Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

D-Line Recruiting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Just wanted to mention that when you look at what we hauled in last cycle, who has committed so far for 2021 and whom is on the board - WOW.

Looks like UF is really loading up and from my own personal observations I don't see ANYBODY outclassing us at the D - Line position should we land our current commits' and another couple off the board.

Talk about 5 star wonderland. I'm pretty excited, this is such a critical position in SEC
    play, just can't win championships at this level without some really high level D Line Play. Looks like the staff is definitely making it a priority.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Agreed. Loaded.
    My concern is more on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, I guess if they can’t score we don’t need a lot of offense. Stout D line and plenty of DBs is a pretty good situation.

But the potential is there for us to be still developing two seasons from now when the 2020 DL and DB haul need to be up to speed. The four and five star DL we bring in next class will be young regardless of talent. Most 5 star talents are not ready to go against seasoned SEC 4 star talent as true FR. But obviously at that point the future will look bright and our roster loaded.

• Like Like x 3
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Seems like many coaches place an emphasis on D or O but not often both when it comes to recruiting. Looking at his off field hires and the attention he's paid to recruiting it's another box checked why I like CDM. The manner in which he's building the program, you can tell hes thinking well into the future.

Honestly, I didnt think we would be doing this well this soon. Both on and off the field. This is a special time.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Agree.

CDM is playing chess, not checkers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I am so glad that the media has ignored the Gators the last couple of years. It gives the recruits the feeling that they are helping to establish a new Gator identity. A lot of good high school players want to be a part of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    In looking at the DL recruits from the last two years and combining them with this year' recruits, it appears UF is going heavy at one spot each year. In 2019 we signed 3 Bucks and one DT. Last year was heavy on DTs, with 1 Buck and 1 SDE and 2021 appears to be heavy at SDE so far. It looks like we might sign 2 or 3 SDEs and 2 or 3 DTs in our 2021 class. I wonder how many Bucks we'll sign this year to balance things out?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think it’s by design. More than likely they would have loved another quality big DL or two in 2019 but just didn’t have the success. I mean, I doubt they held off on DT in 2019 because they knew they could get 3-4 in 2020. All together it’s going to be a stacked and experienced DL in two seasons and I guess that’s all that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

For some reason...(Coach Mullen)...He's been stocking up on the defensive side...
    Which tends me to say that he has quite a bit of confidence in our offensive lineup, and will surely replenish it in the next two classes....perhaps utilizing the portal as well as he's already done.

11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Doing good on the OL too IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    I’m excited to see what the next 2-5 years brings on defense. While everyone focuses on offense, if you look at the elite CFB teams over the last 15 years almost everyone of them was loaded with NFL talent on their DL. Combine CDM’s ability to get the best out of QB’s & the way we’re recruiting big bodies on defense & I think we’re not far off from being a team in the NC discussion each year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I remember watching the rise of Clemson and what stood out early under Dabo was the amazing D linemen they got. It allowed them to vault in to the top 10 and stay there as other positions caught up. They benefited as much as anyone from our decade of deprivation.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I think it was definitely not by design. I just see UF loading up on a specific area of the DL in 2019 (Buck), 2020 (DT) and 2021 (DE) and wonder when it will get to something more like 2 DT, 1 DE and 1 Buck, give or take and extra recruit at one of those positions. I think UF should have at least 6 DTs, 3 SDEs and 3 or 4 Bucks on its' roster every year. The DL should also probably have some players who can play more than one DL position out of those 12 or 13 DLs.

15. WyoGator

WyoGator Senior

Apr 21, 2007
    Wyoming
    As they say...defense wins championships

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Who said?

17. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Bear Bryant said this. The full quote is “Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.”

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Those boys were fed more than steak and potatoes

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I guess my joke didn’t come off. My username ... oh never mind

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Hiring David Turner for the DL was a huge improvement on the recruiting trail and on the field. His predecessor was more flash than substance. CDM has fine tuned his staff and the hiring of Turner and Brewster will pay dividends as long as they’re Gators. It is comforting when you compare the talent and depth for the QB, LB, TE, OL, DT and DB position groups with those of 3 seasons ago. That and the changes Nick Savage is making in strength, conditioning and attitudes will have the ‘20 and beyond Gator squad competing with the elites.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1