Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cox (former UGA player) Signs with UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by pd_gator, Aug 8, 2019.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    And Kirby was shocked of course.

2. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    This will be our second year in a row in getting a 5 star recruit out of the portal. It really does make you ponder what happens in recruiting that makes Georgia, Ohio State, etc. so appealing to go to out of high school, but then after admission to those schools makes UF look so attractive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Seriously, if Fields was granted a waiver because his previous coach called the dumbest play in college football history for him to run, can't Cox say he no longer feels comfortable playing for the dumbest coach in college football history?

I'm just glad our last 2 seasons won't be remembered for the last play of the entire college football season and then the dumbest play in college football history.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm all for second chances and a fresh start, but if there are legitimate issues regarding Cox's ability to get along well with teammates and coaches, I hope Mullen keeps him on a short leash.

As for UGA fans saying the kid is a quitter and lazy, how many lazy kids play 13 of 14 games and start a bowl game as a true freshman?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    It appears from the article he will appeal and we'll have to wait and see what comes of it. Based on there being "clashes" with coaches, I wonder if he may have some basis he or his lawyers feel may give him cause to win an appeal. We'll see what happens.

7. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    Also, hope this guy is/becomes a SSDE. Next year we have i Carter.

8. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Recruiting starts early, especially for the top tier guys. Some players are getting offers in the 7th and 8th grade. You get 5 years of famous people kissing your butt and everyone around you telling you how great you are, it's easy to see how things can get a little sideways when the player gets to college and has to work harder and the coaches that were kissing your ass a year earlier are now ripping you a new one when you miss your assignment.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. I have no real concrete idea the root cause of the problems for Cox was here, but he's a great talent that never seemed to fully buy in. For 11 games out of the season I hope he figures things out for himself and goes on to have a great NFL career.

As far as the 2018 class goes, this is the third player from that class to leave. Fields left to go get a starting job at Ohio State, Luke Ford went to Illinois to be closer to home and now Cox.

For your last sentence I don't believe at all that anyone is being promised a starting job. You are free to disagree if you like, but logically there's no way to do that and not be labeled a liar on the trail, and Kirby has been recruiting too well for too long to have that kind of reputation. I think they are all offered an opportunity to compete for a job and I think a lot of players, especially the top tier ones, think they can come in and just take the job. That kind of overconfidence is partly what makes them great. But not all of them are able to take things over and the measure of all of them is how those that can't respond when they have to sit and wait their turn.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Absolutely.

If the son of a bitch didn’t shoot the President, I say give him a second chance.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Not a bad idea to bring him in. He has to sit a year and mature. If he doesn't and gets himself in trouble, they can run him out on a rail. If he matures, buys in and stays out of trouble, then we got a good player to add depth or possibly be a starter. Muller probably figured it was worth taking a flyer on the kid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think almost every school that recruits really well has similar problems. I think we've had similar problems in the past.

12. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    So has he lawyered up? Or is this speculation?

13. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Total speculation. But the article states that he would need to petition and if he's going to do that, I can almost guarantee there will be a lawyer involved, if there isn't already.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The optimist in me says that some of these kids that had issues at one school can change at another school because it may be the first time they have been humbled due to the ass kissing fiasco recruiting has become.

The other part of me says if they didn't feel the responsibility to themselves, family, coaches and teammates in the first stop then they just are who they are a la Willie Williams...

15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Senior

Aug 30, 2017
    There were no sanctions involved when Fields left for OSU or when The Tater went from OSU to scUM.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    The GATORS getting a Five Star... Wait...What....I like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They were not transfers within the SEC. I don't know the rule for certain but understand that the SEC can have a more restrictive policy.

18. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    You really should try to stick to stuff that is believable.

Laziness, buy in, work ethic is not the issue for a player when he has played almost the whole year as a freshman despite having more experienced players at the position. I can believe weed, toxic personality, crimes or lack of team bonding, but he was on board to play, so buy in was not the problem.

Fields left because the offense did not fit him. He came in expecting to play in an offense that fit him, and it was obvious that they tried to play him to appease him, but the pro style offense they put him in did not flatter him. If you do not believe this, then why do you suppose there are no more dual threat QB looking seriously at Uga now. They should have leveled with him. There was no way he was unseating the starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    He did lose a defensive coordinator, so that may be part of his case.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If he has a leg to stand on a lawyer will find him

• Winner Winner x 1