Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dabo just came out and said that his team is the best team ever...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Jan 12, 2019.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2013
    Myakka City, FL.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    I think our '08 team could beat them and no doubt '95 Huskers would beat the chit out of them.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Of course he thinks that, and, while I don't agree, he has a legitimate argument.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    IMHO-they are right there with Nebraska and us back then...pretty exceptional effort on the field. That was Bammer they were spanking. Both those teams were considerably better than the competition.

I would assume he's pretty proud about now. He isn't far off from that statement.

Their D line, their overall defense, receivers, that QB...pretty sick. Bammer had a bad night, but Clemson was leaps and bounds better.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    ^^^^for the record, I wrote this post before the above one was there. Called it. ;)

They are saying that because of all the amazing hyperbole being sold by the pundits at ESPN.

That comment is the most crazy notion ever I’ve heard by a coach (that’s not a comment you get to make about your own team as you’re a little biased). I’ve heard that same statement made soooo many times because of so many players and teams.

They said that about the UN 95 Huskers because nobody knew what an RPO QB was, let alone how to stop Frazier who had his way with us and everyone else. Today, that team probably doesn’t make the playoffs, when was the last time you heard of Frazier after that game?

It’s equally as possible, as it is goofy, that the team they beat was better then them.

Let us not forget the stats of the first 1/4 and a half (were all Gumps with no real lead which lead to a rare coaching breakdown of Saban who went full tilt which was obvious on that 4th down).

Best team of all time? It’s honestly not fair what these “pundits” do to these teams and players. Lawrence is no doubt a phenom but 1 season doesn’t make anyone a great which is what Dabo is saying.

For us normal people who like to actually analyze reality, it’s frustrating because I sound like a hater but in reality I think Lawrence is extraordinarily good, strong arm, throws well on the run, his weakness is throwing the short ball for some reason. Re-watch the game if you’re a loser like me and watch how many times he threw a bad ball on a lateral bubble or some type of play like that.

No stopping the train now. He would need to implode in order to not win the Heisman next year. ESPN is just like all the other news stations. I work in TV and I once interned at the ESPN headquarters in Connecticut and I can tell you, with assurance, they tell the crews who to hype up. They hide it in the form of reporting but in no way does the season that Lawrence had have more than he had an especially good frosh season and it will take him repeating that next year until I persobally am anywhere close to the upper colon that ESPN is with him.

They want to create a narrative which will get people to watch their channel more next year. They are kicking themselves that they didn’t follow him more closely through this year for the culmination of the closing finish against Bama.

Such a dumb thing to say as a coach and I respect Dabo, but if they are the best of all time, by the coach’s decree, they don’t even need to get better?

I don’t want to blame Clemson or Lawrence for the craziness coming from the SMSM but if Dabo said that, he’s an idiot.

EDIT: I’m adding this to the ESPN quote about Frazier in the 96 game and his prospects in the draft: (copy and pasted, read the quote at the end)

Frazier won the MVP award for his 34-18 victory in the East-West Shrine Game, nationally televised on ESPN on January 13, 1996.[30] West Coach Terry Donahue said there was no doubt that Frazier's performance had improved his standing in regards to the NFL draft. "I think he came here with all kinds of doubts...this game really helped him and somebody is going to invest in him. I am really high on him. When I did the Fiesta Bowl, I said the guy was the most dangerous player in college football and I mean it more now. This guy's dangerous. He's great. He will definitely be a great in the NFL. He will be one of the best ever. Mark my words." Frazier completed 11 of 20 passes for 163 yards.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Didn't Frazier have to retire due to blood clots?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought UCF was the best team ever..

• Funny Funny x 9
  8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    96 Gators would have crushed them too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    That's what I'm talking about! Everybody loves to bring up 08. I'll put 96 against them any day of the week.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    2001 Hurricanes

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Anyone can say a team is the best ever and a HBC’s opinion may or may not have any more validity. To say a team from one era would beat a team from another really is fantasy. A team from the ‘90’s wouldn’t match up physically from a size and strength standpoint. How do you compare an I-formation or wishbone offense with a spread team? New offensive concepts dominate until the defenses catch up - which they always do. Even the rules change. Most of the all-time Gator great hits would result in penalties or ejections today. Picking his team as Best Ever is his opinion but only UCF would give themselves a parade and trophy for doing so.

12. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    The pro SEC ESPiN pundits set this up. We have been hearing all season that 2018 Bama may be the best team ever. Well Dabo's 15-0 Tigers boat-raced that Bama team so why not. Its all opinion anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d love to se Danny Fred and our wrs go after that secondary

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not exactly smacking of humility. But they went undefeated, and beat the first and third ranked teams by a combined 55 points in their last two games, including beating what was considered one of the best teams ever for a good chunk of the season by four touchdowns.
    Lots of other teams have legit arguments, but all things being equal, every year teams are bigger stronger and faster (just look at OL size growth over the years for one example) . If it’s a tossup with other historical teams, I take the most recent one.

15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You cant do what you just did. You can only compare how good a player or a team was against the teams of their era. Was Babe Ruth as good as Mickey Mantle? Was Jim Brown as good as Gurley? Different nutrition, different training methods, different supplements. I watched that Fiasco in 1996 and people were calling the Gators one of the best teams ever. They beat our undefeated team by 38. I dont care if their QB passed for 138 yards, or 38, or 8 yards. They were awesome.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Different year same story. There is no best team ever but there is an echelon only some teams reach. I'm comfortable saying 96 Florida, 95 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, Clemson etc are all in that group. To think a series wouldnt be somewhat even is just fandhood rhetoric

17. MyakkaGator

Aug 13, 2013
    Myakka City, FL.
    our 08 defense would have given them fits! people forget the speed we had on that team... bama's defense couldn't keep up with their receivers. .. ours would have not only stayed with them, they would have locked them down...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

Aug 13, 2013
    Myakka City, FL.
    but not 08???

19. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    15-0 and they beat the highest power rated team in history according to some, by 4 TDs. Love the 08 squad but they did lose a game, so kind of takes them out of the discussion. 01 Miami and 95 Nebraska would have to be up there as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Yale went 16-0 and their 1894 team would have spanked Clemson.

:)

• Funny Funny x 1