Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dang , I love beating UK for Scottie

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gulfgator, Oct 3, 2018.

1. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Sorry, but not sorry, Cal.

Makes you realize how very fortunate Gator fans are to have Mike.

Time for a new Gator championship run!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Great to win a recruiting battle against UK head to head!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Well, it's a pretty rare occasion. The Bagman is a difficult person to overcome.

4. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I love the Calipari hate....rub it in!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Ya know DailyDouble...
    The more you are around here, da more I likes you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Thank you! I think all know I can’t stand that SOB.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie seems articulate and intelligent. UF has a better Athlete Academic center and better academics than UK has. Scottie fits better at UF. He will represent UF well.

Don't feel to bad for UK. They have a commitment from a guard that is higher ranked than Scottie is.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Cal is a crafty one. In retrospect, his actions that last day or so are pretty telling and typical Cal.
    He wanted to take one last swing at getting Scottie to delay his decision, but did not want to fan the flames of losing to White in a head-to-head battle. . . so he sends Barbee to a losing cause.
    Then, in effort to quiet the impending noise of his whiff on Scottie . . . he tweets out to BBN how great practices are going and how hard-working his team is. They eat it up.
    He is a master at this stuff. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Most fans are thrilled with his recruiting though. He's had to deal with fan frustration before but I don't see that being the case this time. Fans wanted Scottie, no doubt though. But he wasn't a can't miss recruit. Also, Cal tweets or comments often enough about practice or players or this or that - that it mostly becomes white noise. I think you're reading too much into this.

10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe.

You would pay closer attention to his tweet frequency than me.

11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    It may not matter at all to the overall grand scheme of things but I think it hurt Cal the most that he couldn't get either of those Ranney kids. He knew their story, he knew all about Klatsky-funded Team Rio, and he wanted to put out that flame. He whiffed on both and I believe it stung his ego. He could've went after plenty of other highly ranked kids knowing that Lewis considers Florida family, but he decided to recruit his butt off to the very end. His time is valuable, and Lewis wasted a lot of it.

12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I do think this stung for Cal. Just dont' think its on the level of borderline humiliation he dealt with with many of last years top players - Zion especially. The staff definitely wanted Scottie though. Not like this surprises anyone. I can't speak for Cal but I bet he would have considered it a steal to get him, obviously considering his ties to Florida. Most fans certainly looked at it this way.

13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    It speaks to his powerful art to persuade which is one good thing I'll say for him. It's impressive that he made Lewis ponder it for so long when we all figured he was a lock for years now. When I think of Cal I immediately think of this guy. He doesn't care if a kid is considered a lock, he's going out to buy whoever he pleases. "leads are weak? you're weak."

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    he is a cant miss recruit, you might want to rethink that saying. He is going to be a star on the next level. Now KY may be able to get kids to replace him, but they wont find the athlete he is with the skill level he has. He may not be ranked above the 2 recruits KY has now, but he is better then either. I think only Wiseman is really better then this kid

15. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

I don't know. He always could end up being the best or 2nd best player in the class but that is far from a given - we'll see. All I'm saying is that sometimes, for some programs, there comes a player that you just can't afford not to get. Every program has these, including UK. Scottie just wasn't one of those at this point. Doesn't mean he's any less good though.

16. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    my point is cant miss prospects are ones who you know are going to be pro...thats all.