Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dec 23 (Thu) 7 PM Florida vs Central Florida Gasparilla Bowl ESPN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Dec 19, 2021.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    So glad i didn't watch. Mullen’s stain has been lifted. Move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  2. yarmond1

yarmond1 Senior

Aug 5, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Dumpster fire for next 10 years.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I sure hope BN can fix this

4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    what did they do?

5. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    We have some talent, yes, but let’s be realistic and realize we’ve a long way to go before competing at a high level consistently. We have not been in the top 5 in recruiting in a long time .

that is a problem that Napier must fix.

6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    There is a reason corp America removes the fired personnel rather than leaving them in charge of training, planning and National exposure/ embarrassment. Purge everyone.

7. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    ...but FSU is looking up at everyone...even us.

8. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Avoid the Peter Principle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I feel Dex is one of the best returning DL in the league. Dominated the los last night an is our only true dominant DL. With coaching he’s all sec next year. My guess is he played more DL snaps last night than any other game this year and he looked like a man child. He’s looked that way against more than just UCF.

Cox has a ton of talent BUT takes way too many plays off. Think about it, 4 sacks against FSU and 4 other sacks in the other 12 games. Something’s wrong there. He’s a 5th to 6th rounder but believe he’s said he’s already coming back. As far as best players on the defense I tend to say Torrence, Hopper, and Dexter are the top 3. Cox way too inconsistent.

As far as other edge guys beyond Cox-I think Princely if given the chance is a 5-6 sack guy next year. Beyond that very thin but Boone has major talent. I’d like to see us grab Verse out of the portal.

I do trust AR 15. Without him we get smoked by FSU. Came in and managed the game and unlike Emory didn’t take the low percentage throws and didn’t turn it over. The most absurd thing we all saw this year was AR sitting.

Good points on wide receivers although I think Napier and company turn Shorter into a 45-50 catch guy and Whittemore into a 30-35 catch guy but your right about the speed thing. Burke has a lot of talent and I’d expect to see an impact portal guy coming in. Cope under Napier would produce big numbers. AR seemed to connect w Cope too. Cope comes back and we add an impact transfer and we’d be fine. I like Shorter and Whit as number 3 and 4 with Cope and one other impact transfer ( Cowing from UTEP is ideal).
    Lingard and Bowman are definitely unproven. Portal back or someone highly regarded like Tre Citizen could have an immediate impact.

Wingo looks like he’s improving every opportunity he gets. He’s not had much opp but when he gets it he’s always around the ball.
    Scooby- your right. I was just excited to see him play last night. BIG future and Napier will not allow him to sit.

Miller- if back provides a veteran presence we need. Dude can fill a gap and comes down hill.

Hopper- big future. Wonder if he will have to sit out the first half of Utah.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ordinarily I would blow off this post as ridiculous. Over the top. I mean, what coach would intentionally lose a game? But last night was inexplicable.

Everything said above is actually plausible. How else do you explain going away from our strength and building a game plan around our weakness — and staying with it the entire game? The sight of Pierce standing on the sideline while EJ repeatedly drops back and throws into the dirt was infuriating. Knox is either clueless or he was doing this on purpose.

Calling Mullen a quarterback whisperer is even more ridiculous than praising Muschamp as a defensive mind. Mullen whispered a mediocre Emory Jones into a totally dysfunctional clown.

Incompetence or sabotage - take your pick. Either could apply.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    There was a moment in the 3rd qtr when the sideline reporter said the O line was jacked up because the coaches told them that they were going to run block because UCF couldn't stop it.

Right after her report, 3 pass plays were called and we punted.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. iwannaperfectseason

iwannaperfectseason GC Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    We lost to 3-Star U.

Recruiting Rankings for UCF:
    2021 58th - ONE 4-Star. Everyone else 3 or below.
    2020 75th - Everyone was 3 or below.
    2019 60th - Everyone was 3 or below.
    2018 62th - Everyone was 3 or below.
    2017 55th - ONE 4-Star (transferred to Alcorn State). Everyone else was 3 or below.

To be fair, they did get some previous 4-Stars via the Portal:
    2021 - TWO 4-Stars from Auburn. Neither player shows up in the box score.
    2020 - TWO 4-Stars from Georgia & Nebraska. One played well against us. The other DNP.
    2019 - ONE 4-Star from Notre Dame who did not play against us.
    2018 - ONE 4-Star from Ole Miss and now in the NFL.

It's also the first time we lost to a Florida team other than scUM or the Semis since 1938. That was to Stetson.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    and what makes me mad is that this whole season, I didn’t see a team void of talent, far from it, they looked like a unit that was poorly prepared and poorly coached. They only showed up from the opening snap 4 times this year (Bama, LSU, UGA, FSU) with intensity and focus that matched their talent. Every other game it felt like the approach was just we’re good enough to do whatever and still out talent you

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    There was at least the injury excuse and being down to the 3rd string QB There is no excuse for how the team played this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Knox and the other coaches on the sideline were dead men walking. And the team didn’t respect them enough to go out and win one last game for them. It was a setup for failure. There were some great individual efforts out there but no team chemistry. If the coaches had put us in a position to win we might have seen a better result. But they didn’t, and we didn’t

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    Has CBN commented publicly about the game?

17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    but I thought we're basically a school of 3 stars...or at least thats what people have been saying on this board

18. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I mentioned several years ago that Dan had a little bit of Urban in him and got roasted. Urban left for health issues most likely due to mess he had made. Dan got fired for it. There's a reason Billy says be patient. There may be more than a few players that think he's gone full Ahab on them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    This^
    I was thinking finally they are going to ride Pierce and maybe go 2-2. Um, no.
    Complete ineptitude, just over their heads. Hiring decisions matter

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    More likely arrogance.