Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DBU must rise to win NC 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by severnt, Jan 7, 2019.

1. severnt

severnt Sophomore

Feb 2, 2012
    After watching the 2018 Alabama vs Clemson game tonight, it is clear that to win a national title in the next couple of years, DBU must rise!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    DBU will be fine, what we need is DLU to emerge.

Stop. The. Run

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Both. TL and those receivers just torched the Bama DBs all night. Also, no sacks for Bama and only one penalty and no turnovers for Clemson. Clemson played a flawless game, but lack of depth on the Dline and lack of experience/ talent in the secondary did in the Tide. Ands TL and those receivers are only going to get better. They will all be gone when our program really hits its stride in 2021 anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I hope you are right, but I'm setting my short term expectations significantly lower. Retake the swamp, and sweep our rivals. Continue transforming the culture.

I'll worry about Bama & Clemson after the 2020/21 classes mature.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Although I love Florida being the real DBU, after watching the national championship last night we need to be the OLU, DLU, WRU and the QBU.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Junior

Aug 20, 2018
    UF needs game changers like #42 on the line for the Defense to be Elite

7. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    Luke is right. Bama could not get to Lawrence last night. By the same token Bama could not pass block. They could run the ball but the D couldn’t stop Doofusses boys. This was an LOS game and the strongest team won.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes more good/great D-lineman and more good/great DBs are important to that winning formula.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You mean the dude that was too slow to get the fumble recovery for Clemson? or was that someone else that I was thinking about. Did he play on the D-line for Clemson?

10. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I said after watching Clemson play earlier in the year that we need big tall receivers that catch every ball thrown to them within a 5 yard radius (Ross). We will be unstoppable if we have 1 on each side. Toney > Renfro, so we got the small shifty guy already.
    Although I love Van Jefferson, Ross is amazing.

11. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    We haven't seen what Copeland can do maybe he'll be Ross-like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I am hoping Grimes can catch

13. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I've been a "yeah, show me" or "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of guy since about 2015, but my optimism is back. This outstanding recruiting class that is coming together will have a minimal effect on the 2019 season because most of these guys will be freshmen. However, all of these draftable juniors staying with the program for another year is going to make a HUGE difference in the 2019 season. Keeping good juniors on the team is what made Bama and Clemson the two best programs in cfb over the last five years. I saw a chart somewhere that listed LSU and Bama side by side on the number of five-star and high four-star recruits, the number of juniors going to the nfl, the number of juniors staying for their senior year, all broken down by "1st round draft choices" and "non-1st round draft choices".

The chart showed almost the same number of 5-star and high 4-star signees, and almost the same number of juniors going to the nfl. Bama had a few more elite signees and LSU had a few more juniors that went to the nfl. The difference was that almost every Bama junior that left for the draft over that five-year period got drafted in the first round and for LSU, less than 40% of those juniors that left got drafted by the nfl in the first round. Further, over the five-year period starting in year 2 of the first five-year period (to take into account the year the first juniors left for the nfl and didn't play in year 2), Bama was 5-0 against LSU, by an average score of "a lot" to "not many." Bama manages to keep draftable, but not first-round caliber, juniors in their program. LSU does not. IMO, Chauncey and Vosean should have stayed (I'll be pulling for them in the nfl).

Clemson was in that game and won it because that whole DL of draftable juniors (some of them would have been 1st rounders), along with some other draftable juniors, returned to their team.

My point is that our seven or so draftable juniors announcing last week that they are staying in the program is going to make us a really good football team in 2019. Don't sleep on us. I actually think that we are going to be serious CFP contenders in 2019. I don't know if this is the first place you've heard that, but if you haven't already heard it, you heard it here first.

15. rawgator22

rawgator22 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Asheville, NC
    What the game underscored to me, as it seems to every year, is you absolutely have to have an elite QB. Lawrence is NFL ready as a true freshman, Tua is a stud who had an off night. A great supporting cast is needed as others have mentioned, but your ceiling is NY6 unless you have one of the 6-7 best QBs in college football.

We could have been a contender with Grier, but no need to rehash all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    The good news is there isn't a group of position coaches I would take over Hevesy, Gonzalez, Sunseri, and Mullen. As long as they are here we are going to get every ounce out of the talent we recruit at OL, WR, QB, and DL.

The moral of the story with Clemson is if you recruit well at DL and hit a grand slam at QB you can win championships. Watson and Lawrence are why they have beat Saban twice. As long as Mullen is here we'll have one the best QB rooms and QB development in the country IMO. We need to recruit better along the DL, though. Sunseri's resume proves that if we get talented guys he'll coach them up to be the best in the nation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Junior

Aug 20, 2018
    #42 I think his name is Christian Wilkins. He is elite and he was blowing up Bamas OL all night

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Our receivers are limited by Franks. He has to continue to develop if our receivers are going to be allworld.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Offensive U needs to rise...

20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Kearse?

But we need blue collar guys like Ray Mac that clog the lane so the DE's and LB's can wreck havoc, which in turn leaves our NFL DB's to pick off the desperation passes!