects to their passing game, from 130 teams in 2019, the national average of passer rating was 136.26. Miami was under the national average in 7 games last season (six of their last eight games), including a 85.21 vs Duke and a 70.16 vs Louisiana Tech (their last two games).

With respects to their rushing game, they had 8 games with less than 100 yards rushing (including their last two games).

They're 90th in the nation in scoring offense. Excluding games against Division II teams, they have scored over 28 points six times in the past 2 seasons. In other words, they fail to score 28 points in 75% of their games. They failed to score more than 20 points in 11 games.

This included 19 offensive players who were rated in the composite top 300 nationally (i.e. high 4-stars) and 9 who were in the top 100 nationally (I am not including Lorenzo Lingard). In the past two recruiting classes, they only have 1 OL who was rated above a 978th nationally. They're going to struggle to score points. They're going to struggle to protect a QB.

Having a great defense and a zero offense, get's coaches fired. Mrschamp helped Florida maintain one of the best defensive units of the past decade, but you wouldn't know it because our offense was so bad. Miami will likely be looking at a new coaching staff in 2 years. It'd mean that in the middle of Williams' sophomore season, all he'll hear from fans and the media is how bad his team is and how much his coach should be fired. He'll walk into his junior year with a new staff. Pray they don't want to install a new system on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Yeah we really didn’t want him:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Hey wing- the guy you quoted was wrong. Cook flipped on 12/31.
    I was talking about a guy who strung us along all the way to signing day- who kept saying he was coming to UF just to take up an offer so we wouldn't move on.
    After a search- I'm pretty sure that was Shavar Manuel.
    Who didn't do anything in college.

Whether Williams will do anything is unknown. I'll say this- I'd much rather have Wingo and Dexter and AR.
    I wish we got Williams, of course, but I bet Wingo and Dexter have much better careers than Williams.

But it's fine for people to disagree- it's just people offering opinions.

10. ripster

ripster Freshman

Feb 14, 2019
    He did flip, but never played a down at FSU because he couldn't qualify. I remember this at the time as stinging a bit by losing a highly rated commit, but do we really know he wasn't pushed out because staff knew he wasn't going to qualify. I feel these are the situations where it looks like a loss/flip, but there are behind the scenes things going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    ehh, Miami will be fine as long as King stays healthy this upcoming season (OL and a bad kicker issues be damned). They have a solid OC now and now they don't have to rush TVD in as a true freshmen and can allow him to redshirt along with having Perry as the back up. Their issue was just not scoring offensively. Not saying that's an easy fix, but they at least made moves to change it. There is no reason they shouldn't enter the UNC game this upcoming season undefeated, that's how good the schedule sets up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    The story was that he had committed to FSU and Coach Lawing verbally before NSD, but then Lawing told Manuel to tell us that he would commit to us on signing day.
    That way we would reserve a ship for Manuel, and not offer our 2nd choice.
    So our insiders all thought we were getting him, our coaches too, and Manuel and Lawing then crowed about the dirty trick.

It was a revolting display, IMO. But Noles will be Noles.

Edit- here's the link...
    Florida State assistant Brad Lawing didn’t mind seeing Gators sweat out Manuel’s decision – Seminole Post

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We are all good bro. Thank you for clarifying

• Like Like x 1
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's for sure. See the post that says he has 3 kids.

15. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    For the people in the back.....

He clearly doesn’t care about winning.

I wish people would stop telling others how/what to post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I don't see what him being a father to a couple kids has anything to do with his ability. It certainly didn't stop us from heavily recruiting him.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. pinesgator

pinesgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It seems to me that having 2 kids while you are still in high school would indicate a problem with impulse control and planning.
    As old fashioned as this may sound, I still believe that some off the field behaviors can prevent you from being a success on the
    field. But then again, I'm old and out of touch .

The appropriate response to this post would be, Thank you Captain Obvious.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, then you're telling people not to post about telling people not to post? ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If your point is that he made a short sighted decision I agree. If his decision was largely to be near his kids then good for him, but I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. Maybe Ed Reed convinced him of several aspects, one being he will stand out more at scUM then make an NFL roster on three short seasons. And ER is probably a pretty darned good coach. But yeah, they are going to get slammed and the bright side to a terrible offense is plenty of field time for defensive units.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You shouldn’t post that

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1