Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Decision Day: DT Manny Rogers will make his commitment Friday at Noon

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorjjh, Jul 12, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    This is the reason why ranking services are poor. Fabricated ranking and escalation of kid’s ranking when FSU is interested in a player. UF and TN did not offer. Fake commitment orchestrated by coaching staff for FSU alumni benefit, as no one else wanted this kid

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    I actually like this kid, but I like our board more. All good.

4. jpullen

jpullen Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    This guy claiming he had offers from UF and Tennessee is as ridiculous as Eric Swarwell bragging that he was a candidate for the presidency! Marianne Williamson (the political personification of F$U) is still on the dais. Swarwell was ko’ed quicker than a British heavyweight. Men with ED and PE last longer than Swarwell.

We will likely see that this new F$U recruit will end up like a “stud” DT player signed by Coach Pell (sight unseen) who showed up at UF tooooo short and tooooo heavy but played a mean game of pool.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It doesn’t matter how long a similarly ranked commit has been playing the sport if the point is they are equally ranked.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our class is similar to fsu’s at the moment but hopefully as the season plays out and recruiting this cycle comes to a close there will be a distinct difference between the two classes. As I said, we have 5 players with similar ratings to fsu’s commit and it doesn’t matter when or how the services arrived at his. They have 10 4 star and 6 3 star, we have 9 4 star and 8 3 star. Obviously it’s not yet as if we are kicking their ass.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    It matters if you want to know what you're actually getting. Who cares what some lame recruitotainment site says; their evals are getting more suspect by the day.

If a fan's only interested in stars or the point value of a recruit, in that ridiculous quest for recruiting titles, so be it.

But for those folks who want to know more, something tangible like how much experience a kid has in his sport, makes a difference... sometimes a very big difference.

If I've got 2 players with similar measurables, and 1 kid has been playing since Pop Warner, while the other has been playing basketball all his life until he got too big to play, I think I'd prefer the player who's been getting instruction IN FOOTBALL all along for the previous 10 years... rankings and ratings be damned. 1 kid has a 6 or 7 year head start on the other; and if the first one is a coach's son or has a heavily involved father from the jump, the disparity might be even more glaring.

I'm just saying it's irrelevant what his ranking is, or if some Slo-Nole wants to beat his chest; what we want to know is what they really got... it doesn't take much homework to find out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. sd_gator

sd_gator All American

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    I want M'ba, the DT that is on our commit Lamar Goods HS team, if we take another DT this class.

9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    It works both ways. The kid playing all his life might be tapped out. While the kids just starting might be filled with potential. I doubt any nole fannis beating their chest, just as we aren't beating our chest over trevez.

I do think the recruiting stuff is interesting. No one really knows what you are getting with these kids. It's tough to really find out the mental makeup, and that's what's really important. As for recruiting titles I dismiss them but also pay attention. You need talent to win, especially consistently and definitely throughout the SEC. and you usually need a dynamic QB unless you've simply loaded your team with recruiting titles.

I hate it, but its worth paying attention to.

10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Also take note,some of these kids were too big all their life and couldn't play football until hs. Had a childhood friend who couldn't play with us when we were little. He was over the weight limit for the next league up for our age group and they only let you move up one age group. He played baseball, soccer, basketball, etc until hs, then started on the varsity football as a freshman. He dropped baseball when he got to hs, but continued to play on the basketball team (they one state twice). Earned basketball and football scholly's all over the place, but ended up playing nose tackle for fl, and then 7 or so more years in the nfl after that.

Just because they got a late start, doesn't mean they can't be good. Especially the big uglies.

11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    We're going to get a ranking and rating regardless, but it took me less than a minute to find out this will only be his 2nd year of playing football, ever.

Don't really buy the used up theory; at least not with kids who are just now seniors in hs, and where they are often the biggest man on the field at any given time. Obviously that'll change once in college, where every player lined up across from them is their same size and a challenge.

Noting that there are exceptions, ideally, I think most coaches prefer kids with some experience at their position, all other things being equal.

12. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Some take the word of a nerd that rates players

Over staffs with a great track record of spotting talent

Your star system doesn’t replace working a player out and seeing what he’s got

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Don't think I've seen anyone suggest that. The question is, if you had your druthers between 2 equally ranked/rated players, would you prefer the kid with 10 years playing football or the kid starting his 2nd?

14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Honestly don’t think that would be a factor. Especially after growing up with a kid that didn’t get to play organized football until he was in hs and watching him go on to have a lengthy nfl career.

My decision would be more based on my personal evaluation of the two, and probably largely based on the fact that one of them wanted to play for ME.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d say Mullen would need to evaluate the two players in question. Each instance is a completely different situation.

16. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    As I said, all other things being equal...

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Equal is only an opinion and that’s a decision for Mullen. That’s what he’s paid to do. If the players are equal, they are just that, equal. Projecting where the two will be in a couple years is what matters, not where they are now.

18. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    They're equal everywhere but experience. Obviously he must not have been such a great get if FSU had to manufacture a phony recruiting battle to hype the commitment... a battle neither of the other 2 teams even knew they were in. :emoji_laughing:

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, well, this is from a guy that wears a whistle during games so everyone remembers he's the coach. Strategical genius drivin' the bus.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    FWIW, Jabari Juniga was a DT in HS that only had 2 years of experience and was underrated because of that.

• Like Like x 4