Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Creighton wants to join the big boys of basketball (FBI Investigation)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Oct 4, 2018.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Surprised there isn't a thread on this since the first trial has started and a lot of juicy morsels are coming out. Creighton coming in strong with a 100k offer for recruit Brian Bowen. His dad testified today.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Just shows how much value these kids have that a player is worth that much (risk included) to a school like Creighton.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Please let UF be squeaky clean after Norm Sloan.

I always wondered how close to the line BD went early on.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Always an assistant coach making the offers. Gives the head guy distance and deniability if the crap hits the fan: "This was an isolated incident involving a rogue coach on my staff, I was as shocked as any of you were to learn this was going on."

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I always thought hiring a family member to a job was the best way to sway a player. This plain talk of cash is just silly and damning.

7. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Coach K is the master of the "job for Mom" strategy

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    There are so very many ways to do this without even violating NCAA regulations, like Offering a 125 K job to a kid's mom who's always worked as a dishwasher, or like Alabama's magic new Buicks. The number of top athletes suddenly driving new cars when they arrive on campus is simply astounding.

Now, I'm fully in favor of Stipends, because Intercollegiate Athletes are literally SLAVES. The Scholarship and non-Scholarship Athletes I've had as students work like 10-12 hours per day 11 months per year. They should receive some compensation from the School for all the Prestige and Notoriety they bring the school. If they get say $25 k in stipends each year, this works out to perhaps something around minimum wage, which you might think would be a minimum giving the danger they are constantly putting they bodies in.

• Like Like x 2