Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Damarjhe Lewis 2020 DT

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Nov 8, 2019.

1. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Think it was deleted

2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Regarding Tim Smith, I’d drive down and roll out the red carpet for him but UF has enough trouble keeping elite uncommitted talent from signing with Bama let alone verbally committed players. And that’s with Saban’s staff having constant turnover.

3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd rather have their other DT, Jayson Jones but either one will do

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Aren't they all?

Staff must be recruiting for Latitude 33 degrees.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You are really a cheery guy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    There are a heck of a lot of Well-schooled 3*s who are NFL stars at all positions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. nodakgator

nodakgator Freshman

Oct 14, 2019
    Antonneous Clayton - 5*
    Jarran Reed - 3*
    Stars aren't the most important thing sometimes.
    Stars look good on paper and for rankings, but scouting and development are crucial.

8. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Would you rather have all comments along the lines of "diamond in the rough", "under the radar" guy or call it as it is? A lot of posters raved about Randy Shannon's ability to bring in "under-valued" 3* kids from the Miami area and turn them into gems, but after he left, he was ridiculed for leaving the cupboard bare on defense. Wish I had a $ for every time I heard "would rather have a 3* Miami kid than a 4* kid from anywhere else". I could friggin retire.

Of course stars aren't everything, but they do paint a typically reliable portrait. Our OL is mostly 3* and uga's OL is mostly 4 and 5* (with one 5th year SR 3*). Guess which line is superior to the other. Does that say that uga's development or recruiting (or both) is superior to ours?

I'd agree that stars aren't the most important thing sometimes, but they are the most important thing most times. Can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I think the stars tend to paint an accurate picture of talent ceiling. Some fall short and some burst through, but the 4 and 5 stars are typically rated that way on athleticism and ceiling potential. Nowadays that matters because everyone has top notch facilities, training, nutrition, etc. and everyone can develop talent. Therefore the best defensive end is the one that is strong but has a 10 yard dash better than most backs. Can’t train, develop, or coach that kind of athleticism, it is god given.

Georgia has recruited guys with better top end talent, which is why they have won the last few years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Just think about stars like an unfair gambling strategy. So even counting cards or playing with a weighted dice, you can lose on any given hand. But over time the probability is in your favor.

Stars are the same way, at least up to a point. The top ~300 kids have all been extensively scouted and have a higher probability of success. There are coaches that do a little better than average at finding the diamond in the rough types. But I've never seen anybody who can do it often enough to be serious national title contenders, let alone consistent national title contenders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Over half the first round every year are 3*s. Being that there are far more 3s than 4s&5s, that’s not surprising. Those guys are undoubtedly the diamonds in the rough. A good talent evaluator should know when he sees the kid. Seeing them in person is the issue imo, it’s hard to personally see 1000 of these kids and see which are the ones with talent. The top 300 kids are on everyone’s radar and takes no scouting at all, just sign them up if they are willing. Schools that can get their share will obviously have the talent. Clemson’s route of top 15 classes to the top takes evaluation of a ton of kids to get a talented roster. We did have several 3s that went pro from the last decade. Trask was a 2 I believe and was offered on the spot after a workout if I’m correct. There’s just not enough hours in a day to see them all. Staffs go on some deskjocky’s evaluation which perhaps took his from another. Many kids have never really even been seen by a scout. Turns out, the nfl says there’s just as much talent past the top 300 as there is in it. Finding it definitely is not very easy though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. nodakgator

nodakgator Freshman

Oct 14, 2019
    I absolutely agree. I like where our offensive line is going with 4* guys coming in or already on campus.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [/QUOTE]
    It will take some time but UF will have a good OL again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    It’s all a percentages game. You hit on way more 5 stars than you do 4 stars and more 4 stars than 3 stars. If you get the top ranked players you increase your odds of getting the best college players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    [/QUOTE]
    How many is that between on campus and 2020 commitments? Seems to me that it should be at least 7 for starters and 2nd stringers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I’m not sure it was just top end talent that gave UGA the victory. They are very well coached. On offense, you could see them schematically creating matchups they wanted in the secondary, attacking Dean as an example. Another example was the extra offensive lineman to stop the rush, which worked well and confused us. On defense, they made us one dimensional by taking away the run and also took away Pitts. They forced our other WRs to beat them, which we were unable to do. The last drive by the Gators were statistic padding for Gators, but had no impact on the game. UGA gladly allowed UF to lead a time consuming 6 plus minute drive to score when we were down by two TDs. Dan needed to score in 3-4 minutes that drive to have any chance to get the ball back. Coaching was a big factor in UGAs win in Jacksonville. Look at the tape/film

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. nodakgator

nodakgator Freshman

Oct 14, 2019
    How many is that between on campus and 2020 commitments? Seems to me that it should be at least 7 for starters and 2nd stringers.[/QUOTE]
    If using 247 ranking system, then yes I believe 6-7 sounds about right.