Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dakich rips Grayson Allen

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 12, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to play ball with guys like Grayson. They were more skilled that us and yet they where assholes. F them. They are just jerks and did jerky things. I do not wish them any good will.

diamondted13 likes this.
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I said in this thread that he's got a childish temper but I guess that's not good enough. It says more about people that they hold that much anger over a player. He hasn't gone out and committed a crime yet we're busy demonizing the kid for years over a bunch of pretty petty stuff. That announcer talked about him like he's a criminal.

Like I also said I don't care about Allen at all but I don't understand what is so bushleague about what he did in this particular sequence. If you think he's trying to hit Williams I don't know what to tell you. We're seeing two different things obviously. I see a guy committing a hard foul. The delivery of his arm on both occasions is what made the two incidents look terrible live. And I initially thought they were completely dirty plays until I saw Williams hook his arm, and on the 2nd screen lean into Allen (which by rules is an offensive foul).

3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    "It's not like he shot the president, right." Look, you have every right to the opinion that he is a just "immature", but don't attack other people because they "attack him like he is a criminal". That is grossly overstating the case as nobody but you called him a criminal. I believe the kid is a hack that intentionally fouls in a manner that I (and some of us) find to be highly unsportsmanlike. I get fouling somebody going for a layup but repeated tripping and hammering from a player who doesn't mix it up underneath? I don't think he is "a criminal"- but I have every right to see him as a cheap, trashy player. There is no "anger" in my opinion despite your attribution to those of us critical of him, as I feel nothing toward the kid other than the above opinion, just like most would not accuse you of "loving" him just because you find his actions acceptable.

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    OK… But I do think the announcers were right as far as Allen’s playing style. He will commit a hard foul on a guy going to the basket, yet he himself never goes the basket. It is akin to the baseball pitcher who plunks a batter, but never goes to bat. I do think there was some merit in what the announcers were saying… Especially the part about playing like a tough guy if you want to be a tough guy. I think Allan is a park, to be honest. Do I hate hom personally? Of course not. But I think he is a punk of a basketball playe.

5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    My point has nothing to do with Allen as a person, I just didn't agree that those fouls got a player kicked out of the game. I don't care about Allen. I just don't agree with the ruling that he's ruled out of the game, nor do I agree with the announcer using the air time to rant about him as a person. Seems like it's the popular thing to do though.

6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    And I too do not care about allen as a person. I do however think he should have been kicked out of the game. Just don't understand why you state that others who disagree are basing their opinion on it being popular? Nobody disagreeing with you said you are just being a contrarian or trying to be popular - why would you disrespect a well reasoned, but different opinion, by saying it is based on other than honestly held views? Cant it be that folks honestly and respectfully see things differently?

7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Maybe he is a punk, I don't know. Depends on your definition. I think more serious infractions like the below make someone a punk. Malone could've seriously injured Thomas here, he's a punk in my book. I've seen Allen make stupid fouls, but I've never seen him seriously hurt anyone.

8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    We disagree about the severity of fouls then. That's end of discussion. Here's an example of a foul I have a huge problem with, and the announcers didn't even demonize Gerald Henderson, didn't even mention how terrible is was. In fact the announcer said he was "not looking for a cheap shot there". Ridiculous.

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I never thought about it that way, but you might be on to something.
    [​IMG]

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I think many will have made up their mind about Allen long ago and part of that mindset just may have something to do with him being a Dukie. They will not admit it and will argue tooth and nail, but bias influences perception.
    I, for example, am biased against Dikitch. In my opinion, he's a blowhard. I've heard him get away with saying things on radio that should have been left out. Was he out of line on this broadcast? I'm not certain, but my biased opinion leans toward him being too jerky to be validated.

11. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Awww! Poor Zeke! I believe that play is called karma. Maybe a better term is poetic justice. The driving force behind the Piston's thuggery getting a taste of his own medicine. Dirty play by Malone but I don't think it was a random play. He knew who he was nailing.

12. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I was so glad Duke offered him because he was just a prick in HS also and I didnt want him at UF at all. I got bashed for bashing a kid back in the day. But everytime I saw him it was that same type of crap. No one corrected him early and he has been doing this for years

13. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I have to politely disagree with you on both points, Allen had already had a dust up earlier during the game. When Williams first pick was set they locked arms, but Allen did a wild swing with a balled up fist. That is what got the 1st flagrant..2nd was he again had a closed fist, and he wound up to do it. Allen has been doing this since his teenage years, over and over again it has been a constant with him.

14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Williams intentionally locked arms during the screen, Allen got out of it wildly because he has a very short fuse. Yes it was excessive the way he followed through, give him the foul and move on. Play shouldn't have been reviewed. But both announcers seemed to enjoy ripping into him unnecessarily afterwards. And I disagree with anyone claiming he wanted to hit Williams. A guy that athletic isn't missing his target if he truly wanted to hit him. If you guys think this kind of play is dirty, you really haven't watched enough basketball. Comparing him to Bill Lambier is laughable.

15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    His peers are noticing and commenting that Allen deserves some payback for his actions. Hard to get rid of a poor reputation. The one thing you can control and earn as a human being

tegator80 likes this.
  16. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Wow you are watching with a Allen filter on your TV or something, this dude has been doing the same stuff over and over again since his AAU days. A guy that athletic would hit his target? Are you kidding me? He hit his target he got Williams on the head with a ball up fist that is why Williams went back at him. They went to the replay because he was involved in an incident already earlier in the game which the announcers pointed out clearly in the video. He is a prima donna period, Where did I compare him to Lambier? Lambier was actually a tough dude who tried to back up his image, Grayson not a tough dude at all. There is no comparison

tegator80 likes this.
  17. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I cant stand Dakkitch, but has nothing to do with my opinion on Allen, I have seen him play since his early HS days, he has never changed.

18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Whatever I say is going to trigger you. There’s no point in continuing back and forth. I’ve said over and over that Allen plays like a child with a temper tantrum. I just don’t feel obligated to join in with the undying hatred for the kid. This type of play happens everywhere yet because he does it I’m supposed to act super angry?

19. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Also, what’s with the opinion that if a guy is tough he can get away with it or it’s more justifiable? A dirty play is an equally dirty play no matter if it’s Steven Adams (could only think of him as nicest possible basketball player) or Lambier.

20. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    You could never type nor say anything to "TRIGGER" me, that would imply that I know who you are personally and I dont. People who I dont know cant get under my skin..matter fact I typed I would have to respectfully disagree with you on your events of what happened. So if anyone got "TRIGGERED" it was you, the way you defended Allen to everyone who had a differing opinion then yours on this thread. Again I dont like Dakkitch and that had nothing to do with MY opinion. Have you seen him play since his AAU days? He has this rep because of the little crappy shit he has done over the years. Again he had a dust up earlier in the game also and others already this summer. At some point yes the refs and the NBA is going to do something about it.