Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cracker Barrel refuses church group

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jun 19, 2019.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If you made it clear you were discriminating against them because they advocated the killing of LGBTQ people and not because of the color of their skin, you would be within the law. Doesn't mean they can't sue, anymore than it means the white bigots can't sue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Unless you literally say explicitly that you did it because they were minorities, you are on pretty safe ground legally speaking. That doesnt save you from a potential PR problem, but people forget in like a week and move on.

3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Including not buying anything

they were loitering. that triggered the big controversy about Starbucks then making the announcement that homeless people can use their bathrooms.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    it has nothing to do with the First Amendment.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Chic fill a is not known for being anti gay. But carry on and I will say I should add that ignorance may need to be accounted for.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is such a thing as fairness across the board... It's called a debate. I never said that this case lives in a vacuum without repercussions of this happening to a Pubs leaning owner...

7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, simply for being cops.

8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, it does.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Please explain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s your opinion. I added links to reference my points. Here are more:
    Pro-LGBTQ-rights consumers vow to boycott Chick-fil-A after it announces it's opening in Toronto — here's why the fast-food chain is so controversial
    Why Chick-fil-A Still Hurts: Queer Trauma in the Age of Trump
    Chick fil A COO Dan Cathy Officially Comes Out as Antigay

Now if you don’t want to believe those, maybe I’m not the ignorant one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I already did. Some dumnazz said some sick bigoted crap, which oddly enough might still be considered free speech, and has nothing directly to do with any one particular person in that business... which is the reason why he cannot eat in the Cracker Barrel. Now unless this person targeted a person in the business then I don't see why they should refuse him service, unless he specifically called out one of the people in that business. If that's the case then I can see why...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    You probably need to read the First Amendment. Here it is:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Taking the stance that marriage is between and man and a woman is not anti gay.

If you can give me an example of Chic Fil A refusing service to someone who is gay because they are gay you will then have an example. But citing an agenda being pushed by people who do not like the position of the owner of Chic Fil A is not anti gay. Shoot one of your articles was about Chic Fil A giving out free chicken sandwiches (on opening day I believe) to a Cincinnati Reds Baseball game if they wore Reds gear. Somehow you want to turn that into anti gay?

But carry on with the agenda I suppose. Ignorance is bliss.

14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Rick, do you ever check the validity of some of the claims?

FALSE: Black Lives Matter Protesters Chant for 'Dead Cops Now' in Baton Rouge

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No doubt it's a curtain or they are just really really dumb. Christians are followers of Jesus who tells us to love our neighbors. Executing gay people would be the opposite of that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I wonder how many times a person can make this mistake, have it explained to them why it's a mistake, yet continue to make the same mistake in the future.

Is Gator Country taking away your first amendment rights because they censor you from saying certain things on Gator Country?

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Absolute nonsense. Believing that marriage consists solely of a union before God of one man and one woman does not make a person "anti-gay". This is how the language is corrupted with vacuous broad-brush smears, "anti-gay", anti "marriage equality" and so forth.
    When Barack Obama said: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage", did that make him "anti-gay"? Of course it didn't, such labels are reserved for conservatives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Again go back and read the links as to what the Cathy family who own Chick Fil A has said and acted upon. Read the link below. Why do you think LGBT groups all over protest Chick Fil A?

Chick-fil-A’s many controversies, explained

“In 2011, the same year a Pennsylvania Chick-fil-A franchise donated food to a local anti-gay organization, the LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Matters obtained tax records which revealed that the Cathy family had donated more than $1.9 million to anti-gay groups in 2010 through the WinShape Foundation, the Cathy family’s charitable giving organization founded by Truett Cathy in 1984. Those donations included a $1.1 million gift to the Marriage & Family Foundation, a group that promoted so-called traditional marriage and opposed both gay marriage and divorce; $480,000 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, an athletic organization that requires applicants to agree to a “sexual purity statement” that condemns LGBTQ people for living “impure lifestyles”; and $1,000 to Exodus International, a group that promotes anti-gay conversion therapy.

For Chick-fil-A’s opponents, the problem was bigger than Cathy’s anti-gay comments, it was that he was apparently putting his money where his mouth was, and he had a lot of money to go around.”

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Are they barring people just for being gay at Chick-fil-A?

• Like Like x 2
  20. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you denying that as an organization, they have supported anti-gay causes?

• Winner Winner x 1