Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Custom PCs / Gaming Rigs

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Apr 14, 2018.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    Looks amazing. I wanted to get back into DCS but picked up a new game recently called Zwift. Basically you pedal your bike around Europe and the hard part is you actually have to pedal your damn bike. I bought a trainer that Bluetooths to my computer and it increases the resistance when you go up hills and stuff. Will be good for the winter when I cant get outside to ride. Would rather be flying though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirGuard_Gator

AirGuard_Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    That sounds pretty cool actually. It would be neat to travel around Europe even virtually.

3. AirGuard_Gator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    After two hours of downloading I was finally able to fly a short mission. I took off at 8:15 local from Fernandina Municipal to Jax International. I have everything on beginner because I wanted to see how the AI worked and mostly it's cool. Flying in on final you get these rectangles that keep you lined up and mostly on the glide path. The AI controls your throttle, flaps etc. Unfotunately it landed me well short of the runway.
    I left all the data streaming on so I got live weather, air traffic, and a cleaner representation of the world around me. It was beautiful.
    I could leave well enough alone so I took off and flew IFR (I follow roads) to the yulee exit and flew west on SR200 at 200ft. Went over my brother-in-laws house and south to the Nassau River where I crashed in the marsh looking for my house at night. I found it but I'm afraid my Cessna 172 was a total loss. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    I watched a few videos where this dude was flying in all kinds of places with restricted airspace. Like he landed at Area 51 and flew low and slow over Chernobyl. If the terrain is that realistic then it's a great way to explore the world.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AirGuard_Gator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    It is amazing if you leave the data on.

6. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Have you ever listened to Airforceproud95 on YouTube? He's usually the ATC in multiplayer. Some of them are quite funny when he is trying to direct noobs around the airport.

I've never played a flight sim, but I just watched him for a minute or two on FS2020 and it looks awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. AirGuard_Gator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    Yes! He is hilarious!

9. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    I have not done much flightsim in the last several years. Last one was X-plane. What interested me though was learning to fly the big aircraft and all the systems they had. I think my favorite was a pretty complete sim of a 727 where it took like 20 minutes to prep and start the plane before you even started to taxi. The downside though was it was designed to fly with radio navigation aids as well as inertial but many of the VOR stations are gone now that everything is GPS. I still vaguely remember as a kid flying on those and feeling the bank as we passed each marker.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AirGuard_Gator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    I Love the big jets. I had a C17 on FSX that was a blast to fly. Will work my way up to the 747 as soon as I get the time.

Changing gears. I mentioned earlier that I was thinking about BF5 but I think I'm leaning towards post scriptum or hell let loose. Anyone looked at those?

11. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I've only seen gameplay on YouTube, both look pretty cool. I've been too into BFV to try anything else, though. A guy I work with invited me to a Discord channel that has a handful of BFV players that usually play daily, so you almost always have someone to play with. We had 4 of us in a squad last night and got best squad a couple of times in the 64 player games. It's a lot more fun when you have a squad that plays the objective, calls out enemy infantry and vehicle positions, and revive you when you're down. Teamwork makes the dream work. If you decide to go the BFV route, lemme know and I'll send you an invite. Just know that they have ended the live service for the game, so if you get it, that's what you get. No more updates, maps, etc. What I don't see in those two other games is the vehicle play that BFV has. There's something about playing a map that has 6 planes in the sky dog fighting, strafing, and bombing while folks on the ground get on the AA guns, have tank battles and infantry skirmishes. It can be chaotic at times, which I think for me is the best part.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    Post Scriptum is supposed to be like Squad, which is a hardcore FPS that requires team play. I have not tried it but a couple of guys I used to game with got in early and were upbeat about it, but have not heard anything in a while. BF5 is a casual FPS with a low learning curve and it's nice when you just want to log on and shoot people for a while. To me Squad was fun when I was playing with my gaming squad, who were all good players and it was frustrating when I logged in solo and got dumped with a bunch of randoms on a team. On the flip side BF5 isn't very deep, so you could get bored with it quickly. For example, there is no ballistics simulation (drop) afaik. So it really depends on the type of game you enjoy.

13. AirGuard_Gator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    Thanks for the input guys!

14. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    There is. But I never play the Scout class, so I never shoot long distance.

Video:

15. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    Hmmm...seem to remember some people complaining about the ballistic model as compared to PUBG. Thought they said there was no drop but may just have been less as compared to the other model. Recoil was another difference as I remember.

16. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Recoil is gun specific, of course, but you can mitigate it with the gun customization screen. Some have so much recoil that I can't even use them. I play with the full autos in the assault class, with the STG 44 being my go to. Nice and manageable, but with enough knock down power to reach out a bit further than some of the other autos. I'm starting to get where I can manage the m1907 SF recoil, which is a lil buzz saw. It also has a bayonet, and bayonet charges is one of my favorite things to do. If someone pops smoke and I know there are a lot of bad guys in the smoke, I just bayonet charge through the smoke. I get insta-killed after I bayonet someone, but it was totally worth it. That, or just throw dynamite in the middle of the smoke. Great, now I want to play BF and I don't get off work till 4 :(

17. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    Picked up Flight Simulator 2020. BHG stadium was done pretty well and it's got the writing on the side and everything, not just a generic sports stadium. Rest of the city looked ok, not amazing. The sim is kind of a buggy mess right now and you are limited to the stock MS aircraft. Will probably be a couple years before they work through the patches and the third parties get some decent alternative aircraft and stuff out there. Would love to be able to take my realistic Baron 58 from Xplane and fly it around VFR with the MSFS scenery.

18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Still liking it? Have you imported any of the fan made scenery? I saw a video the other day where folks had much more detailed landscapes that what was offered in the game.

20. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    It's pretty nice but has a way to go before it is amazing or whatever. The big draw is the ai generated terrain so you can fly VFR by landmarks. But there are a lot of bugs and stuff now and little third party content. It will get there but it will take a while. The flight planner is pretty nice but incomplete. ATC sucks but that's nothing new in flight Sims. The flight models for the aircraft aren't great either, but that's nitpicking for a casual flyer.

I have not started doing add ons yet. In my previous experience you can fill hard drives quickly with outside content. I will wait until some good quality releases of my favorite airports come out and some landmarks but probably won't add that much. The quality of BHG surprised me though because people were complaining that whole soccer stadiums were missing. I guess there is a Gator working on this at Microsoft.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1