Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Credit to Mullen for Embracing the Pass

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MadduxFanII, Oct 19, 2019.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We still need more success running the ball.

Why not use a Fullback more?

2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007

I am sure having Spurrier around has something to do with it.

Would love to see Emory and Henry against F$U and watch Taggart's head spin

3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It would be going in the wrong direction. Another back in the backfield means one less person along the line and potentially going down the field for a pass. You are pretty much saying "we are going to run the ball" and the defense plays up to the line even more. We are not that good blocking the ones who are already there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't know if we have a fullback on the roster, but instead of 4 or 5 receivers, why not line up two running backs in the same backfield on occasion?

5. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our WR vs their DBs are generally a better match than our second RB against a LB/safety in the passing game.

No reason to swap a better match-up for a less advantageous one. If we had a really dynamic RB in space you might see it sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As the OC he rode Chris Leak to a NC. Coach Mullen says over and over to the media types there is no prototype Mullen QB. Maybe they will get it one day.

7. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    And Trask is a pocket passer......helps recruiting too.

8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Also credit Mullen for not giving up completely on the run... It led to Perine's 90 yard run and Pierce's 75 yard run in games against Auburn (sweet revenge for Perine), and USCe... Well timed runs have given us big plays in the context of a passing offense... We are making due with what we have available to us... Which is not much since Chump depleted our O-line (and D-line for that matter) and McElchump tried to fill it with diamond in the rough types that may or may not pan out. So, we have no talented depth after our starters on D-line and our talent is too young on the O-line to be of any use this year.

9. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I agree and am glad we're letting Trask air it out, especially while our Oline struggles run blocking. My only peeve is all the play action or possibly they are rpo's or both? I'd like to see the back just pass block and leak if possible on our pass plays, I haven't seen enough safeties bite on our rpo's or play actions to make it worth losing a blocker or having Trask lose half of a second of reading progressions.

10. LAGatorDoc

Jul 29, 2012
    I believe those are RPOs that KT takes into his own hands and goes for the pass.
    One of the sacks on third down happened a drive or two before before the big Pierce run. On that play, they faked the hand off to Pierce, their big DT was double teamed, and the DE was rushing the passer and was not gap sound at all. If he handed it off to Pierce, he had daylight to the secondary, and at least a 10-12 yard run. Instead, the DE ran around Delance, and they got a sack and forced a punt.

The coaches will definitely show that play to KT as that was definitely one that he did not read the DE well.

11. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I agree and that is probably the specific play I'm remembering where it almost cost big time, I also think against UGA who will most likely have better rushers than we have blockers it would be nice to not leave Delance and Forsythe on islands. Seems like those RPOs take an extra half second when Trask keeps it and he's not exactly feeling the pressure when it's near yet and in 2 weeks it may get there faster than it has all season. I think the bye week will help though and I feel good about our coaches vs their coaches in terms of gameplan and adjustments. I think it's a 50/50 but am really hoping Mullen can get us a win with his brain.

12. LAGatorDoc

Jul 29, 2012
    Its weird that we do not do draw plays or the ole Hernandez shovel pass with Pitts. It may be that our O-line is not good enough to hold for long enough and they would be sacking Trask, but those plays would slow down the defensive line for sure... If we could execute them with our current line.

13. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Hopefully saving it. Maybe doesn't trust Trask enough or maybe he hadn't practiced it much? I'd like to see that and more quick screens when we have soft coverage or a numbers advantage as well. That would open up some interior holes for Perine, Pierce and Davis eventually as well. I like to hope they're saving it.. but why? It always has and always will be a game of space, timing and mismatches so find yours and find away to make it work. There will always be an adjustment and an adjustment to an adjustment and so on to infinity, that's what makes it fun in my opinion. So put your cards out there and stay a step ahead of what their adjustment would be, whatever it is will leave a different space to exploit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

From the beginning of the season, our O-line, who were publically touted as "young and inexperienced " and highly suspect, struggled with the run blocking...BUT, did well in the pass blocking...

They're slowly getting better on the run, but are protecting Trask very well..

The sign of a great Head Coach is in his ability to adapt, and take whatever they may have to work with, and thoroughly capitalize on it.

Mullen has done that in every facet of the game.. Running game not going as well as it should?... no problem....just rely on your recievers and your quarterback....
    Oh!.. Did I say quarterback? Starting QB goes down for the season??... no problem.. just take your backup, who hasn't started a game since junior varsity high school, and have him pass for 3 TDs a game, 300 yards in 3 games in a row, (2 of them against top 10 teams, back-to-back) , and continue to take your team to a 7-1 record , and9 a National ranking of#7 / #8 .....and...., by the way, have another starting QB handy too..
    Is your opponent playing too close to you during a game8??... no problem...have a little talk with your coaches and players in the locker room at halftime...make your adjustments, and just chalk up another one in the "W" column...

Those are all signs of a great Coach..and, lest we forget ...
    Look at what Mullen has done since he was hired...He took a team that was so totally screwed up ..a 4-7 record, and a horrible mindset, if any at all, and immediately returned the Gators to National prominence... he's bringing back the real "Swamp" ...and I can't wait to see what his leadership will do over the coming years, as the Gators hoist that National Championship trophy again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    We have seen Keon Zipperer play Fullback on Goal Line plays. But we dont have a True Full Back on the team.

Only if we had a Billy Latsko.