Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Credit where due

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by WindoverG8tr, Oct 10, 2021.

1. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's exactly what TG is good for, against average QBs. He makes good QBs looks like elite QBs, and make average to below-average QBs look like bad QBs.

Since there are much fewer good QBs than average to below-average QBs, his overall stats are pretty good. If your goal is to win about 9 games a year, he's your perfect DC. If you want to win a title in SEC, you need to look elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I was about to say this ^

3. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    It's refreshing and exciting to see our defense starting to gel, particularly in the defensive backfield. I hope the defense makes a statement this weekend in Death Valley.

I watch a lot of college ball. Don't know much about it but I sure like it.

I'm a couple of weeks early on this observational tidbit, but...the Georgia defense this year is really outstanding. I mean when plays happen those guys are a step ahead of most offenses.

Georgia will always be a hated rival. Just how it is. If you're a Dawg you sure as hell hate the Gators. If you're a Gator you were born hating the Dawgs. Be that as it may, I can't help but notice a level of proficiency on their defense. They're swarmers and good at it. If we can up our defensive game (it's beginning) and get some breaks on offense we'll be in that game, no doubt. The kids will want it on both sides and we stand between them and what they want to achieve this year.

Our boys might be picking one or two of those deep passes. I expect it to be a smash mouth affair. Who knows what will happen? But this year has shown us no one team is safe from defeat...

They've always had the talent. Will they finally put it all together? Prolly should ask the kids in the Gator locker room!

On any given Saturday...:eek::cool:

Go Gators.:p;)

4. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    To play with UGA we’re going to have to be willing to throw it deep. All those screen passes will not work unless we open up the offense. It’s going to be hard to line up and run the ball with the monsters they have on the defensive line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, althugh nobody knows what will really happen, the odds is not only we lose the game, the the game is not going to be close. The matchup is terrible for us. If we can't run on KY, why does anybody think we can run on GA? If we can't run, we're dead with EJ as QB. It's as simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You mean the 170 or so we didn't run for against ky?

7. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Not for this offense, as indicated by the score board. To win comfortably aginst any semi-decent teams, this offense needs a minimum of 200+ yds rushing, unless suddenly and magically EJ can thorw like a real QB. It could happen, as we all saw what Calzada did, but it's a long shot.

8. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    You have a point about the yards. But looking at the UK game it became a worthless stat. Could UK have been content to let us have 4ypc when we needed 15-20 yards for a first down?

9. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Using stats carelessly is a very bad habit. Stat can lie, depends on how do you use it, tape won't. So watch the tape if you can. The same goes for TG's D.

10. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think I read that efficiency rankings factor in garbage time.

11. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    UPDATE ....Where credit is not due Especially with the ugly mutts coming up

Gator D Total defense #39
    Rush defense 61
    Third down D 59
    Scoring D 38
    Red Zone D 39

12. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Ouch bump. My how the sentiments have changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. WindoverG8tr

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been so critical of the defense for so long I thought it only fair for me to compliment them when they improved. Believe me I did not think it would last. I am always hopeful, but I am also realistic.
    Again I think we have some talent there

• Like Like x 1
  14. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Although I saw some improvement, I never agreed we had a good defense. I always insisted that , as long as TG's here, we won't have a good defense. Now the proof is beyond any doubt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WindoverG8tr

Apr 8, 2007
    No argument from me on TG

16. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

17. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Good for you to give some props to the players and they deserve it but they will never be great under a TG system. I applaud them for putting on the gear and going out knowing they'll be put in horrible positions to make stops.