Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cracker Barrel refuses church group

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jun 19, 2019.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This group was on record calling for murder of LGBTQ people. It is absolutely in the interest of any business or public organization to deny the group use of their facilities on that basis.

As far as somebody making something up about a group as a bogus reason to deny access, that would be slander (or libel), and against the law.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One is for religious purposes, and they were NOT refuse service. Just writing on the cake, which they were still allowed to buy, just not with customized art/lettering on it... and the other is not. But I don't care either way. I just want clarity as to these differences.

3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Privately owned alone is what you believe should be the standard of determination of service? The Supreme Court would disagree with you on that one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't say that I wouldn't refuse them either. I would. I just want to see if all is equal under the law, that's the point I want to find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you see a difference between people calling for an execution of people for their beliefs/values/desires/behaviors vs. not wanting to support said beliefs/values/desires/behaviors?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

6. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I don't understand, in the conservative mind you don't have to bake a cake for a gay wedding but you have to serve some disruptive religious people? Where's the principle here?

7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    What if you work for the president of the United States of American, can that private business refuse them service simply for that? Or if these people simply voted for Donal J. Trump? Can that business refuse them service as a privately own establishment?

8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Why do you keep misrepresenting the truth here? The cake was okay to sell the gay couple, just not with the embellishment that the customer.s wanted on it. Do you NOT see the difference there?

9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would hope so. We don't need to start creating more protected classes. (Hope for the right to do so, not hope that they would actually do that)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. wgbgator

Yes, I think that's why they were denied entry, the same reason a lot of people would deny service to some open white supremacists who are Republicans and not just someone who's a Republican, even though they broadly share some of the same beliefs.

11. wgbgator

Well its already happened. And the same people were scandalized.

12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Businesses can refuse service to anyone they wish as long as it isn't on the basis of a federally protected class. This isn't hard to figure out people. We banned a patron from my bar because someone he was with stole from us and we didnt trust him around.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

I'm not saying that I believe that the Supreme Court is necessarily right either.....my thoughts are that any one who owns a private business should have the right to who they serve and that they should suffer the consequences of those decisions as determined by the free market.

I come from a long line of family bakers on both sides with my mothers side being democrats (Italian immigrants) and my fathers side being republicans (German immigrants) and both sides had the same opinion on issues of this nature.

I'll give you whatever specialty baked good you want for whatever reason......pay me

I don't understand why businesses today are so eager to take positions on social issues......personal opinions are bad for business anyway you slice it.

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. wgbgator

The truth just seems to be that some Christians want it both ways, protect their ability to impose their bigoted beliefs on people, but also protect them from bigotry being imposed on their own.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. wgbgator

It really isn't, I mean if you want the guys who go around loudly and proudly saying they want to execute gays to patronize your business, god bless you, but they wouldn't be welcome in most people's establishments, unless they were totally inconspicuous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    First of all I want you to know that I would do the same thing that the Cracker Barrel owner did in this case...

Now... what I'm stating is that there seems to be two standards here. I want you to tell me the if there is a difference between saying those bigoted words is the same think as writing it, or drawing some nut job hater killing a LGBTQ person?

17. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    A couple of posters have already covered this, but you can't deny service to people based on a characteristic that is a protected class. Political preferences are not protected so you could deny service based on that, but can't imagine many businesses doing that.

18. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting... And what do you think about these words that were shouted by people in the streets. "what do you want, dead cops? When do you want it? NOW!"

Several cops nationwide actually died becasue of that hate speech... I see the hate speech on both sides.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. wgbgator

So why is there even an argument about this? No one's rights were violated and you'd do the same thing.

20. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Additionally, I think that knowingly hosting a group that has called for execution of certain people creates a huge liability issue if a member of the target group comes in and gets attacked or killed. This particular situation goes beyond wanting a civil respectful atmosphere in your establishment. It's a huge public safety concern.