Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DC Tourist Savagely Beaten, Stomped, Spit on by Gang of Youths at Hilton Hotel Where Re

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 26, 2019.

1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Your earlier point was about race. Mine was vague (and though you couldn't know it based on my elision, not about race). Any conclusion you draw is your own.

2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I date a woman who was an 11th grade teacher in DC public high school for several months. The things she told me her students said around her (not about her) was pretty shocking.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

4. tilly

Fair enough. Than why not say it instead of cloke your response with vagueness?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I provided another thread from the same local crime beat from around the country series to see if you would consider that thread having turned pretty racist. If the argument is that too often that term is used, we should probably have some parameters where it should be appropriately used. I was just wondering if the pages of snide comments about the race of the perpetrators in that case would count as a thread that could reasonably have been considered racist or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Boards like this have anonymity letting people let their true selves and thoughts out. Some they wouldn't let people see in public.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I know what would have happened when I was in school and started talking dirty around a teacher. Butt meets board of education.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tilly

Gotcha. Without having read the thread are you meaning racial or racist? Racist comments are not permitted. Racial threads are limited to one per page.

No racist comments should be allowed, though some may consider racism where it is not, while others may not consider racism where it actually is.

As mods it is a fine line, but I personally do not jump to the same quick conclusions that you may, simply because I think people do not portray much balance on message boards and that unbalanced portrayal is often not a fair representation of someone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It wasn’t so much dirty but outlook on things. She said a group of girls talked about how they were going to be going to a mall and shoplifting things at Victoria Secret. They said that the store would not lay those items out on a table if they did not expect them to be stolen.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am meaning racist. It was very thinly veiled, but I was wondering if that thread would count, in your opinion.

11. tilly

No question...but I am not clairvoyant enough to know which ones are voicing a strong opinion and which ones are truly using this as a forum for their deeper rooted bigotry.

Some folks simply think white people get a bum wrap. (Which is how I think the OP may feel)

That alone is not racism. Not TRUE racism.

My guess is the OP has no desire to deprive minorities of anything. Nor does he think that should be the case.

Racism is an actual thing. Not some flimsy term to toss around when racial disagreement arises.

Being frustrated (by any side) over racial frustrations only truly becomes racist when one lets thoae frustrations actually affect the way they treat others.

You and I have no idea if the OP does that.

12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Don't need to be clairvoyant. people are putting it out there with their words.
    That's all I need to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    That reminds me of what my grandfather used to say. He was Chief of Police for a few years and his remedy for minor crimes was a razor strap on their butts. Of course, they would not let him do it but with him, it was right or wrong, there was no gray area. Very good man but very tough.

14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Two reasons: 1) It allows the parties who have alleged (fill in the blank) about others to respond with an opposing assumption which throws light on something not said.
    And 2) Though I'm sure my unspoken/unwritten assessment is correct, not saying it spares me the disingenuous deflections the initial party/ies is/are certain to provide.

15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You obviously haven’t seen any of the Sharknado documentaries

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You are hereby sentenced to 20 years hard labor here. :)

Okay, maybe racist is misused at times, but having read your response to md, I think you make a good point along the lines of not knowing what is going through the mind of the op (which I take to mean what's in his heart of hearts). This is often what I think even when I see instances of unmistakably expressed racism or hate etc...

I think your view of racism is too narrowly constructed such that it misses how racism encompasses racial bias and is about attitudes. IOW it's a broader more dynamic concept. I don't know what is in the op's heart of hearts. He's probably a good guy as far as I know, even if I find some of his views severely misguided.

But I don't believe it's out of bounds to question the pattern of threads that get started and why, just as you probably would at least question in your mind were I to suddenly start neg threads about Christianity even if I didn't explicitly write anything negative because the choice of doing so multiple times would be signaling something to you.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Back on topic - still some questions about this case. Was it a matter of mistaken identity? Will others be arrested? Hopefully answers will come soon, given that they have one perpetrator in custody. I hope the kid sings like a bird, as that would be the best source of information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I can assure you I wasn't bs'ing. You project a lot. If I repeatedly called people liars I'd probably be afraid of getting jumped too. If I went around talking crap I couldn't back up I'd probably live in fear as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was the one who said to beware of your surroundings. The vast majority of the time you will be fine if you do that and other basic self protection measures, but no one is ever 100 percent not safe, that is the disconnect in this thread. The very reason the story made national news is because it’s so rare, tourist areas of DC are generally very very safe. I have literally never heard of any friends, family or acquaintances having had anything remotely similar to this happening to them in the city. And we have been out on city streets at 2a more times than I can count.
    I don’t not swim into the ocean because of rare shark attacks, don’t not fly when there is a plane crash, don’t stop investing in the market when it has a bad day, and I don’t not go downtown because of a story like this.
    If your point is that it’s an unsettling reminder that we aren’t truly safe anywhere, then sure, I think on that we can all agree. But fear implies a behavioral change. That is why folks are pushing back on your characterization.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not much to go on right now. Whether it was mistaken id. or not, it seems to me that *something*precipitated this incident. However, it's not out of the norm for teens to be impulsive, even impulsively violent for no good reason at all.