Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dakich rips Grayson Allen

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 12, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    You’re saying the same thing over and over not understanding that I agree with you on Allen as a person. The only two things I don’t agree with and never will are 1. Announcers ripping into Allen past the point of it being professional. 2. I don’t think he meant to hit Williams.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Just about everybody has agreed with you on 1. People honestly disagree with you on 2. You have a right to your opinion as we have a right to ours.

But when you say others opinions are calling Allen "a criminal", are "based on hatred" or are somehow "triggered", then you drive the conversation from the rational to the personal - and you know nothing of all the people who simply have different opinions from you on 2 above.

It would be easy to say that you are an Allen apologist by the number of posts on here where you repeatedly defend him, but nobody has done that and it would be wrong for them to do it. You have every right to your view of number 2. It seems logical for you to exercise the same restraint and respect the right of others to their honestly held views without attributing motive to their views. People can honestly and respectfully disagree... though it seems harder in these times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may interject, it is just like a great pitcher who throws incredibly consistent, when you get it close you get the calls and when you are kind of wild you just don't. The refs can not just analyze hours upon hours about the "quality" of the calls, whether we want "real justice" or not. And so...you get a reputation.

Grayson has a reputation and it did NOT help him this time. If he does not like the outcomes, perhaps he needs to change the inputs. That is ALL up to him.

I would suggest you get away from the DVR and get more into "Human Nature 101". It is a fascinating read, even when the game is not so fair to us. But it is real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Allen is the definition of a dirty player. Dirty enough that I am happy to see commentators "unprofessionally" call him out.

Duke/K clearly enabled him. They're not ultimately responsible for his mentality at this point but they did more to encourage it than they did discourage. Didn't they give him an "indefinite" suspension that lasted 1 game?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Let me ask this.... is there a prerequisite to a dirty play that you hurt the player in the process? Because my definition must differ from most. I don't know how accurate the term is when you call both Bill Lambier and Grayson Allen dirty players. Allen has never hurt anyone as a result of his antics, so I fail to see the dirty player label. Annoying player with a short temper, yes. Bill Lambier should've never been a basketball player, he was out there to hurt players and there's no room in basketball for that. But I'd gladly take a "dirty foul" from Allen over some of the crap I've dealt with over time. I believe this is a clear case of people magnifying his issues in order to have that one overly annoying Duke player to talk about, it's a popular thing for basketball fans for some reason. Here are the plays that I can't stand, and until Allen does any of these I'm not subscribing to the feeling that he's a dirty player.

- elbowing during boxouts (my friend broke his ribs by a big guy who clearly didn't belong on a basketball court, I've endured several low blows)
    - grabbing an opponents arm down to prevent a basket (can cause permanent shoulder problems)
    - elbowing to secure rebounds (and this was actually universally accepted at one point in time that you should use your elbows to nail someone in the face if they're in your space, it's against the rules now if you make head contact at least)
    - knocking into someone while they're in the air (players do this all the time and it jeopardizes a player's health when you're throwing a body off balance 6 feet off the ground)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorbait33

Gatorbait33 Premium Member

Apr 1, 2012
    I realize I am late to the discussion, but that list seems a little limited. As far as real world examples go, what about when Raja Bell clotheslined Kobe as he was simply dribbling? I'm sure there are plenty of other examples on youtube.

7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Uh yes that would also be dirty lol. I didn't list literally every example.

8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

I was really glad that Bynum went nowhere but down after this.

9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Dakich was very unprofessional.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree with you 100%. Way dirtier players than Allen. People can’t stand Duke. Reminds me of the whole Laettner thing with the ridiculous hate. Only difference is Laettner was a much better college player.

11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    When I was a Senior at Providence (K-12 school) he was a third grader. He had the reputation of being a prick even back then. One of my senior electives was to volunteer in the office one class per day - he was always up at the office waiting to see the Principal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    So, because there exists worse, we can't dislike a, still dirty, Grayson Allen?

• Like Like x 1
  13. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    So people are going back 20-30 years to a different era of basketball to justify that Allen is not dirty? Alrighty then. There's a reason the league changed rules, fines, suspensions, etc. after that era. You don't see Allen's on-going behaviors from current players.

That's the equivalent of showing old Jack Tatum NFL highlights to show that Vontaze Burfict and James Harrison aren't really dirty players.

14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm sure most of us whom have played a little ball recognize the type - whinny, privileged, always calling fouls but never commits one.

I think the kid is his own worst enemy.

15. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Seriously? I totally want to believe this story.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    No one saying that. I dislike the guy's whiny behavior. I just think of him like I think of Draco Malfoy. All bark but no bite. I don't think he's a dirty player, he's just a brat who has been that way his whole life.

17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

We really going to tag the victim label on this guy? He earned every bit of his animosity and had nothing to do with his Jersey.

I will say for whatever reason he has a very puchable face which added fuel to the fire but his actions were the number 1 issue.

Good for them for showing restraint but I would find it hard as a teammate not to beat his ass after one of his many trips and leg whips. Would be worth it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    True story

19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Agree on disliking whiny player but disagree on "dirty" - just draw a different line. But major extra points for the Malfoy analogy!! (Although, ineptitude at being dirty makes you inept, not clean). Still, spot on.

20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    It looks to me like his behavior in college has continued in the professional leagues. Intentionally tripping someone or swinging with a closed fist would make him a dirty player in my book.

• Agree Agree x 1