Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid Free headlines?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 6, 2021.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Most people would have thought the world would return to 99% normal as quickly as the vaccines rolled out.

Low vaccination rates and the delta variant surge threw a pretty big monkey wrench into that. I expected and predicted one last “surge of the unvaccinated” once the vaccination data started getting disappointing, and the general nuttery around that. But the surge was way worse than I would have imagined (in lots of places they managed their worst death records AFTER vaccines were available, truly disgusting that almost all caused by misinformation).

Hopefully that’s the end of the major surges, the surge of the unvaccinated was predictable. The future is harder to predict as far as where this thing settles more permanently as an endemic virus (does it drop below flu with a sort of long term quasi herd immunity built up, or does it come back in waves to be occasionally worse than flu when immunity wanes). I don’t think anyone can credibly predict that right now. It has to be actively observed in real time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Numbers have certainly been coming back down, which is a great development although we're not likely to be out of this mess for awhile. Noticed though that FL covid deaths have nearly caught up to NY as a result of the delta variant and DeSantis' killer anti-masking policies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One very minor correction.
    MSNBC has 4 articles and 1 blog on former President Trump.
    The good news is that maybe he just isn't newsworthy anymore although that will most likely end when he holds his next MAGA rally, makes another statement proclaiming his victory in the 2020 election or when he hits the campaign trail in support of primary challengers to Republican officeholders who haven't been sufficiently deferential.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yeah, Generally there are multiple Covid related headlines. What you see is not a headline.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    From CNN's website this morning:

upload_2021-10-7_8-43-31.png

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  7. tilly

Gotta love how some claim Fox is the extreme one when MSNBC still has 5 or 6 Trump articles on their front page some days.

They...all...suck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Gotta love Fox News with the Ludacris reference re Biden poll numbers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    MSNBC may well be as bad as Fox. I don't look at MSNBC's website or broadcast.
    I look at CNN and Fox websites probably at least once a day. There's a distinct difference. CNN attempts to cover the news. Fox is just bad stuff about Democrats.
    Current lead stories:
    CNN - Studies confirm Pfizer's waning immunity
    Fox - UNITY DOWN THE DRAIN
    Bernie Sanders refuses to condemn aggressive left-wing activists who cornered Sinema in bathroom

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Luckily FL has returned to normal. The only time in the past 6 months I've worn a mask was in the airport. My kids haven't worn a mask in school all year. Life is normal in FL. Sucks for other places.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

Yeah, now go back a year and tell me what CNN's headlines were. They were obsessed with Trump. That just switches based on who is in power.
    Fox ignored Trump and changed the subject.
    CNN ignores Biden and changes the subject.

Dont believe me? Check the wayback machine from one year ago...
    https://web.archive.org/web/20201006013744/https://www.cnn.com/

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Well, that is clearly not from a year ago, since he wasn't impeached in October. That is clearly from the aftermath of January 6.

13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Valid point on that one day. But I've mentioned this before.
    Before the pandemic, I was often at the gym at night with overhead TVs on both Fox and CNN. CNN was undoubtedly focused too much whatever latest gibberish came from Trump. But it also made some attempt to cover the news.
    Fox was always, at least in prime time, meaning Carlson and Hannity, nothing but bad stuff about Democrats.

14. tilly

I agree about the talking heads. I am more speaking of the web presence which is more news focused and less entertainment focused. But seriously, any one watching Don Lemon and saying he isn't just a liberal hack is being naïve. CNN is just less glitzy and tacky about the presentation. The primetime segments on all 3 MSM networks is just confirmation bias with a bunch of flashing graphics.

15. tilly

The link I posted is from one year ago yesterday when Trump had Covid.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. tilly

upload_2021-10-7_11-35-45.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tilly

If you hover over the link you can clearly see the date of 10-6-2020 embedded

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I realize that, but I clicked on it. It wasn't that.

20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Let's not forget that a year ago Trump was still the president and additionally was hospitalized at Walter Reed with Covid-19 at the time. What was surprising was that he received much less coverage from Fox. A president hospitalized with a potentially fatal disease should be newsworthy. Let's also not forget that Trump had two risk factors indicative of a potentially negative outcome for Covid-19, he was over the age of 65 and obese.