Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dan Mullen - NFL?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Our UAA could stand to step it up. Bama and the puppies definitely get better support and their schools. If you aren’t all in, your chances are greatly diminished.

2. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Hmm, making a lateral move are we Dan?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ll repeat both again, I’m a fan of Mullen but there’s a near 0% chance an NFL team would role the dice and hire him as their head coach. He has literally no pro experience whatsoever. Someone can point to Meyer but he’s a proven commodity and won titles. That’s not a knock on Mullen as I strongly believe he can accomplish that at Florida but he has lot to prove before an NFL team would want to throw a ton of money at him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    If this is going to keep coming up every offseason, then just go already.

I can accept bad play calls, clock mismanagement, a bad outing every now then. It happens. But I expect you to be committed to your job. How can you expect your staff, players, recruits and fan base to be all in, when it’s apparent you are not?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator125

gator125 Senior

May 28, 2007
    Calling Hugh Freeze...

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  6. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Absolutely
    The bashing of CDM by some has been shameless. Like eating a steak and complaining the potato was overcooked

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh please. The guy makes $7M per year and lost 3 straight to end the season, with 2 of those 3 being rather epic failures.

Let's say he doesn't want to leave and is just posturing. Do the Mullen apologists want to back up the Brinks truck to keep him?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Terrible analogy. 4 losses - 2 in very ugly fashion - do not compare to a well-cooked steak.

9. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    Dan Mullen does this every year. Period. Tiresome, but we're going to have to get used to it.

10. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Okay
    Who you got available that would be an upgrade?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Coaching is like politics, everyone seems all in one way or the other. There are degrees to everything, improvements to be had by everyone. Except Grantham he is perfect, for somebody else. ;)

Go Gators

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
  13. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    They NEVER have an answer to this...or at least a logical one.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We need a coach that will say he is happy as the Gator HC and not going anywhere. Other teams use the Mullen to NFL rumors against us each year, especially when he does not deny it. Dan needs to learn to at least appear content to be the Gator coach when the media asks him these questions. That said, can’t believe Dan is at the top of the NFL coaching list with 3 losses to end the season. Think OSU’s Day, Urban, or even Iowa Stare’s Campbell are ahead of Mullen. Likely Oklahoma HC as well. Perhaps even Bob Stoops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    It’s social media culture. Everything is either GOAT or worst thing ever. You’re correct there are degrees to everything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen would be foolish to go to the NFL. If he could learn one thing from Spurrier, it would be that a college-level offensive mastermind does not necessarily translate to the NFL. If the NFL were interested in him based on what he did with Trask, then it would be as an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. The downside with Mullen is that he does not have the Vince Lombardi intensity and focus that is necessary to keep all the players focused on the goal. He's not as much of a player's coach as Ron Zook was, but he has a long way to go before he is on Nick Saban's level, much less Bill Belichick. Mullen has more loyalty to people than he does to the goal of winning championships. With some improvement, he could get there, of course. But no NFL team is going to wait for that to happen.

17. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Your first point seemed to be that we should not complain because that amounts to nitpicking. Are you now saying that it's fine to complain but a moot point since there are no other viable candidates? Just want to be sure I understand your position.

Also, complaining is not the same as wanting someone fired, so let's not conflate those two. I have already said in another thread that Mullen should get another year.

As for viable candidates, there are a couple that come to mind like Matt Campbell and Billy Napier. Again though, I am not in favor of pushing Mullen out the door right now. In another year, if Mullen's arrogance continues to hurt the team, at that point I'd consider making a move, at which time maybe another 1 or 2 candidates have emerged.

18. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I think it’s perfectly fine to complain as long as it’s kept in context of results. Everyone is disappointed at the way we finished the season but remember how far CDM has brought us in 3 short years. Winning the East and giving Bama the best game thus far is nothing to dismiss. Remember the beat down Bama gave us under Mac? I think Mullen has done enough to earn our patience beyond next season

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Promote Grantham!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I'm so sick of 2020...Oh....Wait!