Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dan Mullen on Emory Jones

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bvgator789, Nov 13, 2019.

1. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    In the future it will be impossible to keep two serviceable quarterbacks on the same roster. The transfer portal and the ability to make money off your likeness will ensure this. The game has become more about the players and less about the team. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but that’s the world we will live in very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is going to hurt some feelings but that’s squarely in the staff.

I tend to agree EJ could have been used more vs Vandy. Don’t know why but Mullen must have had a higher purpose. I just hope going forward when EJ is in the plays look more suited for the next great QB than as if a specialty package for a RB that had once played QB in HS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that depends on how the staff handles the QBs. If both believe in the staff it should work. Best example I can think of is Justin Fields because it just seemed like he didn’t trust Kirby.. hope I’m right in that and more that Fields’ transferring leaves a huge hole at georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Here's the link to the GatorCountry article....

Emory Jones talks about his role in the Gators’ offense | GatorCountry.com

5. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Just speculation, but reading about Missouri's pass D, they are really good. They held UGA's qb to 44% completions, forcing many fgs. If UM had a better offense, the game would have been competitive. It's possible that DM realizes just how good UM's passing defense is and so used the vandy game as a warm up. Missouri has great lb's and so I doubt our running game will be a factor. To win means we have to be effective passing and so Trask was left in longer than most of us thought he would be.

• Like Like x 2
  6. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    The score at half time was 14-0. I don't think that here is any way that you can pull Trask at that point and not have an effect on his confidence. We then score on one play to make it 21-0. Greenard scores on the fumble recovery to make it 28-0. Trask scores again on two plays to make it 35-0. He drives the team down the field on 3 plays and EJ scores at the end. Trask was only in for 6 plays in the second half.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you look around the country, scores of players have done that via the transfer portal. We just lost an offensive lineman because he lost his starting job. He won't be the last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

OK, here's the issue. EJ is gifted with entirely different abilities than KT. The offense will have to gear up somewhat differently for EJ to be the starting qb. He is not going to flourish in the offense as is. Mullen is not going to change the status quo of the offense for a player, no matter how good he is, and risk making backward strides. This o line is struggling with the run game as is so to add another dimension would probably not be productive. He needs to develop later in games with the young talented 2s on the o line and get them used to his talents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I dont understand his disappointment for last game. Granted he only passed the ball 3 times but he had 3 rushing TD's. He accounted for nearly half of our 56 points. He needs to look no further than Tebow in '06. Leak ran the show till they needed tim to run it. Seldomly did tim pass it. Tim turned out to have a pretty good career.

It seems nowadays most of the prolific passers have 1 maybe 2 draft worthy years and then they are gone. A lot are transfers too who had to ride the bench. Mayfield, Murray's, hurts, Burrow fields etc. Jones just needs some patience he'll get his chance to shine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In talking about future QBs, people seem to forget that Franks could be back -- maybe for two seasons if he can get a medical redshirt. I think the job is Trask's to lose at this point, and Franks may very well transfer, but it's not a forgone conclusion that Jones would be #2 next year, either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    In theory Trask could get 2 more years as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It would leave AR starting as a rs freshman and taking another qb in del rio’s class and possibly a transfer in also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t know about that. EJ will probably stay. Hurts left Bama only after being a grad transfer and not sitting out. Not sure Fields would have moved had he not been able to get a waiver. I also think waivers will be harder to come by in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    He will do what's best for EJ.
    You may beg him via twitter or the like, offer some sort of bribe I guess but at the end of the day each of these players is now a free agent.
    Another Kyle Trask isn't that great, or these teams will catch up with him. Actually it's Mullen who game plans and he is a great adjuster in the middle of games.
    You people making these EJ or FF is a better choice are just talking to the wall.

I'll take Kyle Trask over all three of them at this juncture from what I've seen!!!!
    If EJ was better he'd start right now.

2020 will bear it's self out.

Enjoy 2019 people

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is why this topic is important. Not for 2019 as the other dumpster of a topic was about, but for the future. Florida is in a good position with QB depth right now for the first time in a LONG time.

But that all can change very very quickly depending on how this offseason pans out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I’m curious how you know he left because he lost his starting job and not because Mullen said it was a family situation.

If it was because you know he left because he lost his starting job, how does it help to tell that to others?

• Like Like x 1
  17. thom1507

thom1507 Freshman

Oct 13, 2019
    I think EJ has the tools to be really good, but I believe he needs this time as a backup to develop physically and his passing. Playing too early in the SEC can ruin quarterbacks for a long while.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Someone needs to show EJ the Kyler Murray story

Played in 8 games as a Fr at TxAM(transferred)
    Played in 7 games as a RSSO at OK
    *2017 Oklahoma Big 12 SO QB 7 18 21 85.7 359 17.1 20.0 3 0 276.5
    EJ already has more TD's than KM did his RSSO season

Started 14 games as a RSJR and won a Heisman/#1 pick in the draft

Sit back- get bigger, get smarter and kill it your RSJR then go pro

If he does it right he will have very little wear and tear on his body

19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    where is this info coming from?

20. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Interesting all of this smoke rising after my epic thread. LOL On a serious note, or course, EJ is the number one threat to transfer. All these rationalizations as to why it’d be a bad idea for him are almost pointless. When you have a talent like that who is stuck behind an upperclassman, it’s always a threat. What I have seen so far from the kid is electric.