Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    thank you all great wise one.

transfer the off topic posts from here to there, shall you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the great yoda has seen the wisdom for the other thread and unlocked it. lets keep this thread pure for the HOF nomination. It is a great chronology complete with links of what was happening and when with respect to the treatments and vaccines.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

From the website:
    Facemasks in the COVID-19 era: A health hypothesis

The physical properties of medical and non-medical facemasks suggest that facemasks are ineffective to block viral particles due to their difference in scales [16], [17], [25]. According to the current knowledge, the virus SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter of 60 nm to 140 nm [nanometers (billionth of a meter)] [16], [17], while medical and non-medical facemasks’ thread diameter ranges from 55 µm to 440 µm [micrometers (one millionth of a meter), which is more than 1000 times larger [25]. Due to the difference in sizes between SARS-CoV-2 diameter and facemasks thread diameter (the virus is 1000 times smaller), SARS-CoV-2 can easily pass through any facemask [25]. In addition, the efficiency filtration rate of facemasks is poor, ranging from 0.7% in non-surgical, cotton-gauze woven mask to 26% in cotton sweeter material [2]. With respect to surgical and N95 medical facemasks, the efficiency filtration rate falls to 15% and 58%, respectively when even small gap between the mask and the face exists [25].
    =============

National Library of Medicine - National Institutes of Health

Is this a "garbage website" too? :D

4. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Did you read the disclaimer? I'm going to guess no

PolitiFact - Medical Hypotheses journal article lacks evidence that masks cause ill effects

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Thanks Tilly for speaking up.

No where I have purported to be an "expert" but I do have a wee bit more experience than all the internet epidemiologists out there.

Sadly people will make their own opinions based on what they want to believe.

I was pointing out the difference between full approval and EUA sadly some still want to argue they are equal and they are not.

I can see both sides of the argument for or against vaccines, having seen and treated tens of thousands of people for all manner of illness that's what happens.
    You have to be able to put yourself in the shoes of the patient and understand their concerns, explain why their concerns may not be that big of a deal based on the facts of the matter. Forget the fact I've run clinical trials fulltime for 6 years, been a sub-investigator on over 500 trials, have helped companies like Biogen, Eli Lilly, Novartis write their trial protocols. Helped build a small research site into one of the top 20 sites in the US in the area of Alzheimer's research.

So if someone says the FDA has said COVID vaccines are completely safe and effective that is a misrepresentation of what the FDA has said, further more there is a long list of drugs the FDA approved (full approval) that after further evaluation were removed of given black box warnings. Baycol, Bextra, vioxx etc. How can that be? Weren't they studied? The answer is this sure they were studied in groups of say 40k people for 1-2 years but when given to 20-30 million people for 5 years you have more data and new safety signals can emerge.

That's why I can see why some people may be concerned about the safety question, it doesn't make them idiots or Trumpistas. I can respect their feelings because I've had to do that my entire career.
    As far as vaccinating kids there is a good argument why do it because their risk of severe disease is slow very low, there are many vaccines that we don't mandate because it is unlikely we will contract the illness. Personally I think that is more of a personal choice. Look up the HPV vaccine concerns for an interesting take.

Mind you if schools demand it their house their rules. Just like when football players can't shake hands after a game where they were all over each other for 60 minutes (it's silly but their rules).

The pause in the J&J vaccine certainly doesn't help breed confidence in the matter BTW.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It isn't a study, it isn't peer-reviewed, it wasn't done by Stanford. If you read it carefully you will find a lot of links to studies that back up tertiary points, but nothing that supports the main theses of the "health hypothesis". Junk science, well-sourced and written in a way that sounds plausible, but still junk science.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah when I opened the link and saw the letter Q I wasnt chancing it and immediately closed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That's completely false.

Show me where I said these vaccines are dangerous.

Show me where I said they are unsafe.

Since you really don't have a clue how studies are normally done I'll give you a pass.

I did say I can understand why some people may have concerns, but I deal with patients who have all sorts of worries, that doesn't make them stupid/ anti-vax/ trumpistas/ anti science, it makes them human.

9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you, sir!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It's mind numbing. He wont post one single fact to back up his claim. I never understand it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    This silliness was posted all over FB. Amazing that people fall for this crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is the kind of crap that makes my blood boil:

An unvaccinated worker set off an outbreak at a U.S. nursing home where most residents were immunized.

Basically a non vaccinated old folks home employee infected a bunch of people, and a few died. Thankfully most were vaccinated and the vaccinate worked except in one case.

One, why do health facilities not require vaccination? I recall talking to a hospital worker in early January and she said many employees were opting out, or to wait. Perhaps that has changed since then.

People who choose not to be vaccinated lead to others deaths. Indirectly or directly. Period.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It is a bad study. Lots of discussion about it from the research scientists here. And it isn’t a treatment, cure or vaccine

15. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
  16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    For the folks that enjoy reading research studies... it amazes me the amount of crap that gets published. I guess peer review can’t reject any without endangering their own;)

Even with my lack of understanding of multi syllabic words, it doesn’t take many pages of raw data to go wtf

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This story, about the Kentucky nursing home is actually part of a larger success story that the anti-vax, anti-science people do not want to read, nor hear about. Sadly, in Kentucky, the ignorance level is pretty high, and so you get deliberate and willing human disease factories in our nursing homes, hospitals and medical offices resulting in an unnecessary death. Frankly, I think the family of the deceased should sue the facility over this.

What we’re learning from the rare cases of COVID-19 in vaccinated people

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    That's awesome news but when is the CDC going to let fauchi know just how good the vaccines actually are?

19. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Why don't we flip the narrative from what has been posted in the past. If you're scared of the vaccine YOU should just stay home. That way the rest of us can get on with our lives. Ya know, MY freedom. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Bernie Sanders toured the country vilifying Corporate America and hitting the pharmaceutical companies especially hard. Young people, especially, bought his act.
    Bernie told them, and they believed him, that those companies "would sell out consumers and their own workers for a nickel" Now you expect those same young people to believe that those same pharmaceutical companies did not cut corners when making the vaccine.

It is widely believed that the government is paying white cops to shoot young blacks males due to systemic racism. (Even Joe says so.)
    Now that government wants young black males to believe they have their best interest at heart in regard to the vaccines.

The government, in more than one state, has attempted to put Christian businesses out business for practicing their religion.
    But now need those same Christians to trust them.

All across the spectrum we are taught to mistrust both corporations and government and when people don't we are shocked?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1