Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Criminal defense attorney needed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by homer, Sep 15, 2018 at 8:59 AM.

1. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    For my daughter.

She lives in Richmond Hill which is 20 minutes south west of Savannah.

My wife and I live in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida.

She’s a single mom without a job. She has a very bad back that was just operated on, but still not well enough to go back to work.

Me and my wife are supporting her and our granddaughter 100%.

I need to hire her an attorney.

I’m hoping someone knows one that will not charge us an arm and a leg. However the cost, I’m willing to pay what it takes to get her decent representation.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Your grand daughter should stay with you. I dont know any details and perhaps I am reading to much between the lines but a safe place and stability is important for a child

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    My granddaughter is fine. I wouldn’t let her be anywhere that’s not safe. My daughter is a very good mother who made a mistake and will have to deal with the consequences. She’s never been arrested before and doesn’t even have a traffic ticket on her record.

I live on Florida and don’t know anyone in the Savannah area. I’m trying not to hire an attorney cold turkey.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    DUI?

5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I hope it works out OK for you and your family. If I think of anything I'll pass it along.

• Like Like x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I wish.

Felony

7. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Thanks

8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
  9. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sorry to hear your daughter has run into problems. Hopefully as a one off she'll be able to get this behind her soon enough.

I don't know any lawyers in Savannah, but I know of one down the road in Waycross GA. The managing partner is a Gator. She's good beans, wicked smart, and trustworthy. I don't know how much they charge, however. Anyway, as you know, she should get a private attorney even if this is her first charge.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 2:57 PM
  10. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    I apologize for my drawing the wrong conclusion. It was not my desire to insult your daughter. There are several triggers in your post that made me think your daughter had a drug problem.

11. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    This gator in GA might be abke to refer her to someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes, a private attorney practicing in that jurisdiction, one who is respected, knows the ADA, judge et al. and who therefore may be more likely to have charges downgraded or otherwise work a advantageous deal for your daughter will be worth it. A good PD might get this done but in general they are overwhelmed and will not be able to devote the time to your daughter's case a private lawyer will. My $.02

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would never recommend that. They’re underpaid, overworked so they have less time to work up cases so expediency often becomes an unstated but prioritized concern, and on the whole they’re less talented though you can find the occasional talented experienced PDs.

14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Depends on the charge. Direct message me if you’d like. I might have a rec if it’s a non violent crime.

15. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    Don't mean to insult or demean your daughter, but if you are positive that this is a one time mistake then do your homework and hire the best that you can afford. I wouldn't consider taking a chance with a PD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    She did at one time.

That was over two years ago. Her bad back and having to take some serious pain pills caused her to become dependent.

Her arrest is drug related from about three years ago.

She’s been tested regularly since she’s had to go to pain doctors. They are pretty strict. The good is she’s taking a lot less since her back surgery 6 months ago and does everything a mom should do. Only issue is she has to sit down a lot to relieve the pressure.

My wife and I just spent 2 months with her. There are also local inlaws who are nearby and very involved.

Fingers crossed she heals enough to get off completely.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

Good luck to you and your family, that is a tough thing to go through. Pain is pain and it sucks, there is no easy way out. I can relate to it as I have gout, which is by far the most painful thing I have ever experienced including surgeries and broken bones. Fortunately, I was able to get in front of it through diet changes and occasionally anti-inflammatories, but other types of pain are not so "easily" solved. It certainly was not "easy". Hope you get as good of a solution as you can.

18. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I’ve had gout also.

I had an interesting occurance about two years ago. I had a gout attack and tried to pass a kidney stone at the same time. I’m hard headed so I tried to ride it out at home. I eventually gave in and called my primary doctor. She prescribed a pain killer that stopped up my digestive system. When that happened I got a very bad stomach ache. I almost passed out a few times from the gout, stone, and stomach pain. I wanted to die.

I eventually called everybody.

My urologist got me right in to X-ray. When he saw what I had, He had to go up and push the stone back into my kidney because it was too large to pass. It eventually broke apart from lithotripsy.

I take allopurinol every day now and haven’t had any gout attacks. No stones either.

19. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    All I got to say about that is

[​IMG]

I can't imagine how much that must have sucked. Each one on its own is bad enough, but all 3 of those at once???

I don't take the allopurinol, but do have a nice supply of indomethacin (anti-inflammatory) just in case I'm going to be having shrimp and/or a lot of sodium. The stuff knocks the gout out before it even kicks in.