Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cowboys interested in Urban

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mcogator, Dec 6, 2019.

1. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Wow, didn't see this coming. I would much rather have Urban coaching in the NFL instead of in college, except as our recruiting coordinator. Not sure how successful he would be in the NFL, as the talent level will be much more even, though he would have a very talented roster in Dallas. I would take an interest in watching their games.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably explains the USC/Helton maybe kinda sorta retaining/firing weirdness. Their big fish had other options.

Urbs would have to really get some top notch NFL guys to prop him up. Just don't see it as a great fit, especially with JJ's personality.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    This means that Bob Stoops is definitely going to the SOW.

And also the math is a bit tricky, but UCF National Champions!

• Funny Funny x 8
  4. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    If this comes to fruition, it will go down as the worst college coach attempt to coach in the NFL. This will be a failure of epic proportion because Urbs approach flat won’t work in the NFL. Additionally, his scheme / playbook is so simple the defenses will have a field day. Read Nick Saban’s book (one of the best I’ve ever read) to understand why coaches like him fail in the NFL. Urbs is cut from the very same cloth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree it is doubtful Urban would be a success in the NFL. However, I also remember many that said his high school offense and his motivational approach would not work in the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    In all seriousness I don’t get why Dallas is such a coveted job. Yes Jerry World is nice and they pay well, however Jerry Jones has proven to be impossible to work for over the last 25 years and anyone hired there is doomed to fail. Jerry won’t stop meddling and the HC will basically be his pawn.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Is she saying they're looking at Tony Elliot as HC? I think the guy has a nice future, but he's not even the sole offensive coordinator on a college team

8. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    His offense relies almost entirely on having far superior athletes than the competition. That won't be the case on any NFL team.

9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jerry needs a yes man, not a HC. Elliot's lack of experience/identity is his a plus in JJ's eyes.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    Would this be an adequate summary? “It’s a lot harder to cheat in the draft.”

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That makes sense. At this point, I'm surprised he hasn't just coached the team himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    From everything I know (and I have extremely good contacts in the Cowboys organization - as good as you can have unless the contact’s last name is “Jones” - I guarantee you my contacts are better than Jane Slater’s) they are really enamored with Lincoln Riley, not Meyer. There are however concerns as to whether or not Riley will leave Oklahoma, and to quote my source “Jerry doesn’t like to take swings unless he knows it’s a homer.” My expectation is that they wait for Oklahoma’s playoff run to end and then make a really strong push for Riley,. If they can’t get him, maybe they consider somebody like Meyer or maybe they’ll stick with Jason Garrett. But remember you heard it here first – Riley is the guy they really want

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Where's the hookup on tickets and access? I'm local to DFW.

14. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    What scheme? He has no scheme. He could be a great NFL coach because he’s good at being coach, and hiring the right people, he just has no ability to call plays.

When he was at UF, if was all CDM, and in fact at BG, and Utah too. Then he was able to recruit any coach he wanted. Won’t be as easy to do that in the NFL but it’s possible.

These scouts of played and coaches don’t just do things willy nilly. I mean JAX could have filled their stadium every week if they had taken Tebow but they didn’t THINK they could win with him and the NFL is in the business of winning and Meyer isn’t being considered (if he is) because he can’t win.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    I never ask clients for favors like that. The one time I went to a game on a clients dime (I sat with his wife because she didn’t have anyone to sit with) it got thrown back in my face later.

That said I do get invited to watch one game a year up in the box. Wasn’t able to go this year

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He’s become one of the best “CEOs” in football which will give him a huge edge in the NFL

But not having a massive talent advantage will be different for him

17. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Urban Cowboy
    [​IMG]
    Sorry...couldn't resist

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    I don't know about all that. Obviously you missed details in page 136

19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I believe you are correct.

While I consider Urban to be the one of the best college coaches out there, I don't think he will succeed in the NFL. Out recruiting his competition in college is key to his success, and he can't do that in the NFL.

20. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    He is a competitor. All successful coaches want to see if they can win at the NFL level. Spurrier tried and failed, but he wanted to know for sure. Urbs may feel the same. Who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1