Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Defensive Line DLine DL recruiting thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He would wreck things in any era.

2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What type of injury and will he be able to get his 4 games to play and be able to retain his redshirt. It would be nice to have a feel for his talent at the college level.

What about Goods and Humphries? Is UF going to be able to count on them at a high level at least by 22? They're not freshmen and they are not playing any. That's a bit disconcerting even if only 3 games in. They should have been able to earn PT against FAU and USF.

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s not uncommon with the big boys. Many aren’t ready until year three. Physical development is just as much of a factor as learning techniques and systems. The difference in many kids between 18 and 22 years of age is astronomical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Funny thing is there is lots of tape on Donald on YouTube. I actually looked at some good quality tape.

What I saw was a the perfect 3 technique DT who also slides out to SDE. He has incredible speed, probably the best first move I've ever seen, combined with incredible strength.

Donald's strength is on passing plays. His stats bears that out: QB sacks, QB rushes/hurries, and hits on the QB are better than anyone in NFL history. However, he is doing this in an era of the preferred NFL style of play, the high flying wide open passing game where passing game stats take a priority over the running game stats, if they are even mentioned.

Looking at stops, getting tackles in the running game, Donald isn't anything spectacular. I particularly enjoyed watching a tackle with the Colts who is 30 lbs. heavier abuse Donald on running plays. To be fair, Donald was attracting double teams on passing plays in this film.

When you say Donald would dominate in any era, I'm not buying it. Any NFL team choosing to run a balanced attack with a good running game can neutralize Donald. Teams that pound the ball would give him a very tough time. Just curious, does any such team still exist in the NFL? If so, tell me as I'd be interested in watching some of those games.

I also looked at the top 25 DTs in the NFL. Most are the size that I find more appropriate even in the pass happy NFL. Most ranged from 295 up to 340. That makes Donald the smallest in weight at 280.

Donald is an anomaly. There isn't another player at DT as good for the current NFL game with his unique size, speed, and talent. However, it doesn't make sense to hold him up as the typical desired for the hybrid DT/SDE position when he is a one and only combined with playing in the NFL at the right time.

That's the way I see it. Like it or don't like it, that's up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well alrighty then, I hope you are right because UF will need them in 22.

I really, really hope the Leonard Taylor rumors are true. UF could use him too.

Don't want to and won't have an OL discussion in this thread, but what you say about big guys being slow to develop is more true for big OL, more body shaping is usually involved. That's a big reason why I disapprove of the negativism and the lack of patience for OL development and our OL coach in the OL thread, particularly the thread that was shutdown. Yesterday, 3rd year Kingsley Eguakun stated in his interview that he was better than what he was rated and now he's showing it. Just say'n. End of unsolicited OL discussion in this DL thread.

6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    He's also a true freshman behind a bunch of veteran guys, a 5*, and a 400lb freak of nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's so comforting to know UF will have 3 DTs who can play in 2022 presuming Lee's foot allows him to play and get experience in 21. I guess UF will just slide some of their bigger DEs inside. No biggie. Oh wait, Zanders is the only DE coming back who has the size and experience to slide inside.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    better hope the transfer portal is generous

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s just physical development in a position where strength is absolutely necessary. Some develop young and some never at all. Ivey and cece are good examples of guys that never really took that next step in physical development. It’s just genetics and impossible to predict.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Committed:

DE - Francois Nolton

Other prospects we're seemingly after at DE:

Cyrus Moss
    DJ Wesolak
    Mykel Williams (USCw...for now?)
    Quency Wiggins

DT prospects we're seemingly after:

Walter Nolen
    Jamari Lyons
    Isaiah Hastings
    Jordan Philips (Tennessee)
    Chris McClellan
    Dominic James

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lamar Goods is a second year RFR. At 6'2"/332, he the size to play both DT positions. Genetics? His father played 10 years in the Canadian Football League. It's disappointing that he hasn't earned any PT and especially so in 21 against FAU and USF, 2 teams a redshirt player should get some snaps in late in the game. His best SEC offers were Georgia and Kentucky. He committed to UK before flipping to UF

Jaelin Humphries is a third year RSO. At 6'3"/328, he has the size to play both DT positions. He played in 1 game in 19. He played in the Texas A&M game in 20 which led me to think he was further along in his development towards playing. Since the Texas A&M game, Humphries hasn't seen the field. Humphries had a terrific list of offers:

Alabama/Georgia/LSU/Mississippi State/Tennessee

I'm giving true freshman Chris Thomas a pass as there are folks here who say he meets the eye test and will likely develop and play.

What concerns me most is we have two DTs who are not showing signs that they are developing enough to play. I would not want to count on them to be ready in 22 nor would I want to put players on the field that can't handle their responsibilities.

Even if UF gets Hastings, Lyons, and say Walter Nolan, a stretch, or another DT, these guys will be true freshmen who will need development time too.

I thought when UF brought in Newkirk and Shelton-Valentino plus added Truesdell late that it was to buy time for the youngsters to develop. Sadly, I see no evidence of that happening with 2 games come and gone where the players needing development could have gotten game snaps to help them prepare for 22.

It looks like UF will have to raid the transfer portal again.

Hopefully, our 21 DT transfers in will do well and get picked up by the NFL. That would grease the skids to entice a couple of more DTs to transfer in to help in the short run.

12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    @ETGator1 When I rewatched the game, Humphries was in street clothes on the sideline. I think he’s had a lingering back issue his entire time in college (or whatever the injury he arrived to UF with is STILL lingering which is why some have felt he may never be a real contributor)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Back and shoulder injuries are never a good thing. (shaking head) I feel bad for Humphries, so much lost potential, if he can't heal.

This is where it wouldn't hurt for players injuries to be updated from time to time. I had no idea Humphries is dealing with a chronic back injury.

UF needs 3 really good DTs in the 22 class. A transfer or two would complete the deal for 22.

14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    :(

16. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Good for him. I hope he gets the PT he is looking for out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, he was stuck in a log jam at the Buck position and just could not get the PT he wanted.

18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That’s a long way to go for some PT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Bogle only got 14 snaps v. Bama. It was a good move by him to go, and he was able to find a P5, which some of our transfer portal players had a hard time finding. It took Houston a while to find his landing spot, and he was a relatively talented player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Chatfield played SSDE and was basically supplanted by Umanmeilen.