Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Current Commits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Sep 22, 2022.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There have been questions as to how committed players will and are reacting to the play on the field. Based on what I've read and heard, it seems most are solid. The staff has been up front with the kids as far as talent level on the squad and they are seeing every week that CBN will play young guys if they are the best player for the job.

I also expect as the season progresses we will see even more freshmen and true freshmen on the field.

We are already seeing young OL such as Barber making an impact. The staff is feeling more confident in the OL depth.

Remember, there is a lot of games left to be played. Things will start clicking for some of these guys and I think UF will be a pretty darn good team by years end.

Candy

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 7
    • Like x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Really happy about the OL depth and performance. Shame the other units are not on par. Here's hoping OL success creates some recruiting success at the position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The LSU game will be pivotal with many of these kids, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with OL, outstanding, but it's still nothing to recruit against at the other positions considering our 1st year situation. Defensive scheme actually looks great, DL looks pretty good with the little depth it has. CBs always solid to great. RBs great. The rest can be explained with talent/depth/experience. Even pass playcalling, as everyone can see nothing's working with AR now so you can't really run what you'd like.

Still, historically it seems these 1st year games don't affect that class too much.
    Edit: Maybe overall positivity (specially from fans) that we've got the right staff affects the class more.

5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The team last year may be the team we are this year. We are fortunate to be 2-1. We should be 1-2 and perhaps 0-3 based on our play on the field. We could lose most of our SEC games. I realize we have played 3 top 20 teams with Utah, KY and TN. I think TN, UGA and South Carolina could be losses as well. Missouri and Vandy are the only games where we could be favored. All depends on which AR shows up to play each week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derm777

Derm777 Sophomore

Feb 9, 2008
    Ouch

7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    So far this year we are very much in the "growing pains" scenario. Two steps forward and one step back.

The first game, guys were hearing and trusting what they were taught in spring and fall, trusting themselves and their teammates. We saw a glimpse of what is coming.

Heads started spinning in game 2, facing better athletes in a well-oiled program. We need leaders to settle everyone down. A simplified game plan this week emphasizing smash mouth would help.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Barber, James, Moore, Wilson, the DT, Trevor, Scooby, all getting good PT, all either TRUE freshmen or Redshirt freshmen.
    That has to noticed by these young guys on visits to games. Would be a big deal to me

• Like Like x 1
  9. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola
    My GF of 2 years is an LSU fan (Grad) and the last 2 years have been painful. Taking her to her first college game ever this year.

It’s so important for recruiting, especially when it comes to LA. recruits, with this game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    if our OL was so good, why are we going for it on 4th down 6 times at UT? Because OL not opening holes.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thought some of the 4th down plays were poor. OL def did get manned up on yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Not much of an LSU fan if she got her degree there but never went to a game.

13. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola

My bad, it was her Masters.

And I did ask that same question. How does one attend LSU and NOT go to a game?

Where she got here degree from, wasn’t a football school. She was a busy mom during her Masters, and only recently started liking football.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I mean going for it on 4th and short or 4th and long speaks exactly to the trust of the OL because instead of punting it, 6 times CBN trusted them to either open the holes needed to rush or block long enough to give the QB time to work. 5 of those 6 times our OL did just their job. I believe 3 of those 4th down conversions led to TD's. And mostly all season they have kept AR up right not allowing many sacks. They have done very well at run blocking too , good enough to allow both of our new backs, Etienne and Johnson to have made a name for themselves among us fans so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm stoked about our OL play this season. But what I took away from the game is that our staff seems vanilla, at this point. I don't want or care about bold trick plays, but we do not seem to confuse defenses, just go straight at them. So in a way, it seems like the DCs we face will essentially tell their squads to, play your position because the Gators will come to them. I just don't know how to evaluate what we saw Saturday and think the huge pass game AR had was a bit misleading, not necessarily the coming of age we all wish for.

16. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I agree but also have to keep in mind that I highly doubt they’re utilizing the entire playbook, so far. I’m hoping it progresses as the players do.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    You do realize that we made 5 of 6 fourth down attempts. You think the OL was on the sidelines when that happened?

• Like Like x 2
  18. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Until we have multiple players who can stretch the field at WR the Tennessee game was about as good as this offense will get. UF is at least two or three years from being able to really stretch the field so we'll have to be patient with the offense.

19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I do agree that we need more "go where they aren"t", wheel routes and counter plays.

20. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    No but they were the reason we had to go for those 4th down plays most of the time.