Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

d 1 Baseball Reports

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Dec 6, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

Subscription needed to read more

2019 PBR Draft Board
    Mon December 3, 2018 PBR Staff

In six months, Rob Manfred, commissioner of Major League Baseball, will stand at a podium in Studio 42 of MLB Network and announce the beginning of the 2019 MLB Draft. The Baltimore Orioles will make the first pick a few minutes later, which at this point is most likely to be C Adley Rutschman (Oregon State). What happens next is anybody’s guess.

The first version of the 2019 PBR Draft Board—a ranking of the top draft-eligible prospects—is live with Oregon State’s backstop sitting at No. 1. This list isn’t meant to predict the order in which players will be drafted. Signability makes that much too cloudy. Rather, this is how the class stacks up based on looks by Prep Baseball Report’s staff covering the college, junior college and high school levels, as well as conferring with members of the major league scouting and college communities.

Rutschman is an excellent athlete, serving as a place kicker for the Oregon State football team as a freshman, and conjures memories of Matt Wieters as a switch-hitting catcher with power and pure hit tools. He is also a premium defender with loose hips, strong hands for receiving and a plus arm
    Prep Baseball Report > PBR PLUS

2019 Draft Board: Updated Top 50[​IMG]
    Prospects D1 Baseball Staff - December 5, 2018
    The intense preparation for the 2019 MLB draft has already begun.

Back in September, we gave fans a glimpse of things to come with our initial College Top 150 Prospects list. That list was headlined by Oregon State hard-hitting catcher Adley Rutschman and California’s Andrew Vaughn, while Baylor’s Shea Langeliers, Duke’s Graeme Stinson and Texas Tech’s Josh Jung rounded out the top five.

Fall workouts have come and gone, and with that, there are notable changes to be made in the ranking of the nation’s premier college prospects. There are no changes in our top five, while Kentucky’s Zack Thompson and TCU’s Nick Lodolo each had strong falls and continue to climb the rankings, jumping ahead of former first-round pick and righthander Carter Stewart, who’s likely headed to the juco ranks in the spring.

An updated College Top 200 Prospects list will be released with our 2019 College Season Preview Content next month, but first, we have a sneak peek with an updated Top 50.
    2019 Draft Board: Updated Top 50 | D1Baseball

Fall Report: Florida[​IMG]
    Fall Report Aaron Fitt - November 7, 2018
    LAKELAND, Fla. — Kevin O’Sullivan could only laugh. And who could blame him for feeling a little bit giddy after showing off all his shiny new toys on the mound last Sunday against South Florida in Lakeland?

Only Florida could lose two first-round picks on the mound (D1Baseball Player of the Year Brady Singer and Jackson Kowar) and a first-team All-America closer (Michael Byrne), but come back with a staff that might be even deeper the following year. It’s comical. In a pair of six-inning scrimmages against USF, the Gators used 11 pitchers. Ten of them touched 92 mph or better, including freshmen Nick Pogue, David Luethje, Christian Scott and Ben Specht.

Fall Report: Florida | D1Baseball

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with the view that our pitching staff will be deep.

So much depends on the off season improvement of Leftwich, Dyson, and Mace among others like McMullen.

I look for our bullpen, headed up by Butler, Ruth etal to be killer.

Frosh will be rising too.

We have a lot of people with hitting potential especially from this freshman class. A fascinating bunch it seems to me. It will be interesting to see how well they actually do.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I feel like we've heard the "Florida has X number of pitchers who can hit Y MPH" refrain every year, and yet we haven't really had a particularly deep bullpen since 2015. In 2016 it was basically Dunning and Anderson, in 2017 it was basically Byrne and last year it was Byrne and Butler.

4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My impression watching the one game and following some of the fall reports was: a lot of interchangeable parts. They all looked good, all looked the part, ....I have a tough time differentiating them.

Really could be a very deep pen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So does this mean our starters on average might only go 3-4-5 innings and we use relievers more than in the past?

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87–

I would hope not—the fall is the time of year for Sully to evaluate what he has for the next spring so he gets as many looks as he can—

I think the goal will always be 7 innings from his starters—

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I think the horses are there to get a complete staff in place by the time we hit SEC play, could be iffy when the northern teams hit Gvl but will be fun to see how the staff shapes up

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    John—

With Sully—you KNOW the horses are there—

And I agree completely—it will be fun to see how the staff shapes up—:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just need one of the guys to really step-up and become the Friday Night stud

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yes indeed—and based on last year’s playing time and experience gained I’m expecting our lead arm to be Mr. Leftwich—if that pans out I would expect to see Mr. Dyson on Saturdays and Mr. Mace on Sundays—

If Dyson is working free and easy we may see Leftwich and Dyson’s days flipped—but everything right now is pure speculation—

• Agree Agree x 2