Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dana Duckworth Steps Down & Ashley Priess-Johnston Hired

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by ETGator1, May 19, 2022.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Big surprise. Selfishly, wonder what it means for transfers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    too late for 23 unless was in portal by 5/1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    With their coach leaving I’m sure they could attempt to get a waiver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    The timing is so weird especially when you consider she had her contract renewed until 2025 after last season. They were 5th in 2021 and 7th in 2022, so why would they give her a renewal for 4 more years? Her recruiting has also gone great with the #1 ranked class coming in 2022 and the number #2 in 2023...she was at level 10 nationals just last week supposedly recruiting for Alabama. It's been over 2 years since the Tia Kiaku situation-which was well publicized-and the university was aware of the complaints before the public. Why would she focus on family now when her youngest kid is 16? There was a picture of her with a Bama recruit at DP nationals last weekend so it seems really sudden to me. I never expected her to step down, she loves Bama and she’s always so passionate about the program I thought she’d be around longer. If (Georgia coach) CKC had said she was stepping down to spend more time with family it would make sense. She's expecting her 4th child and UGA had its worst year since I can remember, and Georgia is still giving her 1 more year. Me thinks there's more to the story here...

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Here is an ongoing thread in Reddit's Gymnastics community on the Duckworth stepping down saga:

7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
  8. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Regarding Duckworth "stepping down"- allegedly a transfer was mishandled to make room for a 5th year or unexpected 5 star. A freshman athlete’s scholarship was pulled to make room for a signee or 5th year even after she was guaranteed 4 years at signing. Then something about the scholarship documents being unmatching or falsified.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Are athletic scholarships not still a year to year contract? I know they can 'agree' to multi years, but not usually the norm.

10. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Here is a link:
    In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance. This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.
    The “protection” provided by this rule only applies to athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent and scholarship agreement after the new rule was approved in January of this year (at the NCAA Convention), will be enrolling in a Division I university as a freshman or new transfer this Fall, AND who will be receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment.
    – The rule will NOT apply to athletes who are not receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment at their university. (Example: a volleyball player not receiving an athletic scholarship in their freshman year, but promised one in the following three years, will not receive the protection of this new rule.)
    – It is still possible for universities to cancel or choose to not renew a scholarship for reasons that are NOT related to athletic performance.
    Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlet
    Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
    • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
    • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
    • Voluntarily quits their team; or
    • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).
    Despite this rule, there will still be some Division I coaches who want to take away the scholarship of an athlete who is not performing as well as the coach anticipated during the recruiting process.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1