Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Current Batting Averages

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ufgrad97, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ufgrad97

ufgrad97 Freshman

Apr 2, 2019
    These are current averages I have calculated up to this point. I used the game by game stats from floridagators.com. The vetran players have held there own since SEC play began, but the freshman, for the most part struggled. It looks like we will struggle this year with them playing, but hopefully it will pay off next year.

Name Overall Since 3/15 SEC
    #13 Brady McConnell .389 .390 .375
    #1 Jacob Young .346 .286 .233
    #27 Nelson Maldonado .339 .304 .250
    #6 Kendrick Calilao .328 .268 .239
    #4 Jud Fabian .253 .116 .135
    #22 Cory Acton .269 .298 .278
    #16 Wil Dalton .231 .229 .282
    #44 Austin Langworthy .240 .313 .270
    #12 Blake Reese .238 .214 .300
    #9 Brady Smith .216 .212 .192

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019

3. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    97 - what are the three different averages ?

4. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    First is overall average
    Second is average since SEC season began
    Third is against SEC teams only.

I will try to figure out formatting problem.

5. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    There is no easy way to format data on the board. Here is the data formatted into an image:
    Capture.JPG

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    Much better. Thank you.

7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This only tells a small part of the tale about why the Gators are not winning.

Looking at the box score you would think that Dyson had another bad outing this past weekend, but the Gators played very badly behind him. It was far from his fault. With only decent defensive support his pitch count would have been much lower and Ole Miss would not have put so many runs on the board. He still needs to not get out of shape when things go bad, though.

Sloppy play in the field is problem #1. We have had more miscues in the field than the official scorer has posted.

Bad at bats is problem #2. Pop-ups on first pitches with men on base? I'd rather see a line drive that results in a double play. At least the ball was barrelled up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yea, some hitting issues, but far more concerned with the pitching and defense. OF has been solid, infield, not so much. Hopefully leftwich is back this weekend. Freshmen have a lot of potential but I didn't see anybody ready for primetime on the road....yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great info. This shows why Acton got bumped up to 2nd in the lineup in the 3rd game this weekend. Also needs mentioning, many talk about McConnell's problems in the field but he is almost 100 points higher than any other regular.

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So if we batted the line up with the SEC averages for this weekend it would look like....
    SS - Brady McConnell .375
    2B - Blake Reese .300
    RF - Wil Dalton .282
    3B - Cory Acton .278
    LF - Austin Langworthy .270
    DH - Nelson Maldonado .250
    1B - Kendrick Calilao .239
    CF - Jacob Young .233
    or CF - Jud Fabian .135
    C - TBD but not BS

It would definitely shake things up. Although, I'd put Acton batting 3rd and Dalton batting 4th. It would be weird seeing 3 of our best overall hitters with Nellie, KC and Young down in the lower half of the order. Sully said he's not going to let the Gators keep playing the way they played last weekend. My guess we could see about anything this Thursday. Doubtful it would look like this but I'll be disappointed if we get no changes. BTW Armstrong is batting .438 in conference. Maybe he can catch??? (sarcasm) He's got as many in conference hits as Smith or Fabian.
    I'm interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on what we might try.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I thought there was a telling piece on the broadcast this weekend. They mentioned they had talked to Sully about the youth of the roster. They said that he replied to the effect that he realizes this is a young team and going to take their lumps but he never is going to allow them to think it is okay to lose. I think this is a very telling conversation to answer your questions on what he might try lineup wise. I think he will continue to hold guys accountable but for the most part he is going to continue to run the young guys out there. I think he is pushing them this year to be ready for the next couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    This is an interesting chart as it shows how consistent that Brady McConnell has been all year.

I would hope that Sully makes some moves going forward, as this is the first time in 4 years the Gators have not been ranked in the Top 25.

I like the proposed lineup changes from 87 (above) - as Action has also been consstant all year and being a switch hitter is valuable. In addition Sully needs to find a way to get Reece (captain) into the lineup.

Hopefully Sullly shakes it up enough to wake this team up, as they certainly have the talent.

13. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I keep seeing that we need to shake the lineup around, not just here but other threads. I just checked the box scores from Saturday. UF had 26 hits in the two games. UF hitters had a combined 5 walks. Miss had 32 combined hits. Miss hitters had a combined 11 walks. So in 2 games they had 12 more hits/walks than UF. That is not the errors just hits and walks. We have to get more guys out.

UF had 4 combined errors, Miss had 1. One guy had 50% of the errors Saturday and he is not coming out of the lineup. He was 4-8 on the day. They certainly have to play cleaner but when your leading hitting is making the errors it is hard to replace.

I used to be a HS hitting coach years ago. It is always easy to say "score more runs" as a remedy but truth is we need to give up less runs. This is a young team and they hit enough to win. Since when did 10 runs not win UF a game? Happened once in the last two seasons, 2017 UF lost to USF 15-10. They do have to learn how to get more timely hitting but we HAVE to give up less hits and walks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Some stats for you all:
    2018 vs 2019
    BAA: .234 vs .262
    WHIP: 1.22 vs 1.41
    K/BB: 2.92 vs 2.26
    K/9IP: 8.8 vs 7.7
    BB/9IP: 3.0 vs 3.4
    R: 281 vs 387 (projected at 70 games)
    ER: 238 vs 323 (projected at 70 games)

So while the walks are higher at almost 1/2 a walk a game, the biggest difference is BAA and SLG%.

To put that stat another way, 2018 vs 2019:
    TB/G: 11.4 vs 14
    HR/G: 0.78 vs 1
    H/G: 7.8 vs 9.1
    2B/G: 1.2 vs 1.8
    R/G: 4.0 vs 5.5

The 2019 team is giving up 1.5 additional runs per game compared to 2018. And the percentage of those that are earned is almost identical YoY.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lang-o-meter

Last 8 games: .400 BA, .667 SLG, .441 OBP, doubles to strikeout ratio is nearly 1.7

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. ufgrad97

ufgrad97 Freshman

Apr 2, 2019
    I agree we have to allow fewer runs, that is more on the pitching than the defense (Think a little of that may be because we lost Singer, Kowar, and Byrne?) I think maybe so.. It does seem a longer leash is given to the hitters than pitchers. I know you only have 1 pitcher and 9 hitters but we have hitters that struggled for long periods and keep playing.

This is the Florida Gators, not little league!! I keep hearing that they are only freshman. I am tired of it!! We do not tank a season to get guys ready for next year!! We are not providing on the job training here! If you need more practice, get it at practice, whether it as hitting or fielding. If guys are in a slump, give them a rest!! Especially the freshman. This season is already longer than they are used to playing. Let them take some time off, get focused then bring them back.

By the way, after this weekend, we allowing about 3.5 runs a game in SEC play and are scoring less by over 2 runs a game. Again, not surprising with the pitching we lost.

17. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good stuff Fabes, thanks for your input. I certainly agree our biggest problems are first on the mound, second behind the plate, and third the lack of put outs in the field. I say put outs due the friendly scorers not making us look so bad. Most of the hitting concerns go back to game 1 and 2 and from the Vandy series. It all goes together.
    I guess I'm hoping for changes more in how we are playing and sometimes that goes to the line ups as well. The SEC batting averages show who is slumping and that can also be looked at in the field. Young's overall BA looks great but in SEC play not so good and he's looked out of place at second at times when the pressure is on. Wes makes a great comment about Langworthy. He's starting to hit like we saw last year. So bump him up even though his overall BA is still low. I guess the key is who plays where when the game is on the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Good stuff 87 - as I agree that the pitching is the number 1 concern and needs to be cleaned up - luckily pitching is Sullys speciality, so I believe Sully will fix our pitching issues. I also agree it’s nice to see Langworthy starting to hit his mid season stride. As for Jacob Young, I believe he was recruited as an outfielder and is possibly the fastest kid on the team (as I saw him beat out the infield hit this past weekend). I would like to see JY move to the outfield (which he should be more comfortable with - as I saw him make a game winning play in the outfield against MSU earlier this year) and that move would hopefully get Reece (senior captain- switch hitter) back in the lineup at second base.

It will be interesting to see what changes Sully makes - Go Gators!

19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Who you gonna take out of the outfield though?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Platoon Jud and Lang vs splits .