Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and the Coaching Search

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Sep 13, 2021.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have a class and will finish with a nice push.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Maybe transfers. Sounds about where they should be though

3. Sulla

Sulla VIP Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Still weird to me that our AD is from my hometown. He's actually from next to Jackson.

Also, there is a really bad hot take here on Page 2.

I work with some State alumni, and that but about being dead to some people is not an exaggeration. He's persona non grata to a lot of people who were close friends over offering Mullen our job. Striklin is closer to Spurrier than anything else I can compare him to from UF's history. He went to school there, started his career there, and built the facilities, got their damn cowbells back, started The Junction (their version of The Grove which is actually pretty fun), started "Hail State!", and radically changed their entire athletics program. He didn't hire Mullen, but he fueled Mullen in a way that was unique to that school to that point in time. I don't think they ever end up No. 1 in 2014 without what he did there.

Everything that MSU built, down to actually believing they deserved more than just occasionally beating Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl, starts with him really, and he built all of that because he loved the place and still does. But his legacy at State is at least as tarnished as Urban's is with us, and maybe even less salvageable. We shall see.

And to a degree, I don't really care that much about what anyone at State thinks of him, but I reckon you can look at his hesitancy two ways. You can look his taking 28 days to hire the guy he wanted because he thought he might have a solution that would satisfy what everyone wanted as a momentary lapse of loyalty.

Or you could recognize that he knowingly threw a match on all that legacy at State - make no bones about it, he is far and away the best AD they've ever had - because his current job with Florida was more important to him than being forever a hero at his alma mater and a school he still dearly loves.

I believe the latter. At the end of the day, he hired his #1 and burned a lot of bridges to a place he loves in the process. I'm not going to fault the man for having some actual loyalty and integrity, especially when it's clear those loyalties aren't preventing him from doing what is right for UF. I think that he has loyalty and integrity ingrained in his character is overall a very good thing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Also, there is a really bad hot take here on Page 2.

Which one?

IMO Mullen was gone that year no matter what. If not UF then Tennessee or elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    I think so too. Mullen was leaving anyway

Killed two birds with one stone: Got our coach, and prevented a rival from getting theirs

• Like Like x 1
  6. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Loyalty is very hard to find nowadays. Just look at the thread regarding our QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

To some that is apparently unacceptable

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I kept wondering what "unacceptable" actually implied. That he should be told to never do it again? That there should be a reprimand in his personnel file? He should be fired? He should be ridden out of town on a rail? Drawn and quartered?

9. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right choice on all counts. Now we need a great recruiter on staff to nail down the great players in Florida. Seal the borders and the Gators (according to Bear Bryant) will dominate.

10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's a completely moronic post, as many have noted.