Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Defense secretary orders 60-day stand-down to confront extremism in the military

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator VIP Member

Dec 31, 2016
    You misread what my concerns. No one is advocating or making excuses for the actions of knot heads on Jan 6. These investigations are are ongoing and those complicit in the action will be prosecuted as necessary.

You are more than welcome to your opinion concerning traitorous deeds of those that assaulted the capitol which some of the crowd may well be. You are also more than welcome to believe in a traitorous act committed by former President Trump even though the evidence shows this is not the case. Former President Trump did not direct any of this nor is he the cause of actions taken by such people. I believe I have made it clear that this was not an insurrection as has been claimed by elected officials, the media and pundits alike. It has no leadership much less an agenda for replacement of our government. In the overall view of everything that has transpired over the last four years this match was lit a long time ago.

2. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    BTW, I think you might enjoy Regeneration Through Violence by Richard Slotkin.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    We can differ about what Trump said and did not do on January 6. Yes, I agree traitor as applied to Trump might not be strictly true. However, I don't know what else to call a man who started calling an election rigged before it was ever held (because he'd seen the polls); who summoned people to the Capitol the very day the votes were to be certified by Congress; who in my view exhorted those assembled to do something about a rigged election (for which there was not a shred of evidence); who did not concede the election or peacefully transfer power; and who continues to this day to call the election "stolen". No president in our nearly 250 year history has done this or behaved in such defiance of our Constitution.

What would you call him?

4. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Now here is where you and I differ in opinion. The release of power took place regardless of your assessment of it being peaceful. I will admit it was not graceful and with much rancor. Given what former former President Trump was put through during his term one could say it is understandable which is not to be construed as an excuse but a reaction to attacks that have been proven fruitless and riddled with lies. Yet that is the path our elected officials chose to go down. (What more can I say as a Marine and the fighting side of me).

As for the the election being rigged these claims have been touted by our elected officials every election cycle and I've no doubt the same claims will be made in 2022 and beyond.

That said there are discrepancies that are still being audited today. Regardless of findings the election will stand as it is too late to do much else. What comes after is yet to be revealed. I also find no fault in questioning an election as it is the right of every candidate to do so. That questioning and resolution has to happen within the prescribed time line of the United States Constitution. Now that the time line has been exceeded it does not mean that we drop all claims without further investigation otherwise we would never get our house in order. While you may call this a defiance of the Unites States Constitution I view this very differently.

5. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'll say. Over and out.

6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Wait a minute, so you agree or disagree with the author's claim that Milley was calling all Trump voters terrorists?

7. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    What is peaceful about our capital being stormed resulting in deaths? I agree with your assessment of all branches, but don’t have nearly the insight you do. Respect your service.

How many people died, at our capital, because of Bush V. Gore? Imagine if Trump was involved there…

He lost in a landslide.

8. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Absolutely not although I do agree with other items he identified in that opinion piece. Hence the quote.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  9. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    There is nothing peaceful about storming the Capitol. What was peaceful is former President leaving office which many claimed he would not do under any circumstance. I don't know how I could have been anymore clear on that point.

As to your imaginary it is strictly your imaginary which I'll leave you to dwell in. I would rather deal with the here and now versus the what could or might have happened in some past historical accounting.

10. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Just like police, the military attracts a certain candidate.

11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    What candidate is that?

12. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The stand down could have been executed much better. The ALNAV that went out that provided guidance on how to identify extremists organizations was poorly written. Based on what was in the ALNAV, a member of the Roman Catholic Church and several other faiths would qualify as extremists. Clearly that was not the intent but it appeared that someone in the SecNav’s office was in a hurry to get the letter out.

13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06

Aug 30, 2014
    Milley was spot on. Capeveritas' objections to Milley are quite weak, as is the federalist article about him. Milley was explaining in response to an earlier question about a course taught at West Point how he wanted to know why people were trying to overturn the constitution. Which of course is exactly what violent insurrectionist assault on the capitol was. That came from a rage carried out by mostly white people--in particular white males. Nothing in the UCMJ prevents him from speaking to this or discussing why he has read Mao and Marx etc.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    One that has higher rates of domestic/sexual violence, criminality, mental illness, and drug use. Obviously there is some “chicken and egg” causality there, but they tend to be much more of the macho type personality to begin with.

They also tend to come from poorer backgrounds (often why they join, despite the risk), and the correlating statistics with that.

This isn’t meant as a judgement.

15. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Words can be more powerful than actions. The fact that Trump wasn’t physically removed from the Oval Office, doesn’t mean anything. It wasn’t peaceful and the buck stops somewhere.

• Winner Winner x 1