Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dan Mullen on Emory Jones

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bvgator789, Nov 13, 2019.

1. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Dan Mullen talking to media on Emory Jones “Obviously disappointed with lack of playing time”.
    Emory also was interviewed and idk if it was just me but he just seemed like he was over not really playing much. Just the body language and his tone was like he was not sure of himself anymore. He did say he is trying to be patient but it’s hard and that Mullen keeps telling him to trust the process.

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I’d like to see more PT for Jones as well. Trust that Dan has a plan, but last week sure looked like the ideal time to have EJ play most of the second half. Perhaps EJ feels the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I hope that Emory realizes that he might be our best option in 2020 and to stick with it. With a year of scouting, teams might catch onto Trask's tendencies and thus his effectiveness may slip. I also think our offense has become way too one dimensional and on 3rd and shorts it's always nerve-wracking because we can't trust our run game to get a yard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Weird for it to come out after arguably his biggest game as a Gator (3 TDs from a guy who came in with 5).

If he transfers, he's not playing at all next year (assuming he doesn't drop down to a lower division). His options are transfer and guarantee zero playing time next year and compete for the starting role his RS Jr year, or compete with Trask (and probably Franks) next year while likely getting snaps as a backup and situational option, and then be the presumptive #1 option his RS Jr year. Unless he thinks he'll get beat out by younger guys, transferring only costs him playing time. And, as we've seen in recent years, our backups get a lot of playing time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Not anymore. It doesn't take a whole lot to get a waiver these days. And unfortunately, that could include a player throwing somebody like a coach under the bus ... like Steele did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    Why do most of you equate being frustrated with immediately transferring? Copeland last year. Jones this year. Every top quality kid thinks they should be playing right away. Every last one. Its humbling when you get to top 25 football program. Things don't happen over night. You go from being the top player in your entire county to a guy on the bench not contributing. Then the questions from these amateur reporters in football knowledge always seem to gravitate towards boxing a kid going pro or a kid transferring.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    It just seems to me and I could be wrong but we are living in the age of instant self gratification. What is meant by this as it relates to football is that more and more good players are reluctant to wait their turn especially QB's. I'm pretty sure Franks won't play second fiddle to Trask. Should Trask beat out EJ for the starting role I'm not confident that EJ will wait being next year is his third year. DM may tell EJ he will play a lot of snaps next year but if he wasn't put in with a huge lead against vandy, will EJ believe DM? I do think we have 3 quality QBs but only one's the starter and it's a concern.
    I like so many others were wondering why not play EJ at least for the entire 4th quarter for experience sake. If I were EJ and we had a huge lead and coach isn't putting me in I'd be frustrated. Should be interesting come next spring to say the least and I have full confidence the DM will figure this out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    If this is from Mullen's presser, I think there is some question as to who he was referring to. Most assumed it was EJ, but others pointed out we just had a kid quit the team because he was losing playing time (or family issues, depending on who you believe).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Links?

The article on GC makes it sound like Jones is comfortable in his current situation and is happy to wait and I haven't seen anything from Mullen saying that Jones is unhappy.

“I just want to focus on taking advantage of my opportunities because I know they are limited,” Jones said. “So when I get in there, I have to make something happen.”

“Coach Mullen he has worked with all different type of quarterbacks and different systems, and all of them seem to revolve around the quarterback. Right now it revolves around Kyle until I get into the game,” Jones said. “I mean, I feel like when I get that spot eventually, like it just be crazy like, we can do a lot of things.”

Emory Jones talks about his role in the Gators’ offense | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Are you sure this was about Jones? Or a general comment about players being disappointed with lack of playing time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    EJ's case will not be similar to other transfers. Next year will be his 3rd year on campus, and going into his 4th will be when he will likely be considered the incumbent.

That is a big ask for anyone who wants to play ball. Some have pointed to Trask doing the exact same, however Trask is an anomaly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018

13. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wish I could grow my hair like that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Hall of Fame

Feb 10, 2016
    If EJ leaves, UF will be in a hole at QB in 2021 because both Franks and Trask should be gone then. It would leave Richardson, presumably Del Rio and whoever else as UF's only QBs. UF needs 4 QBs on the roster every year.

16. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that is a misconstrued quote from the LakeCityReporter and then retweeted from Zach. If they are getting this from Mullen's Monday's presser he wasn't specifically talking about Emory when he said that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Agreed....
    Mullen was talking about a few players in general, not directly about Emory...

EJ stated that of course, he'd like more playing time.......but he also said that he trusts Mullen....

I'm sure that Mullen has explained to EJ that most redshirt freshmren QBs rarely, if ever, see the playing field at all..
    Emory's a smart kid....he's getting steadily better, ha knows that his time is coming....and he knows Mullen's reputation for developing and producing top quality NFL quarterbacks....I doubt that he's gonna walk away from that.

I also have the feeling that EJ realizes that irf ever decided to enter that friggin' reansfer portal, he'd have to sit out for a year.... where by staying here, he DOES get more playing time, and can actually compete for the startetr's role.......His door will open.

18. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Clearly Emory Jones trusts Mullen and his plan more than he trusts the Portal and it’s perceived opportunities. End of discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    All competitors want more playing time.

Be consistently better than the man in front of you and you will get it.

As the saying goes....

If you want to be the MAN, you have to beat the MAN.

Jones has yet to show that to Mullen to take the starting job.

• Like Like x 1
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I think most of this has been worrying for worrying sake, but the last part of his quote did give me some pause. "Like it just be crazy like, we can do a lot of things" sounds like he thinks he could be doing even better than Trask. Probably just self confidence and nothing to worry about at all, but I did raise an eyebrow for a second