Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cracker Barrel refuses church group

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jun 19, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Its pastor, who is also a cop, has called for the government to execute gays. Where do these people come from?

Cracker Barrel in Tennessee turns away Grayson Fritts and his church

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I wonder what Cracker Barrel would do if these were black muslims with the same beliefs and they weren't causing any trouble there. They would probably have a lawsuit on their hands for refusing to serve black customers at a place of public accommodation.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Sounds like a good call for Cracker Barrell as reading through the lines this was not some loser just showing up for a meal. We had to boot a patient once from the practice because of the way they treated our hygienist. I am all for serving people you disagree with but there is an expectation from both sides. And this appears to be an instance where the customer was not going to be showing any respect to the establishment but instead coming to cause a scene.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If the customer just showed up to eat...there would be no news about it and they would be served and things would move on with nobody knowing about it. I do not get the feel that this meeting at Cracker Barrell was meant to be that kind of situation.

Edit (looks like the post this was responding to was removed)

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. obgator

obgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    My previous post calling these group of people as bigots (which was deleted) has nothing to with religion. How else would you classify a group of people following a person calling the government to execute gays or any other group of people. I don’t think this group reflects a Christian world view and are just using religion as a curtain to hide behind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

LOL what a cool combination, guessing he's not big on 'separation of church and state.'

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I cant see the whole article what scene did he cause? I can only see from the part I can read he was being barred for those beliefs being brought to their attention.

Like I said above I would like to see a place of public accommodation try this with some black muslims that have the same beliefs. I believe a chain like Cracker Barrel would never try it in that situation.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't you know that you can discriminate against white people if they say stupid crap. It's legal... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure if refusing bigots is legal or not in a country that allows for people to say stupid crap... First Amendment Rights might just trump getting even with bigots.

10. wgbgator

Their 1st Amendment right to eat at a privately owned Cracker Barrel? "No shirt, no shoes, no service. Saying stupid crap and behaving like a jackass? Service guaranteed, its your right."

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Your use of Chic Fil A was an absolute generalization of Christians in my book. Hard to believe otherwise. If not then my position wrongly assumed the intent of your post. The fact it was deleted though gives a lot of credence to my assumption.

12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    If they said it in the store, that's one thing, but to permanently ban them is another thing all together. I just wonder if people can just make crap up and say they said this or that just to refuse people service. What's to stop that. Say a group of Dems come in from a rally and have all of their Dems gear on, and the owner hates Dems and said he heard racist remarks from them. Can he refuse them service on a lie? You see this slippery slope of hate/intolerance and what can come from this.

13. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    If their leader was calling for the execution of gays, I’d hope they refuse to serve them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I do not think a scene was made because I think Cracker Barrell was ahead of the game and made sure there would not be one. That said I am reading between the lines as there is not enough information to say that is fact. But a no name guy like this is typically an attention seeker. If he had just shown up at the Cleveland Cracker Barrell with the group of losers that no one knew and they just ate a meal...I have a hard time believing a single person in Cleveland would have known any different. My guess is he was touting it and trying to make news. I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. wgbgator

Dude its a privately owned business, they have extremely broad latitude to refuse service to people, excluding certain protected categories (like race). And I've got news for you, "political beliefs" isn't one of them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    You can discriminate against anybody for saying stupid crap.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Cracker Barrel doesn’t owe its patrons 1st Amendment rights. It’s a private business not the government.

The same people who support a baker’s right to refuse serving gays seem to struggle with Cracker Barrel’a right to refuse to a bigot who called for the execution of the very person the baker didn’t want to bake for.

Ain’t life ironic.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. obgator

obgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    How is saying this particular group of people can eat a Chic Fil A generalization of Christians? I wasn’t aware only Christians eat there! Chic Fil A has a known stance of being anti-gay:
    Years later, Chick-fil-A still feels heat from LGBTQ groups over anti-gay marriage remarks
    Chick-fil-A same-sex marriage controversy - Wikipedia

I don’t think all or most Christians share these views. The mods can explain why the post was deleted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Good that means more cornbread muffins for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    So, they're governed under different laws than corporations are? of so, then we've seen tons of phony crap like this one incident in the past. In Colorado, I think. The private owner of a bakery/cake store that refuse to put gay writing on a cake? And then he got sued for it? It that the same thing? Refusing service for the owner's view... or personal, religious reasons? Are these the same thing or very different?