Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Deficit tops $1 Trillion in 2019 & 2020

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jan 17, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Just think how their heads would be exploding right now if a Dem were president and this were happening during a good economy. They screamed their heads off when it happened during a bad economy and there were obvious non-policy-related reasons the deficit exceeded $1 trillion during the recession. No matter, they still blamed Obama for the trillion dollar deficits. Now we have trillion dollar deficits during a good economy and our conservatives are as quiet as church mice about it. That's because they are hypocrites.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Then there's this. There was a global financial disaster waiting to happen leading up to 2008. If it took a trillion dollar deficit to prevent the disaster, so be it. I don't like that it had to be done, but it had to be done. I know, I was there, I was "on the beach when the tsumami hit" and was in the conference rooms with the arguments that the suits were making because they were going to profit while their customers were about to get...well treated badly. ;);):(

• Like Like x 1
  4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Looks like fiscal responsibility is now left up to us liberals. I need a drink. o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Trump followers no longer care about our deficit. Now the amount of water in their toilet is a bigger concern. :rolleyes:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    It could really be a game the Cons play ... Cut taxes and Spend like crazy when they are in office so when a dem gets elected, they can fight everything Dems want to do “but the deficit” grounds...

Looking back, all Clinton and Obama’s more responsible budgets did was Set Bush and Trump up for tax cuts and pet project spending.

Dems should quit playing along with this nonsense and blow the roof off the deficit when they are in power..... maybe force the cons to actually be the more responsible spenders when they are in office.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just wait until taxcut 2.0

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Don't care. My taxes are lower and my stocks are up. Deficit is somebody else's problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Long as I get's mine, sucks to be you. MAGA baby!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    If we’re being honest, the deficit exists due to entitlement spending.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    I voted for Trump and I like a lot of his policies. I'm also fine with the tax cuts. This deficit is not due to the tax cuts (revenues are at all time high) but it's the spending. No one has the guts and step up and take this on directly. To do what is needed means you will never get re-elected. I give Trump a fail on this.

• Like Like x 2
  12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    The federal deficit was pretty close to balanced last year the fed bought bonds at close to 80 billion dollars a month. It goes against everything I was taught in economics at UF but somehow pumping isn't inflationary.

I haven't checked in a while but I bet that the fed owns more of our bonds than anybody. Maybe even the social security administration.

13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Have you always been this "honest" when it comes to the deficit, or did this revelation suddenly hit you within the past 3 years?

14. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    If we are being really honest, it's because Republicans don't have the balls to cut spending, the just want to play their own version of Santa Claus with tax cuts.

15. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    If anyone was really being honest, they would say all politicians regardless of the letter after their name are in it to make bank. All politicians should be our enemy.

16. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    The problem with this is tax cuts are giving people back money they EARNED, ie it was not the government's money to begin with. Whereas entitlement pay outs are largely money people did NOT earn and the government is giving out money that was not theirs to begin with. Your argument is essentially that government confiscating a lesser percentage of earnings by the people is the reason for deficits. No. The deficits are due to government spending over budget. Meeting budget should not hinge on more confiscation of the free people's earnings.

Regarding having the balls to cut spending, you're partially right. But they can't do it on their own. That's going to have to be a bi-partisan effort and I think you know that. And again, if we're being honest, who started us down that slippery slope of no return? Big government libs or fiscal conservatives?

17. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe, but the deficit spending trend lately has been Up under Reagan/Bush ... Down under Clinton .... Up under Bush II ... Down under Obama ... Up under Trump ... That's a 40 year trend that is pretty undeniable. At least the Dems raise taxes to pay for the things they want. Republicans think spending more and cutting taxes makes things "pay for themselves" ... it's magical.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    No, my argument is that for all the gums smacking, Republicans don't have the balls to cut spending ... and instead are selling ideas like "these tax cuts will pay for themselves" to really, really gullible people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    The easiest way to neuter Washington D.C. is to lower taxes. Cut off the money supply and the corruption begins to dry up. As long as we're volunteering such a high cut of our earnings to the scumbags, they're going to continue to play their lawyerly games.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Federal tax revenue dropped 0.4% from 2017 to 2018 under the new tax cuts. The tax cuts (again, giving people money back THEY earned in the first place) are not the issue.

• Disagree Disagree x 1