Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cunnungham/Nembhard/Glover

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, Jun 22, 2020.

1. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Unless his free throwing shooting improves I don't want him in the game late.

2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Relatively small number of attempts. Believe it was higher in previous seasons. I read that previously on Gator Country so it must be true. :D

3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This has been beaten to death. Glover made 151 out of 177 free throws in his senior year in high school. As an aside, he also made 180 out of 279 2-point fg attempts and 90 out of 203 3-point fg attempts. And he did it on a real good team against real good competition. But, of course, he stinks.

4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    FT % can be misleading if someone doesn't get enough reps. Tough to shoot a high % only attempting 1-2 per game. More attempts equals rhythm usually equals higher %. Usually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. missourigator

Apr 13, 2007
    Dear Tampa Jack,
    Boy, you sure jump to conclusions. I never said he stinks. All I said was last year I think his free throw shooting was under 60% maybe a little higher. Don't let facts get in your way. What he did in high school means nothing now. Until, his free throw shooting % goes up, late in a game he needs to be on the bench.

6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    My saying that Glover stinks is simply a reaction to all of the many posters who have criticized him. What he did in high school from the free throw line means plenty. It’s the same line in college. Glover took on average one free throw per game last season. He took 177 free throws in his senior year in high school and made 85% of them. Which do you think is a more reliable indicator of his free throw shooting ability. FYI, Chiozza shot 47.7% from the free throw line in his freshman year and 80% thereafter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    How many minutes per game did Glover average last year? 3-4? My point is the sample size is ridiculously small to make of form any eval on Glover. I will say I think Glover has a lot of upside. He’s a guy, as he develops, that will create openings and easy shots for his teammates. His ability to get himself looks will cause him to be respected by the defense. Inexperienced or not Glover can push the ball. Imagine athletes like Scottie and KJ on the break and they could have done with opportunities.

8. missourigator

Apr 13, 2007
    My only complaint against him was his free throwing shooting. If the free throw line is exactly the same distance in high school and college that why did he shoot so poorly in college. If you are a good free throw shooter, you should be able to make them whether you took 1000 shots or 50. The reason he had so few shots is he wasn't in the game late. Why? I bet White would say he didn't trust his free throw shooting. But if he gets better than you can remind me of this. I hope for our team I am wrong.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. GatorsGators

GatorsGators All American

Apr 14, 2012
    Uh, Glover played 12 minutes/game last season. He played plenty.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Correct. However, he only played 3 minutes per game at the point. The rest of the time he was basically buried on the baseline in a spot that he was unfamiliar with. Is that an excuse for poor free throw shooting? No, but he only averaged 1 free throw per game. As someone who has had the experience of playing a lot of minutes in some games and playing very little in other games, I can tell you that you feel a lot different in the 2 different situations. When I rode the bench, I felt like my brain was in a fog when I went into the game. Of course, everyone reacts differently in these situations. I have a lot of confidence that Glover will do very well in all phases of the game if he gets plenty of playing time at the point either at Florida or elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    As our Pg. of those minutes your talking about, he was playing the 2 most of them and not the point.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Should be fine with more time. Not easy to shoot from anywhere if no rhythm due to inconsistent minutes. 12 minutes one game and 4 the next. Not easy to walk in and immediately hit free throws at any age, let alone 18

13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    White chose to play Nembhard 33.2 minutes per game, all at the point. That to me was nuts considering that he had 4 talented guards on the team. Mann and Glover split the remaining 6 or 7 point guard minutes. That did not further the development of those 2 freshmen. I would have given Glover 15 minutes per game, all at the point, and Mann 15 minutes per game, all at the 2. We will see what happens this season, but, ideally, I would like to see Glover and Appleby split the point guard minutes right down the middle. Then, if one of those guys emerges as materially better than the other one, he can get the majority of the minutes. Mann and Locke can go the same route at the 2. Let’s hope there’s a season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. GatorsGators

GatorsGators All American

Apr 14, 2012
    Did we dissect every minute that Erving Walker, Wilbekin, or Chiozza played as freshmen? Did we dissect their minutes based on whether they were playing on or off the ball then?

No, because those guys found ways to contribute despite playing off-the-ball, and those guys didn't look like they didn't know what they were doing on the court most of the time despite playing off-the-ball. They demonstrated what you're looking for out of a future PG -- basketball IQ.

Perhaps consider that White didn't want Glover playing too much as the primary point because he wasn't ready for it. He certainly didn't look ready to lead an offense whenever he was asked to do so. His overall bball IQ was, to put it lightly, disappointing. I know tampaj has watched him a lot in high school and believes in his bball IQ, but if you're going to get excited last season based on him flashing upside, you also need to realize that his weaknesses are probably going to keep him from being a lead PG as an underclassman.

And that's not an insult of his long-term potential. I think Appleby, if a season is played, will be an All-SEC type right away.

15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I expect Glover to be an All-League player. I don’t expect it to be at Florida.

16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Will you leave when he does?

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I will definitely root for him wherever he goes. I hope that Mann improves the team, and I hope that White does a good job, but you have to be naive to think that Mann’s return automatically will make the team better. I saw nothing this past season to convince me that Mann will excel at the point this coming season. It makes more sense to me that he and Locke would share the 2-guard spot with Appleby and Glover sharing the point. However, Mann’s return makes it less likely that we will see much of Lewis, KJ and Duruji on the floor together along with a point guard and a center, and that might be our best lineup.

18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Donovan didn’t bury his 2-guard on the baseline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Here’s what I know:

In two years with Nembhard at the helm, Florida played at the 344th and 326th fastest adjusted tempos, according to KenPom. Two years earlier, Florida ranked 117th in adjusted tempo.

Mann, Glover, Appleby=A move out of the 300’s to the low 100’s. Can you imagine 326 and 344?? And I watched every game I could. Can’t wait to see a faster (anything is faster) pace and pushing up the court with athletes like KJ, Scottie, and Tre. Pace and an overall exciting offense what happen with guys like Glover getting to play his game.

20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Is Cunnungham close to Bummunham ?

• Funny Funny x 1