Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Daquan Newkirk To UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 14, 2021.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    You can probably take Gouraige and white off the 22 list, assuming they play well in 21.

2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I think 6 might be overkill but I agree with the idea. DL (and DT especially) should never be ignored or completely whiffed. I suspect either Boone or sapp or both end up at DT to help going forward.

3. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There was at least a solid week here on this board, if not longer, that posters were openly doubting whether Bowman would actually come to UF. I remember because I had a tiny bit of inside info that was mostly lost in the storm of "I won't get my hopes up" and "we never land those kind of players anymore" and "I won't believe until he's actually here," complete with links to clickbait articles alluding to other his options.

I agree that Bowman knew where he was headed before he even entered to portal, but there was still recruiting from other schools once it happened. And I don't blame those other programs. After all, at least part of the reason we were a foregone conclusion was Mullen recruiting Bowman all the way until he signed with Clemson, a fact I commented positively on at the time that was then roundly considered a waste of time after a missed opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    I agree, both of those guys (esp Boone) are likely to move inside in a few years. Will be interesting to if either Watson or Thomas RS this year, guess it depends on if Dunlap returns and/or Goods or Humphries show up for Spring practice.

5. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I forgot stone was leaving. Major blow tbh

6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    He was all class too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Sarcasm uses hyperbole as tool...
    One would think that was covered in Ann Arbor.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    A school won’t reach out to a top player just because the player has a favored school? Not likely. If a player has been contacted, that is defined as recruitment.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    I understand if someone has that complaint but the fact is that now the portal is a viable option/strategy.

What I have seen on here is many people upset we are using the portal to plug holes we missed from high school but it’s not an either or, it’s everything combined.

Recruiting is, now more than ever, high school signees plus grad transfers plus JUCO transfers plus portal transfers. Not one but a mixture of them all.

The transfer portal has changed recruiting forever. A kid can sign out of high school then leave after a semester in school or after two years in school. It is part of the game now.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I love large athletic SDE, so I hope Boone can stay there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Let me ask, how do you think CDM is using the portal? IMHO (I don't want to state the obvious, but I am going to state the obvious.) First season, he knew he's going to need WRs and DLs which is why he got them from the portal. Same for 2021.

I know it's not popular here to use the portal to supplement the roster. But if he keeps getting good quality of play (similar to Van and Greenard) from these guys, then why not keep using it. I don't think it can be called a band aid if it's working every year.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Exactly, look at um with Diaz. If he didn't land King and those 2 DE's they would have won maybe 3 games max this year. Now Mid Major Mike is using the portal to plug their major holes. This board seems forever cursed with whining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    Adding in the transfers, multiple 5 stars, significantly raises our recruiting classes.
    Building a winning team legally is what counts. Bama gets all the high school 5 stars. We’ll win with who we get.
    A little more depth on the Oline would set us up nice for 21.

14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    do you think UF makes the CFP within the next two years?

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Year after next could be a good shot with a seasoned line and a second year qb. Defense has some talent and those guys should be fairly experienced by then.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Yes, I actually do.

#1 I believe Dan will keep the O humming

#2 if the D fails in 2021 TG will be 100% gone

I also believe if we have had a completely normal season UF goes into the SECCG undefeated. It's absolutely unfounded that UF was forced to play 9 games in 9.5 weeks straight. Not a single team in CFB had to face that. Yet we were the ONLY team competitive with the gumps. So I have complete faith in CDM.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Our lines of scrimmage don’t have “holes” in them, they’re below par at best. O has numbers but nearly all are projects save goiruage. D line is beyond sparse. You have to land 1-2 kids a side per cycle that are elite. That’s not a drastic change. That’s more specifically where my concerns are. The fsu kid transferring to bamar is not the norm along the los.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We had holes all over our roster and played Bama tight. I can’t wait to see a balanced seasoned team here.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Being below par and having holes can coexist. We have a hole at OT that needs filled with a transfer.

20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    This! I believe we have the talent & coaching to compete with anybody any Sat. Depth was our biggest killer & I believe this season we have enough bodies to finally finish.