Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cracker Barrel refuses church group

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jun 19, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, as always, it's impossible to figure out if they really don't have a clue what the First Amendment is and says, or if they just like to get a rise out of people who do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    I don't need to go back and read them again, I know what they say. I don't accept the premise that if you support marriage and family you're automatically "anti-gay". Again, read Barack Obama's quote. Was he 'anti-gay'? Like many politicians, he 'focus-grouped' the issue and became 'woke'. But was he anti-gay before he 'grew'?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    which is very ironic..

4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Please show us where Chic Fil A does not serve people due to their sexual desires.

No doubt Cathy supports Christian principles. Hence why my assumption about your intentions look more and more to not be assumptions but reality. Instead of showing people who hold different principles than Chic Fil A...show is what you insinuate Chic Fil A does and an example of not serving someone because they are gay.

Something tells me you cannot do that. But there is always that article where Chic Fil A gave out free
    Chicken Sandwiches for a Reds game for the fans who wore Reds gear...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Does only refusing to serve gay people make them anti-gay? If supporting groups that support conversion therapy doesn’t make one anti-gay then I don’t know what does. I don’t understand the Reds game reference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    If Obama donated to groups that support conversion therapy, yes that would make him anti-gay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are certainly reaching as far as you can...

Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    10-15 years ago it was mainstream in the Dem party to be against legal gay marriage (Barrack, Hillary). I am not holding it against righties that had a longer learning curve than the left. CFA is a fine organization in my book and employs gay kids. Not perfect organization except for their fried chicken.

I know a lot of FCA members too and they spend zero time talking about interfering with gay rights. Sure they preach puritanical no sex before marriage (don’t all follow) and gay is wrong (don’t all follow) but that’s religion. They may teach no swinger lifestyle too but that doesn’t interfere with your right to be a swinger.

I guess I’m pretty liberal with the righties too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    I was not familiar with 'conversion therapy' or the organizations that Cathy donates to, so I looked into this: conversion therapy was accepted mainstream practice up until a few decades ago. Homosexuality was classified by the American Psychological Association in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders until 1973. The ministry that Cathy donated to has disavowed conversion therapy, just like the APA had after many years of believing the practice of being able to 'cure' homosexuals had merit based on work going back to the 19th century. The ministry (Exodus Global Alliance) that grew out of Exodus International says this: "many of the people in Exodus once were homosexual men and women. We know what it feels like. We've experienced the hurt and rejection. We also know what it is like to want a relationship with God and wonder if there is any hope for us. We know from personal experience what it means to ask if change is possible. And we know from personal experience how change happens and what change looks like." How We Began
    Exodus International - Wikipedia

10. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    That's a pretty good post, City. As to our 'learning curve', remember that "Tradition (GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy)
    means giving a vote to most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about. All democrats object to men being disqualified by the accident of birth; tradition objects to their being disqualified by the accident of death. Democracy tells us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our groom; tradition asks us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our father.”

11. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    QGator, apparently we're not 'woke'.
    "Woke is a stamp of approval, a self-congratulating label, a goal, a challenge. Most importantly, it’s a boundary line separating people. The word is a floating signifier serving as a PC litmus test while concealing the often shifting requirements to pass. It signals that cultural progressivism is a secular spirituality in want of a coherent theology. In the catechism of this ersatz religion, woke is a kind of creed."
    Gnosticism: 'The doctrine of salvation by knowledge.' Gnostics were “people who knew”, and their knowledge at once constituted them a superior class of beings, whose present and future status was essentially different from that of those who, for whatever reason, did not know. That encapsulates the logos of millennial progressivism in our time. Analytical argument is out. Overly simple in/out group bifurcation is in."
    If we happen to see the world in a different way, we're not merely wrong, we're immoral. And in the clownish vulgate of online progressive culture, forged in the inchoate fires of a shrill Gnosticism, we can identify members of the flock by the slang term 'woke.'"
    Scott Beauchamp The True Purpose of the Term ‘Woke’

• Like Like x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    *groans*
    Hopefully, somebody (or somebodies) set them straight.

13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with your point that believing marriage is between a man and a woman does not make you "anti-gay".

But if they donate to groups with anti-gay programs and agendas, that is a direct indicator on their feelings and their actions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    BLM will argue that it is fringe groups joining their events that say and do things like you saw in the video. It wasn't them.

The exact same argument that the Trump campaign makes about the Proud Boys and other violent racist groups that support Trump.

At what point does the organizer of the events bear culpability?

Does knowledge that such a group will join in and start trouble at your events make you culpable? Having that knowledge and not doing anything to dissociate from those groups? Not doing anything to involve law enforcement to handle those groups?

To me, knowing those groups are joining/supporting your cause and not doing anything to stop them or dissociate from them makes you culpable. Certainly, if you encourage or incite them, you should be held accountable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    That March ended in the day. Anything at night wasn’t associated with that March. This was a false flag deliberately planted by right wing nuts. They were paid actors snuck on film in the dead of night when organizers went home. I saw it on video with my own two eyes. I’ll bet google is hiding that too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Are we just going to skip over the fact that a guy calling for the execution of gays is a cop? That guy should be removed from his position, IMO. I don't think that anyone who thinks a group of people should be murdered based on their sexuality should be in a position of authority with a department issued firearm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Oak, I discuss this in my post #89 this thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    He's a former cop: Cracker Barrel cancels church event over pastor's LGBT execution remarks
    "He took a buyout and no longer works there. District Attorney Charme Allen is reviewing pending cases investigated by Fritts."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    • Agree Agree x 2